leeave96

66 and 86 Tractors - What Are You Getting Into???

One of the things I enjoy is window shopping IH tractors, from the 56 series through the 86 series.  One of these days I’d like to add a 66 or 86 tractor to the fleet - but for now content with refurbing/rebuilding the 756.

I’ve got a neat program on my iPad, called CSmart and I can do mass searches for “International”, “Farmall”, “IH” etc.  So I’ll get results for tractors like the 986, 1086, 966, 1066, etc.  Somewhere between $8k and $12k, hours from 7k-ish to 10/11k.  Some look great, others look like they have never had a handful of dust wiped off.  Who knows how many hours and the extent of hard labor or determine any lower hour rebuilds from the tractor’s past.

So for your $8-10k, what are you getting into with these 86 and 66 tractors from a financial titanic standpoint - yet know they are still farm useable?  How do you buy/determine you’ve got a field ready or near field ready tractor vs a boat anchor for your $$$’s?

You folk’s farming with these tractors vs collecting/restoring, are you still on the lookout for these older 86 and 66 tractors and if so why?

My motivation is “affordable” bigger power on our small farm.  I like that there a limited set of IH tractor models and therefore a more focused base of knowledge, i.e. Redpower.  Whereas JD has so many models, other than the 4020, IMHO it’s a sea and potential Internet/mechanic support is somewhat thin?  My other motivation is the prices of new/newer 80-120 PTO hp tractors.  IMHO, one can get a lot of IH tractor, along with refurb/rebuild vs those prices.  Those are some of the reasons why I’m sticking with a refurb/rebuild on my 756, it just pencils out better.

Farming with 86 and 66 tractors.  Are these IH tractors still a good purchase for today’s smaller farm looking for higher hp than a utility?  Are you still looking to buy them for your farming?  Where do you draw the line on buying them from a cost vs repair/rebuild standpoint.  How do you buy knowing you got a reasonable field ready tractor - without just rolling the dice?  Loaded questions...

Thanks!

p.s. - in December we added a 9ft Krone disc mower conditioner with impellers (grass hay/anyone running a Krone? ), so definately want to get the 756 on its feet...

86 series probably one of the most abused tractors made. Many were made to be a size or two bigger during hard times of the 80s and service intervals neglected too. Good ones today are pretty scarce

Find someone local that knows them. Take them with you when your serious. Read read read on here. There are a handful of issues that both models are notorious for that once your aware you can look for. 86 series have been discussed in detail several times about the good /bad on here so you can search for that. I think if you find a decent one either model would be good. I paid $10k for both of my 86's. They were both nice and original but needed rubber to me. I'm picky about rubber. In my area that's normal price. Guys claim in other areas nice $5k 86's but I've yet to see it. Rubber is big money. Price out tires front and rear and then you know going into a deal your going to spend another 2500+\- on them if needed. If you see a local farmer with one stop and ask him about it. Heck if you flagged me down I would spend a few minutes to show you about them. You should be able to get a decent 66 for $10k and that would be starting point on 86 in my area. Like I said guys will argue that

the newest of them is 37 years old so unless the seller has a batch of fresh shop tickets you're gambling.   Even one of those "grandpa bought it new in '77 and only used it to  plow the garden" tractors can become one great big rolling oil leak once you start to use the darn thing

that said, a lot of people hated the 86s, almost as many just took 'em out and beat 'em into the ground, but if you can live with the left hand shift they make relatively cheap and reliable power with a decent cab for a smaller farm

I'd take a left hand shifting decent 86 series tractor with its cab over a 66 series any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I've ran a 986 and a 1466 and we still have a 786. I developed a extreme dislike of 66 series after running that 1466. I swear my ears still ring from running it and it's been gone since 2007.

Parts are cheap for the 86, ain' much there that can' be fixed

I beg to differ on the 66 series. I have owned both a 1066 and a 1086 and I can say I sure preferred the 1066. That left hand gearshift, can't see your drawbar feature, and the rough ride sickened me on the 1086. I got rid of it after a year back in 1978 and bought a good used 1066. I kept that 1066 until 1990 when it got traded for a 7110 Magnum. No way for the 1086. Furthermore and irrespective if you prefer the 66 or the 86 series a reman DT 414 from SRC thru a CIH dealer is not that expensive. It is just transmission work that gets expensive. So look for one with a good transmission and T/A and off you go. 

Bought this 886 a while back at a local dealer.Previous owner traded it for a newer Caseih.I traded a nice 656D and 3900 dollars for it.Has around 56xx hours,runs really good.Has New rubber on the rear.It is leaking oil from rear main but not enough to worry about right now.Will fix when I can.I'm a mechanic by trade and farm on the side so repairing my own stuff is part of the game.If you have decent wrenching abilities these tractors are not to bad to work on.

Paul

20170917_112503.jpg

6 hours ago, George 2 said:

I beg to differ on the 66 series. I have owned both a 1066 and a 1086 and I can say I sure preferred the 1066. That left hand gearshift, can't see your drawbar feature, and the rough ride sickened me on the 1086. I got rid of it after a year back in 1978 and bought a good used 1066. I kept that 1066 until 1990 when it got traded for a 7110 Magnum. No way for the 1086. Furthermore and irrespective if you prefer the 66 or the 86 series a reman DT 414 from SRC thru a CIH dealer is not that expensive. It is just transmission work that gets expensive. So look for one with a good transmission and T/A and off you go. 

SRC engine rebuilds are questionable at best.....

Have a 1086 with an SRC with 5000 plus hrs on it and doesn't use a quart of oil in 100 hrs.

Watched a 756 sell today for about $6500. Hiniker cab no heat, 1 remote, like new tires f/r, 7000 plus hrs. 

9 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

I'd take a left hand shifting decent 86 series tractor with its cab over a 66 series any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I've ran a 986 and a 1466 and we still have a 786. I developed a extreme dislike of 66 series after running that 1466. I swear my ears still ring from running it and it's been gone since 2007.

I agree.  I can tolerate all of the 86 series shortcomings long as I come home everyday without the ringing ears or thin film of dirt on me.

We have had a '79 1086 since 1981. It was the big tractor until we got an 8920 in 2009. The 1086 is still used often, even recieved the step and door upgrade with all led lights being replaced. We also had a 1066 with a Year-round cab and loader for about 10 years.

My question is, do you want a cab or not??

Guys whine about the left hand shift and "backwards doors" on the 86 series, but it doesn't bother me one bit. The creature comforts are miles ahead of anything that can be had on a 1066. The stereo is nice, the ac is awesome, the cab is quiet, good visibility. I really have no complaints other than the ride is a little rough in tough going, but that's with anything. We do have a K&M air ride seat which is ok, but the magnum seat is much nicer. One thing that would really finish the cab off would be a tilt wheel.

If you don't want a cab, the 1066 black stripe would be my top choice. In fact, fundamentally there are very few differences between the 1086 and 1066 black stripe.

Long story long, both are great tractors if maintained, that will do very well for not much money. Aftermarket companies are building products such as, door kits, step and hand rail kits, air ride seats, larger hydraulic pumps, bright LOW AMP DRAW work lights, and many other things that make these tractors more enjoyable to operate. For example, an upgrade to the hydraulics, led lighting, cab kit, seat and a decent paint job can be had for less than $4,000.00. The mean auction price currently for a 1086 with 6-8k hours is $7,000.00 If one would put  $5,000.00 into the tractor to make it "nice" you would still pay less than the interest on a newer machine. 

Here's our 1086 that pulls the little planter.  Good luck with "the hunt"

20170529_205409_HDR.jpg

I agree with Rescue11.  I you want a good cab go 1086.  If you want a good platform tractor go 1066.  Performance wise they are more or less the same anyway.

Myself I'd be going 1086.  I had tears of joy when my Uncle's showed up 20+ years ago.  Prior to that it was 1066, 1466, 1566.....both series have something serious under the hood, but the 66s let you know it. 

Thanks everyone!

Cab noise, is the 86 quieter because of better insulation and cab isolation vs the 66 cab?  Are there upgrades (other than buying an 86) /mods you can do to the 66 to make it as quite and comfortable?

1066 and 1086 both have the DT 414, the 986 and 966 have (if I recall correctly) the NA 436, yet the 86 tractors have more hp.  How is this possible?

Did IH make a water filter standard equipment on the 86 and 66 tractors?

How deablitating are the shift linkage problems on an 86 tractor, expensive/easy fix, split ever required?

Tractor split, does it require cab removal on either 86 or 66 series tractors?

(edited 866 to 966)

2 hours ago, leeave96 said:

Thanks everyone!

Cab noise, is the 86 quieter because of better insulation and cab isolation vs the 66 cab?  Are there upgrades (other than buying an 86) /mods you can do to the 66 to make it as quite and comfortable?

1066 and 1086 both have the DT 414, the 986 and 866 have (if I recall correctly) the NA 436, yet the 86 tractors have more hp.  How is this possible?

Did IH make a water filter standard equipment on the 86 and 66 tractors?

How deablitating are the shift linkage problems on an 86 tractor, expensive/easy fix, split ever required?

Tractor split, does it require cab removal on either 86 or 66 series tractors?

986- NA 436

886- 360

water filters were not standard on the 66 I don't believe. Not totally sure on the 86

56 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

986- NA 436

886- 360

water filters were not standard on the 66 I don't believe. Not totally sure on the 86

late 886 had the German 358,  early had the Melrose Park 360

Water filters were not available on the 66 series when purchased new. The water filters were standard on the 86 series starting in late 1977 and available for retrofit on previously built 86 and 66 model tractors.

You can make the old 66 series tractors quieter by adding additional insulation. In particular the special heavy weave lead lined floor insulation that is available now makes a solid improvement in noise. Similarly additional insulation on the cab pillars helps.

shift linkage problems are usually pretty easy fix on the 86 series once the seat and seat platform are removed. cab removal for clutch splits are not required for either model. the cab has to be removed on a 66 series for transmission and differential work. does not have to be removed on an 86 series

4 hours ago, leeave96 said:

You can put as much sound deadening material in a 66 series cab as you want, and it still won't be nearly as quiet as an 86.  The 86 series completely isolated the cab from the rest of the tractor, whereas on the 66 series the tractor extends in to the cab.  From what I remember from running Dad's 1066, most 66 series gear noise in the cab comes comes up through the steering column.

Funny, I remember seeing IH ads when the 66 series came out that claimed the new deluxe cab was the quietest ever tested.  It probably was at the time.

6 hours ago, leeave96 said:

Thanks everyone!

1066 and 1086 both have the DT 414, the 986 and 866 have (if I recall correctly) the NA 436, yet the 86 tractors have more hp.  How is this possible?

Got both series here. I would take the 86 cab over a 66 any day, although there is alot more leg room in the 66's. You cam have the radio on relatively quiet and still here it in the 86, but it has to be cranked in the 66 unless the tractor is just idling. 

Did you mean 986 and 966? If so the 986 has the NA 436 where as the 966 had the NA 414. 

20 minutes ago, db1486 said:

Did you mean 986 and 966? If so the 986 has the NA 436 where as the 966 had the NA 414. 

Yes - 966 and 986.  Edited the my post to fix.  Thx!

Not my video, but one going over their 986.  Interesting comment regarding tractor length being the same as the 66 series, only the cab moved forward and the hood is shorter, giving the impression it’s shorter than a 66 tractor.  I assume that applies to wheelbase too.

2 hours ago, Steve C. said:

Funny, I remember seeing IH ads when the 66 series came out that claimed the new deluxe cab was the quietest ever tested.  It probably was at the time.

They were definitely a step above the steel rattle trap cabs we were used to at the time and probably would have set an industry standard if they had come out on the 56 series instead of a year before the SGB.

86 cab is very nice, just put the K&M door kit on them that uses a gas strut to open the door and you will love it.