Sign in to follow this  
Reichow7120

A sad reminder for those of you with skid steers to be careful

Friday evening a friend of ours was killed in a skid steer accident. From what I've read and heard from other sources he was using his skid steer to load his outside wood boiler when somehow while he was doing this he ended up getting pinned between the loader frame and the safety cage. When someone found him he was still pinned in the skid steer with the skid steer going around in circles. First responders got him unpined but attempts to revive him were unsuccessful and he was declared dead at the scene. A sad situation all around.

I know that this cold has left everyone short tempered and in a hurry but a step back to be extra careful might be the thing to do.

x2, I've taken plenty of unnecessary risks in my day, lucky to still be here.

Sorry to hear it, what an awful scene to to find your friend or family member like that.  Make sure you're right with God, never know when He will call you home.  Praying for those he left behind.

Skidsteers are one of the most useful tools ever built, but also one of the most dangerous, my condolences to you.

There was a farmer here that was thrown from his skid steer pushing poop or cleaning his bunker up. Not sure what happened but icu stay in hospital, broken ribs and such. 

Sid

Very sad.  I don't know statistics but I would bet they are one of the largest causes of injury or worse on farms.  A serious reminder of the risks associated with machinery. 

That poor family....prayers for comfort

Looking back I remember reaching into the cab to drive one or not using the seat belt, climbing under the loader to get out stupid heavy loads, almost dropped a 200 rock on my lap, way to steep of terrain ...lucky a few times in those machines. Last time I used one I was a little less adventurous. 

Be careful

WE HAD A NEIGHBOR KILLED IN A SKID STEER ACIDENT YEARS AGO. BATTERY WAS ALWAYS DEAD SO HE WOULD LIFT THE LOADER UP AND PROP I AGAINIST THE SILO. THIS WAY HE WOULD JUMP START IT. SKID LOADER ROLLED BACK AND HE GOT CHOKED TO DEAD.

Hate hearing stuff like this, condolences to you and his family 

Will be praying for comfort for the family. We also use a skid steer at our place and I am always cautious about my surroundings when using it 

3 minutes ago, Atilathehun99 said:

That's it. I couldn't figure out how to post the link. Thank you. 

1 hour ago, ihfarmer1586 said:

Sorry to hear it, what an awful scene to to find your friend or family member like that.  Make sure you're right with God, never know when He will call you home.  Praying for those he left behind.

Yeah it is awful finding a loved one like that. It sticks with you the rest of your life. That's what Dad says anyway. When he was 17 (January 1972) he was grinding feed for the pigs. They had the pigs running in a lot behind where his Grandparents lived. His Grandpa was burning brush in the fencerow by his house. Somehow he caught on fire. He had bad hips so he couldn't get down and roll himself out. Dad came around the field to unload feed in a pig feeder when he looked up to see his Grandpa staggering up the driveway with all the clothes below his stomach burned off. He was in shock obviously. Dad rushed to give aid while yelling for his Grandma to call the ambulance and to get his Dad. He ended up with 3rd degree burns on over 60% of his body. He ended up at the burn ward at the University of Michigan hospital where he slipped into a coma and died 14 days later. Ive always heard that the burn ward was the worst place in the hospital.

One of my highschool classmates lost her dad to a similar thing with a skid loader.

I have more hours in a skid steer than any other machine, have done many things that could have gone wrong.  As long as you stay inside you think Your safe, have rolled several rocks off back of bucket right inside, never more than a skinned up shin.  Closest I have come was pushing brush piles, everything going well so moving along quick when a stick grabs the ground and rams right inside cab, missed Me by a hair and would have been ugly.  

Had a guy here a few years ago rent a tire skid steer.  Was cleaning up around a new house on the lake, driving up to bluff over lake and dumping rocks over side, think HE had it raised up and tipped front over bluff straight down into lake.  Drowned inside machine.  One second all is good, next Your looking at the carnage from up above.

Prayers for family from Tennessee.

Ever since i was a kid dad always told us when you switch buckets always get in pick the arms curl bucket and check to make sure bucket is latched once a habit you just always check! Nieghbor kid was being smart a$$ dove up to uncles truck with bucket of poop acting like he was gonna dump it on roof bucket fell of totalled truck! Pretty sure thier mighta been poo other than on the truck! Be careful stuff can happen to anyone!

Lost a few acquaintances over years to skid steers. 1 or 2 every year up here get killed. A lot skid steers around dairies and inexperienced operators. Not a good combo. The newer ones with full cabs help a lot as most get killed sticking head out of cage and drop boom on themselves.

My thoughts and prayers are for that family and yours. We probably all do things that could go wrong from time to time and get away with it most of the time. Stay safe

If the engine is running, the only safe place is belted into the seat. 

Jumped out of mine today in a box stall to fork loose manure into the bucket with it idling and realized how stupid I am. 

I reached in and killed the motor.

Stupid stupid stupid.

Sorry to hear this. Prayers for the family. They have gotten slightly safer as time goes by but there's FAR too many that I have seen with safety switches bypassed. Our XT models the Hydro is disabled when out of the seat, our old 1840 is scary as heck as the drive is live whenever it's running

33 minutes ago, MTO said:

If the engine is running, the only safe place is belted into the seat. 

Jumped out of mine today in a box stall to fork loose manure into the bucket with it idling and realized how stupid I am. 

I reached in and killed the motor.

Stupid stupid stupid.

I've thought the same thing as I have reached through the window to run the backhoe, hopefully this will be a wake up call to everyone! 

My condolences to all, and my prayers to the family.

Lots of people refer to any make skid steer as a Bobcat. Was the skid steer really a Bobcat brand or some other?  I have a Bobcat model 753. Engine will still run if you get out of the seat but drive levers and foot operated loader controls are locked so they can not be activated. 

14 hours ago, ihfarmer1586 said:

X2

It hurts to hear this and imagine the horror evolved.

Only by the Grace of God go I , Got knows I v'  done so much that could of ended in disaster.

Prayers for His family !

Tony