dieselox4

The new New Holland Crawler

Recommended Posts

Driving home from work tonight (about 5hr drive on I-10 east) I passed about a dozen flatbeds hauling these crawlers.  This past Fall, I was shopping for a TD with loader and couldn't find anything so I settled on a local Allis Chalmers HD5 with loader.  Its been going well.  During the time of looking I wondered why AG didn't get back into crawlers.  Read lots of great posts from you all in the know and remember IH getting out of the crawler market.  

 

I just find it interesting that someone thinks there is a market for crawlers that the current market isn't meeting.  Im curious to hear what others think. 

 

Neat to see though!

 

$54,000-$78,000 and 64-88HP

tk4000-gallery-08.jpg.c21471883a87dd5fbccc4776f25b573d.jpg

tk4000 Crawler.png

tk4000-gallery-12.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll guess that you're getting exposure to what has been the Fiat ag crawler line.  For a while when the Fiat Allis crawlers disappeared from your market it looked like they were still available elsewhere as New Holland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Orchards and Vineyards probably. Sure looks like fun. Maybe if I start to play and win the lotto I could afford one :D Interesting pictures for sure. Thanks for sharing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I my part of the world with hills with all the vineyards the NH crawler is very popular. But there are several others Lamborghini,Same,and Morooka. Back in the 80's there where some Fiat crawler labeled as Heston,which became NH.

The NH week point is the 3pt hitch if they are jerked around and finals don't make much over 4000 hours. Lamborghini will break frame rails if you put a big sprayer on the 3 pt and then weight the front to keep it down for hill climbing. Not many of the others to really know much.

 

Have a good friend that has used T and TD 6's and finally got a NH as was having trouble finding parts for IH anymore. Lets the help run the NH and still runes a TD6 till he is out of parts tractors.

 

 

Dieselox4 In my option your better off with a HD 5 than a TD 9. But a abused 60 year old tractor is disaster waiting to happen so hopefully you got cared for machine no matter what brand. Since they are a smaller machine you need to take your time and not us it as a battering ram. But I have a HD 5 that been a very good machine for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dieselox4 said:

Driving home from work tonight (about 5hr drive on I-10 east) I passed about a dozen flatbeds hauling these crawlers.  This past Fall, I was shopping for a TD with loader and couldn't find anything so I settled on a local Allis Chalmers HD5 with loader.  Its been going well.  During the time of looking I wondered why AG didn't get back into crawlers.  Read lots of great posts from you all in the know and remember IH getting out of the crawler market.  

 

I just find it interesting that someone thinks there is a market for crawlers that the current market isn't meeting.  Im curious to hear what others think. 

 

Neat to see though!

 

$54,000-$78,000 and 64-88HP

tk4000-gallery-08.jpg.c21471883a87dd5fbccc4776f25b573d.jpg

tk4000 Crawler.png

tk4000-gallery-12.jpg

There has been a AG market for crawlers sense they were first developed. In fact the very first ones were built for AG as no one had though about putting a blade on one. The market in the US is small. Not many people need or want one for most farming operations. But world wide there are markets.

Cool that you posted this. Didn't know Fiat was still selling something like that! Be interesting to know how parts support is on those? That's the downside to owning an old T/TD 4-5-6. Lot of stuff just isn't available that are high wear, rails, sprockets and such.

Rick

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, oldtanker said:

Cool that you posted this. Didn't know Fiat was still selling something like that! Be interesting to know how parts support is on those? That's the downside to owning an old T/TD 4-5-6. Lot of stuff just isn't available that are high wear, rails, sprockets and such.

Rick

In our experience there is no shortage of Fiat tractor parts in Italy.  It seems the problem in places is making the connection to them.  In this part off Oz we have two "parallel importers" who have made that link.  Speedy service even if it has to come from Italy. 

The ag crawlers are in high demand for hobby farms etc here.  One of the attractions being parts availability.  I'm not sure if new ones are available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, oldtanker said:

There has been a AG market for crawlers sense they were first developed. In fact the very first ones were built for AG as no one had though about putting a blade on one. The market in the US is small. Not many people need or want one for most farming operations. But world wide there are markets.

Cool that you posted this. Didn't know Fiat was still selling something like that! Be interesting to know how parts support is on those? That's the downside to owning an old T/TD 4-5-6. Lot of stuff just isn't available that are high wear, rails, sprockets and such.

Rick

 

Maybe a business opportunity for someone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ray54 said:

Dieselox4 In my option your better off with a HD 5 than a TD 9. But a abused 60 year old tractor is disaster waiting to happen so hopefully you got cared for machine no matter what brand. Since they are a smaller machine you need to take your time and not us it as a battering ram. But I have a HD 5 that been a very good machine for me.

Ray54,

 

Yes I was looking for a TD9 and found a few.  Just not any with the loader.  The HD5 I purchased is in great shape.  Track adjusters work, Good Hyd and rams that don't leak, much. Only issue is the Radiator leaks a little.  I've got a great local Rad shop that will be taking care of that this spring.  It was local so no driving to get it and its a low hour with no show of wear on the pins. I'm happy with it but like you recommended,  I take my time. 

 

00p0p_bN9w66SLU7T_1024x768.thumb.jpg.80adfb44b9e4fa572c36a8674c1550ff.jpg

 

Seeing them yesterday, they definitely didn't look as sturdy as the TD9 and AC HD5/6.  So yes I was curious how they did on tillage equipment. I wouldn't have thought there would be 3pt issues after reading 4100lbs lift.  I thought the weight was low for a 90hp at 10,800lbs but I'm guessing as everyone has stated mainly for vineyards they want the lower weight.

 

 

Quote

There has been a AG market for crawlers sense they were first developed. In fact the very first ones were built for AG as no one had though about putting a blade on one. The market in the US is small. Not many people need or want one for most farming operations. But world wide there are markets.

oldTanker,

 

This is what I thought.  When looking this past year for one, I would have thought JD, Case, NH, MF, etc or others would have continued to offer an affordable AG crawler.  Not just for the commercial or construction guys.  Then my thinking was that maybe there were plenty of used machines in the 50+ hp market of used construction equipment that those listed above couldn't compete in the JD world market. 

 

I've been by plenty of AG dealers like NH and never seen these until yesterday on the HWY. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, dieselox4 said:

Ray54,

 

Yes I was looking for a TD9 and found a few.  Just not any with the loader.  The HD5 I purchased is in great shape.  Track adjusters work, Good Hyd and rams that don't leak, much. Only issue is the Radiator leaks a little.  I've got a great local Rad shop that will be taking care of that this spring.  It was local so no driving to get it and its a low hour with no show of wear on the pins. I'm happy with it but like you recommended,  I take my time. 

 

00p0p_bN9w66SLU7T_1024x768.thumb.jpg.80adfb44b9e4fa572c36a8674c1550ff.jpg

 

Seeing them yesterday, they definitely didn't look as sturdy as the TD9 and AC HD5/6.  So yes I was curious how they did on tillage equipment. I wouldn't have thought there would be 3pt issues after reading 4100lbs lift.  I thought the weight was low for a 90hp at 10,800lbs but I'm guessing as everyone has stated mainly for vineyards they want the lower weight.

 

 

oldTanker,

 

This is what I thought.  When looking this past year for one, I would have thought JD, Case, NH, MF, etc or others would have continued to offer an affordable AG crawler.  Not just for the commercial or construction guys.  Then my thinking was that maybe there were plenty of used machines in the 50+ hp market of used construction equipment that those listed above couldn't compete in the JD world market. 

 

I've been by plenty of AG dealers like NH and never seen these until yesterday on the HWY. 

No the market was limited due to problems of moving them if farm fields where spread out. So for a lot of farmers crawlers were not an option once rubber tired row crop tractors were out there. Some, old crawlers, Cats, JD, MF and of course IH had optional PTO's and some even had 3 points. Just were never a strong seller. That killed em off more than anything. I looked at a crawler loader, IH T340 before I bought my Cat D4. The guy wanted way too much considering the condition. Pins, and bushing were shot, rails were too. Sprockets were bad. The reason I was interested was that it had the optional PTO and 3 point hitch. The guy was asking 6500 and was only willing to come down 500. I checked on pricing....to do anything with the tracks a guy was going to have to dump another 6 or 7 K if not more into it.

But the market just isn't there. Farms are too spread out today for steel tracks to be practical for most operations.

 

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice looking HD 5. I have a similar one with new undercarriage that a mentor/landlord got to play with. His son and son  BIL attack a large oak stump. My dad saw him ramming it in a higher gear. Shortly the dad payed $3500 for a final drive repair.

I have another one uncle bought new and had rebuilt,and retired several years latter.Been here since 70 and treated me very well.

 

All kind of city folks trying there hand a farming with the grape business taking over here.The one with 3pt problems every year is getting the reputation of breaking a anvil with a rubber hammer.   But I know other have had trouble as well just not as often. Another old timer  running one and at 5000+ hours is seeing a rear end overhaul in the near future. Dealer mechanic told him he had done better than most. So I will guess they are not as robust as the old US made iron,but they do have things the old ones don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here #1 crawler berry/vineyard tractor is Yanmar T80.  Tough as nails i guess and near float in the wet peat blueberry fields.  Dont tear up the grass much on ends even.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would there be any advantage if the companies installed rubber tracks instead of steel or is there a reason why it wouldn’t”t work? It seems it would give a smoother ride for such a handy looking machine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday when I looked at their website,they have a rubber track option.

 

Mike 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dieselox4 said:

Yesterday when I looked at their website,they have a rubber track option.

 

Mike 

The one they had parked at world ag expo had rubbber tracks.   I was intrigued and snapped a few pictures, let me look for them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Dave Downs said:

It might be a good little crawler but that hood is ugly!!!

X2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now