Sign in to follow this  
Eason

CO-4000

Ran across these 2 today. Don't see many anymore.

20180110_092720.jpg

20180110_092754.jpg

20180110_092809.jpg

Especially day cabs.

Dennis

42 minutes ago, jingles1928 said:

Especially day cabs.

Dennis

exactly what I was thinking

I rode in truck almost just like that except with a sleeper, from Ashburn Georgia to Chicago Illinois with a load of watermelons in about 1979. I swore if I ever got back home I would never ride in a semi again.  It was hot in there, that thing rode like a two horse wagon and I think we changed every tire on it before we got back. They still look cool though. I would take off in one now and smile all the way there and back.

Think you could still clamber up over the wheel to get in the thing?

21 hours ago, DONS 504 said:

cummins powered are they from north carolina

Ha-Ha...  I was expecting to see the back half of a 6-71 Detroit sticking out behind the cab in that one picture.  IH's answer to the GMC Crackerbox.

Company I drove for kept buying more and more used TranStars. From Ruan Leasing, Saunders Leasing, plus several they already had.  I drove one a couple times.  By the time I did my 450-500 miles and three loads of freight climbing up/down into one of the @&%#? things I was tired.  Tried to stay with my conventional tractors, Cummins powered,  No Detroits!  For a month or two I ran Davenport to Chicago, loaded both ways and picked up six loaded trailers to shuttle 2 miles to the Milwaukee Railroad Intermodal yard, and grab six emptys and spot them for the next day.  Total of 14 trailers a day including my loads to/from Chicago.  If I had good luck, after Rush Hour, I could shuttle all 12 trailers to the railyard in an Hour!  I'd be 3-4 consecutive check-in's in a row into and out of the railyard.  And I still spent more time waiting in line than driving.  I was about 35 years younger back then,  had one speed,  Wide Open!

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:28 AM, DONS 504 said:

cummins powered are they from north carolina

Yes they are in Rocky Mount, N.C.

7 minutes ago, Eason said:

Yes they are in Rocky Mount, N.C.

What model Cummins are those? I see the one pictured is naturally aspirated.

I'm thinking they are 230s. I think the 250s had turbos

1 hour ago, Eason said:

I'm thinking they are 230s. I think the 250s had turbos

Those are still 855cui? NH series?

That takes me back!  1974 was 18 years old,  old 4000 with a sleeper cab, a 318, 5 spd trans and 3 speed rears, old truck was rough to ride,  impossible to sleep in when rolling and we thought we were in tall cotton.  Hauled a lot of red iron from midwest to Pa though.  Been looking for a clean one but they aren't out there anymore. There was something known as a 4090 built for just a short time or at least Ive seen advertisement literature on it, built for the NY Thruway. I would love to find one of them.

that would be a 250 n/a likely, yes and the old 4090s a turnpike special equipped with a 12v71 i believe tackaberrys has one, good day