leeave96

66 and 86 Tractors - What Are You Getting Into???

86 series is much nicer and quite tractor to operate all day. The doors are fine, just put on the door shocks that hold the door open, makes it much nicer getting in and out. Simple to fix, ac systems are good. The starter is tough to get in and out, but I replaced the original bolts with socket cap screws so I can take them out with a ball driver end hex. 

We traded a 1466 with nice cozy cab for a nice 1086 back about 91.  The 1466 probably had a few more hp but the cab on the 1086 was a huge improvement in my opinion.  The shifters and door on the 1086 weren’t perfect but it was so much quieter and comfortable to operate.  That said,,,, both where darn good tractors that served our farm well for years.

this is is  a test of the photo system- also  to let you know not all 86s are trashed out.  One of these  has 10,200 hours and the other just over 6k   

the team.jpg

Nice 86's 234 ia how long have you had the 10???

2 hours ago, 234-IA said:

this is is  a test of the photo system- also  to let you know not all 86s are trashed out.  One of these  has 10,200 hours and the other just over 6k   

the team.jpg

Agreed!

KIMG0067.jpg

KIMG0401.jpg

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:48 AM, Reichow7120 said:

I'd take a left hand shifting decent 86 series tractor with its cab over a 66 series any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I've ran a 986 and a 1466 and we still have a 786. I developed a extreme dislike of 66 series after running that 1466. I swear my ears still ring from running it and it's been gone since 2007.

x2

There's no better way to learn the differences than to experience them for yourself. Find examples of each for sale, spend some time kicking the tires, and see what you think. Best if you find ones on a dealer lot rather than wasting a private seller's time if you're not going to buy. That's a salesman's job. Sure you may have to put up with followup calls but don't be afraid to say NO. You're not being rude.

ih crazy:  thanks, we've had the 10 about a year and a half now.   First time I had it over to the rented farm the landlord was  out in the yard so I stopped to visit.  He was looking  at the 10 with a funny expression and I said, "well I bought another one" and he said "That explains it - I *thought* you always had a 986"

INTERNATIONAL 1466:   my, that's a nice pair of 14s.  You sure have the one well anchored down 

to get back on topic:  that 10 is why I say without receipts they're all gambles.  I bought it from the third owner, who hadn't owned it for long but had  his and the previous owner's maintenance records dating back 20 years and approximately 1000 hours-  mostly oil changes and AC work.  I could see by the paint being off the bolts  the TA split had been done at some time in the past, and I braked hard and pulled that TA several times and it grabbed each and every time.  After it came home the TA still worked just fine for the first 150 hours or so but lately it slips every now and again.  Also a heater hose gave up, the thermostat stuck open and the TA spool on the MCV, the lower link on the 3pt and the 540 shaft seal all sprung leaks.  Not the end of the world- the tractor basically runs out great and I bought it for reasonable money- but a touch frustrating.    Also, Matt Kirsch has the right idea about  taking the time to crawl over 66s and 86s to decide what you like

Having put a lot of hours on my old open station 766, and quite a few hours on Dad's factory cabbed 1066 and 886, my personal preference would probably be a 66 series if you want an open station tractor, and an 86 if you don't.  But a really nice 66 with factory, or Hiniker, cab would still be in the running for me too.  Just my opinion.

4 hours ago, 234-IA said:

that 10 is why I say without receipts they're all gambles.  I bought it from the third owner, who hadn't owned it for long but had  his and the previous owner's maintenance records dating back 20 years and approximately 1000 hours

Even with receipts it's a gamble. Our 1486 had a $14000 work order on the rear end with 100 hrs on it from a reputable shop when dad bought it. Didn't last us a year and then we had to do the exact same job because someone decided to weld a shifter plate crooked instead of replacing it for $150. 

I could go on and on like that, so I'd rather buy something cheap expecting to have to repair it, and then you know what you got. Now if it's your only or main tractor, that's not a good idea lol unless you have time to repair it when the suns shining

The thing is with these old tractors is you can buy them with some issues for pretty cheap.  If you are capable of doing the work yourself, you can end up with a rebuilt tractor that you know for sure what you have for not a whole lot of money.  

You can buy a 1086 for 5-6K  even if you put 20K in it making it all run and look like new, where are you going to find another 130hp cabbed tractor for 26K that's in excellent mechanical shape? 

If you can't do the work yourself you can always send them to Mike in Southern IL. You'll have more in it, but 100+ HP tractors aren't cheap, and you'd essentially have a new one that's 40 years old! :)

I bought a 2 owner 1086 with 6500 hrs on it in 2012 it is a 79 previous owner bought in 81. I put about 250-300 hrs a year on it. In the spring I depend on it and of it goes down I am up a creek. It looks good and little has gone wrong with. A few seals and a radiator and a whole ac system. It was all I could afford at the time and cost a bit more than 10000. I have been lucky to have got a well cared for one that I use hard but it is older than me and could lay down anytime.