Sign in to follow this  
farmallman77

Farmall h headlights. led????

I was on steiners website the other day and saw led bulbs for h tractors.  6 and 12 volt.    Here's my question.  Are they better/worth it over regular old bulbs?   Anyone tried em?   

Chris

Screenshot_2018-01-05-18-07-08.png

Screenshot_2018-01-05-18-07-22.png

22 minutes ago, pt756 said:

how many lumens are the old bulbs?

Most of the lumen ratings I saw were on LED bulb sales sites.

SON bought similar bulbs for frt & rear taillights on his '93 Lightning pickup years ago.  A normal 1156/1157 bulb had a wide angle of light disbursion, meaning you could definetly tell the light was ON when standing off to the side, even close to 90 degrees. The LED bulbs were Very directional, they were bright head-on directly in front of them.  Get 10 degrees to the side and you couldn't tell they were on.  He went back to incandescent bulbs after a week or two.

The original #1133 6 volt bulbs work best in the original Guide light. The filament is in the precise location for the reflector to concentrate the beam. The LED seems to produce a less concentrated beam and is very blue and not nearly as bright. The 1133 is 400 lumens, the LED ( Steiners) is 120. 400 lumens is approximately equivalent to a 40 watt household incandescent lightbulb.

You can however, position PAR 36 type LED's inside the housing and these are very bright and looks stock. And somewhere I saw them advertised with a 2700K color which will look just like incandescent. Best of both worlds!

Yeah, those "cob"  lights just don't put out the light that the original bulbs do. They're very directional and the reflectors in these old units don't do enough to make the light go where it needs to. Much better to find sealed units but I've only ever found these for 12V tractors.

I'm old fashioned when it comes to lighting on old tractors.  I like OEM even if it doesn't make it brighter.  Nothing quite like a sealed beam or simple 12V headlight bulb.  ^_^ 

Agree with Drglinski on originality,  but if your using, not collecting it, convert it to 12 volt and get the Par36 replacement lights that have fluted lenses. Pop them into the original light housing and Bam. Thought about putting leds on our M for raking and auger duty since it's been converted. It will crank over sooo much nicer!

Quick search reveals a fairly inexpensive kit. https://antique-tractor-parts.steinertractor.com/tractor/12-Volt-Conversion-Kit-For-Farmall-H