Sign in to follow this  
hobbyfarm

H and M auction value

These are coming up on a local auction in February.   I wouldn't mind having a new and affordable toy to play with.  The description says restored although it sure looks like they have rusty valve stems.  Both are run of the mill with drawbars and 1 set of remotes.   Bothhave power steering.  I am looking for any guesses on auction value.

Screenshot_2018-01-06-18-51-40.png

Screenshot_2018-01-06-18-53-16.png

IF you could confirm everything at 100% and that's a big IF , that M is a top dollar $3500.00 around here.

central mn  you would be hard pressed to get 2200 for the M and 22-2500 for the super h unless 2 headstrong people attend the auction or a relative which will inherit part of the proceeds any way

The M has live hydraulic, the Super H is a stage #1, no live hyd.  Both look to have good tires on the rear, but the M looks to have 12.4x38's, small for an M,  most have 13.6x38.  I think the M would be $2500 to $3000, and like R190 said, could go higher if two stubborn guys both want it.  The Super H is about a $2000-$2500 tractor. Not having live hyd hurts it.

9 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

The M has live hydraulic, the Super H is a stage #1, no live hyd.  Both look to have good tires on the rear, but the M looks to have 12.4x38's, small for an M,  most have 13.6x38.  I think the M would be $2500 to $3000, and like R190 said, could go higher if two stubborn guys both want it.  The Super H is about a $2000-$2500 tractor. Not having live hyd hurts it.

Doc: Take a close look at the distributor area of the Super H. That looks mighty like a vertical Delco distributor and a live hydraulic pump where the distributor normally goes. Let me know what you think. 

1 minute ago, George 2 said:

Doc: Take a close look at the distributor area of the Super H. That looks mighty like a vertical Delco distributor and a live hydraulic pump where the distributor normally goes. Let me know what you think. 

You are right!  I've never actually seen an H/SH with that live pump on it in person, in fact this is only the second one I've seen a picture of.  That adds $500 to my numbers.

I'd be curious how the power steering is set up on the SH.  Not enough room under the hood for the Saginaw pump with reservoir,  have to cut a large hole in left front corner of hood so reservoir sticks out a bit. But with live hyd it could run off the live pump with a priority valve.

I've seen several other Super H's with that grill on them.  No holes punched for the cultivator support rods.

They both have PS and George is right , I believe that's the M&W set up that can use the IH distributor in a vertical mounting

here is a pic of the M&W pumps. I believe it has the first one on it ( 1px) 

correct me if I am wrong but that tractor has a '54 grille on it

m&w.jpg

Maybe this is the picture  hillman posted. It didn't show up for me.  Can see the flow divider or priority valve on the M and the H probably has one also with the line going up under hood first. Probably charr lynn steering units on both.  Stage 2 SH started November 53 and several before then got the grill and upper bolster with holes at the corner.  Bolsters more common after serial number 16000 plus and grills more common as closed in to serial 19234. Since the bolster and grill would work on any SH they didn't follow any serial number order below 19234.

100_5819.JPG

You guys are a wealth of information.  Both tractors are listed as having 12.4x38 firestones.  It would be real easy to get upside down in one of these in poor condition.  I have 3x more then what I paid into my last project and it isn't done yet.  A bunch of mta's md's, md-ta's on this sale as well although I don't know they would fall within my "fun" budget.  if you check out aumann auctions don hershey collection there are more then 100 tractors selling in mid February.  My only connection to this is a as a bidder.

Just some rambling thoughts from someone who farms with an h yet. If getting a letter series I would avoid the m-d. Don’t get me wrong they’re very cool but they seem to be quite prone to head problems. Especially with people who don’t know what they’re doing. If you end up with an h or m the parts support for tractors that could be almost 80 years old is just amazing. And the fact that so many were produced means salvage parts are cheap and plentiful. The md might offer some fuel saving and cool factor but the gasser will likely be cheaper and easier to work on