Sign in to follow this  
greenredneck

666 power steering issue

666 power steering not working. There is some leakage at instrument cluster from steering motor? (steering wheel),

but that would not be enuogh to not make it not function. where do I look, or pressure test system to see what the problem is.

Any help is appreciated. Harry.

Sorry, don't why it posted 3 times.  

Does any hydraulics work??

Got Hy Tran in it ? Have it in warm shop , change out oil and filter , then raise front end off the ground and unhook the steering lines up to the front wet bolster . Slam the front wheels from side to side and the milky water/oil will come out of there . Repeat this a few times after hooking up the lines and unhooking . The oil leak on your hand pump is easy to fix , just get the seal kit and you replace it in the tractor .

Start with this first and if it don't fix it let me know .

Danny 

Thanks for the reply's. Finally had a day you could  get it outside get it washed and cleaned

up. will see where leaks originate from and start from there. will post as I learn more,but progress may be a little slow . I don't move as fast as I used to.  Going to paint the tractor when I get issues resolved. Another question---- can you get that operators platform out of there without removing clutch and brake pedals ??.  Harry

Yes the plate form will pull out toward the rear and up around th seat .

Danny 

Okay the hydrualic leak at console is coming from a hose easy fix. I have no hydraulics at all.Lots of oil it's a little over the full  mark and oil was changed recently.  Don't know about the filter, will check there first. can you change the filter without losing oil. I will update as we progress.

5 hours ago, greenredneck said:

Okay the hydrualic leak at console is coming from a hose easy fix. I have no hydraulics at all.Lots of oil it's a little over the full  mark and oil was changed recently.  Don't know about the filter, will check there first. can you change the filter without losing oil. I will update as we progress.

Charge hose a little rubber hose just under fluid in the back end came off or bad...park on A hill like your changing pro unit, remove top link cover

And it's a piece of hose about 5/8 and 3 inches long...id bet that's it...

15 hours ago, mader656 said:

Charge hose a little rubber hose just under fluid in the back end came off or bad...park on A hill like your changing pro unit, remove top link cover

And it's a piece of hose about 5/8 and 3 inches long...id bet that's it...

madder656, Is the you meaan attached to this tube . You can just vaguely see the end of it under the top drive shaft, It is about 5/8 or 3/4 inch but then gets quite a bit bigger. could some-one have put a screen on it ?. If I am looking in the right place, can i take that pipe out by disconnecting it at coupling just visible at top of picture to inspect the end Can't see under crown gear to see the end of that tube. I'm not a mechanic so don't want to remove  somthing i can't put back on without having to do a major teardown. This tractor comes from a home where maintenance is not on the agenda. Even thou oil was changed there was still a little water in the bottom of case when drain plug was removed and as you can see some of the oil in the bottom of rear end was milky. Looking trough case I-H Parts book I see there is a filter at the hydraulic pump also Have not checked that yet. could not find that pipe in parts book. what is the hose you mentioned attached to?. 

IMG_3094.jpg

Sorry they must have updated between the early 656 and the 666... To a metal hose...unless that is a coupler under the pto drive shaft... The hose on mine is higher than that...

0113181457.jpg

3 hours ago, mader656 said:

Sorry they must have updated between the early 656 and the 666... To a metal hose...unless that is a coupler under the pto drive shaft... The hose on mine is higher than that...

0113181457.jpg

Yes the coupler on the steel tube is the nut that is just visible at the top of the picture, runs along the bottom of the case then appears to go to rubber hose right under the crown gear.where id the pickup to supply the oil to the hydraulic pump. this pipe going up seems to  there to lubricate the differential in case of low oil since it has what appear to be drip pipes across the top of the differential cage. So again where does the hydraulic pump pick up its oil supply?.

16 minutes ago, greenredneck said:

Yes the coupler on the steel tube is the nut that is just visible at the top of the picture, runs along the bottom of the case then appears to go to rubber hose right under the crown gear.where id the pickup to supply the oil to the hydraulic pump. this pipe going up seems to  there to lubricate the differential in case of low oil since it has what appear to be drip pipes across the top of the differential cage. So again where does the hydraulic pump pick up its oil supply?.

I believe it picks up out of the rear diff...

Next place I'd look would Be pull the pump if it's the same as a 656 there is a inch long pickup tube with a oring that goes bad....

Before you Go father did the problem start instantly or went out over time....?

With that much moisture in oil your filter has to be plugged in below freezing temp.   The filter for pump is on right side of tractor, six bolt plate. It is a paper filter with a bypass valve screen in the end of it .  That pipe coming down is the return oil from the hydraulic pumps and it directs the return oil right into the main suction pipe on the bottom of that case and lead to the filter. 

Those small pipes up above are lubricating pipes coming from oil cooler return and are separate from that large pipe, (not connected).  If that large return pipe is solid, not able to shake it around and the large tube on bottom is also solid you  should not be having any problem in that area.  

Here is the other thing though, you have contaminated oil in all the other places that oil is trapped so it is hard to get all the water out.

52 minutes ago, pete23 said:

With that much moisture in oil your filter has to be plugged in below freezing temp.   The filter for pump is on right side of tractor, six bolt plate. It is a paper filter with a bypass valve screen in the end of it .  That pipe coming down is the return oil from the hydraulic pumps and it directs the return oil right into the main suction pipe on the bottom of that case and lead to the filter. 

Those small pipes up above are lubricating pipes coming from oil cooler return and are separate from that large pipe, (not connected).  If that large return pipe is solid, not able to shake it around and the large tube on bottom is also solid you  should not be having any problem in that area.  

Here is the other thing though, you have contaminated oil in all the other places that oil is trapped so it is hard to get all the water out.

Good to know Pete23, I was of the same opinion that there was nothig wrong  in the area I was looking at. I will check the two filters next , the one you mentioned on the right side ( main filter), and also the smaller one on the left side at the hydraulic pump. Will check for bad o-ring at pipe also.  There was very little oil that was milky , and it drained out the drain plug first. So what in your opiniun is the best way to clean this up. Install a tap in drain hole and every time tractor sits a few days after use drain a little oil off Will this eventually clean it up, this tractor is not going to be doing much work?. Thanks. Harry.

1 hour ago, mader656 said:

I believe it picks up out of the rear diff...

Next place I'd look would Be pull the pump if it's the same as a 656 there is a inch long pickup tube with a oring that goes bad....

Before you Go father did the problem start instantly or went out over time....?

Can't say for sure,and the grandson who owns the tractor is now in new zealand. I will enquire.