Sign in to follow this  
Futuredairy

Favorite Truck Ever?

What was some of your guys' favorite trucks growing up, either by performance, reliability, or just plain good looks?

I like the looks of a GMC General and the Ford L/LTL-9000's, but I've never driven them.

I also happen to like Peterbilt 379's for the sake of drivability and comfort

1979 chevy, my dad bought brand new. Nothing fancy about it, but my favorite because it was the first  vehicle I learned to drive in (at 13-14 yrs old)!

For looks a B model Mack.  Always thought that the IH Paystar 5000 was a brute looking ole truck.

Any KW/Pete long hood with a tuned up Cat 1693 TA .

Probably a long nose Mack superliner. I’m a bit biased. The Mack plant is only 45 minuets away and I’ve got several relatives who work there

pete 379 ex-hood

Any of the different 9000 series Fords were durable and comfortable for the driver.  Company named Willet had hundreds of them circulating Chicago every day delivering and picking up piggyback freight.  You would see more Willet trucks than UPS trucks in any of the piggyback rail yards. If the Fords didn't hold up they would have had something that would have.

Ford had a print ad in trucker magazines back then, guy about seven+ feet tall standing next to his new Aero-Max Ford, looked like a normal sized man standing next to an S-10 Chevy. He said it was the Only truck he could get comfortable in.  Company I drove for had a short nose L9000,  had well over a million miles, really tired Shiny 290 and a 10 speed Road-Ranger. I forget what was wrong with my RoadBoss but I ran the Ford to Des Moines from Davenport, took a short load of tires back to Firestone, maybe 10,000-12,000# of tires and could only get 50-55 mph out of the old girl. Not sure what was up with the returns, the three years I was in charge of tires I never returned a single tire to anywhere.  But other than being slow the old Ford was a comfortable truck to drive.

It's sad that Ford sold off their big truck business. With a little pruning of the option list they should have been able to make money on heavy trucks. Every truck maker has stopped offering 3-4 engine brands, and 3-4 styles of transmissions, and 2-3 brands of drive axles in todays marketplace. Ford should have been the first to reduce options.  They had a real good reputation in vocational trucks.

This is the first semi I got to ride in , 1957 Ford Big Job 800, twin screw, 15 speed and a powerful V8 330 cu in motor !!! Our dad worked for a contractor in our home town and he started driving this in 1959 with only a couple thousand miles on it . Dad got the truck back in 1998 and I restored it for him , after our dad passed away in 2011 I contacted the I 80 Truck Stop near the Quad Cities and it is sitting in the museum there 😊

image.jpeg

Here are a couple more picture of our semi 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The old MACKS', REOS', DIAMOND Ts. As a kid I always watched for them on road rebuilding in our area.

That's the nicest Ford I've ever seen!

This is my other favorite truck I had , Mack B 42, just sold it a couple years ago . I didn't have any use for it anymore and it was taking up shed space so I sold it to a local guy and he has been using it 😊 

I had to repower it after the old gas burner expired , the 5.9 Cummins fit in there like it had been in there from day one 😎 Super 10 tranny , air brakes , air shutters , very cool old truck !!

Danny 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This was a cool truck but that was it , I tried to use it for my dirt business hauling my D 5 G Cat , the automatic and 4x4 was great the motor was a turd 466E 😩 It left here about 7 years ago and I got a real truck !!

Danny

image.jpeg

Autocar constructor, put miles on a General, nice truck, I liked it better than the KW we had.

This is my current truck , Petey , 1998 California truck I got in 2010 from West Sacromento Ca series 60 Detroit , super 10 . It still don't get driven in the winter 😊

Danny 

image.jpeg

Nice trucks Danny! Love the old Ford.

Big trucks..........Marmon

Pickup trucks..........67-72 Chevy or GMC

was that Kelly's Sales & Service painted by Mike Meyer?  He is a awesome sign painter from up in Mezeppa.

Danny, My SON and his wife only live a few miles from your old Ford.  That's a nice looking truck. You've posted pics of it here before.  First truck I ever drove was it's little Sister, '57 F-750.  Think it had the 312 Y-block, 5+2, had a 16 ft Krause spreader box on it for sanding & chippping oiled dirt roads.  Boss sent me to the next township west of ours into the hills. The exhaust crossover pipe scorched the upper radiator hose and it sprayed the distributor and plug wires down if I ran more than 4-5 miles really hard. It was rated 32,000# but a typical load was 35,000+#.  Spent most of the day in reverse.  The following year the township had a brand new '74 C-65 under the dump box and the '67 C-65 was under the spreader box. I did ALL the sanding and chipping that year. Did all the patching out of the dump truck too. 

The MACK dump truck is nice too. 5.9 and 10-speed is a good combination for that truck.   Your CTX was nice, but I'm not a big fan of yellow.  I'm surprised the DT466E didn't do better for you. I'd blame the AT.  Put a 6 or 7 speed manual in it and it would have been a completely different truck.   I'd take mine as a 2-door in 2150 red with lots of chrome & polished metal trim.

I like the 4300 International from 1980.  That was the first redesign that  IH did in many years.  My brother [made his living as a diesel mechanic] owned a 79 4200 Commercial dump truck model, he also always said good things about it. It had a Cummins 250 in it, all the engine he could afford at the time.  That Cummins never had a serious issue over many years of use. 

As a personal vehicle our little 93 NISSAN D21 was fault prof, my teenage son learned how to drive in that one.  It is the only vehicle I have ever owned with an automatic transmission that did no have at least 1 failure while we owned the vehicle. Was also the easiest to sell,  new owner never saw it in daylight, he came after work at 10 PM with cash in hand and drove it home. At that time it had 240,000 miles on it.

My favorite all time vehicle was a new 69 International Travelal, 1100D 4X4,  owned until 1989. Did not get used much in the later years but was always ready!

Here are some 🦅 eagle truck brochures. When I have more time I will get the s series pics and a 4300 brochure pic pretty classy in that eagle cabover plush interior. Guy dad rented his old house on a farmstead had a new eagle4200 or 3 in about 80 81. I remember it had a double stick trans but that is it other than it had eagle signs

IMG_2040.JPG

IMG_2041.JPG

IMG_2042.JPG

IMG_2043.JPG

IMG_2044.JPG

IMG_2045.JPG

IMG_2046.JPG

I love red tractors, but those Transtars I could do without..................I just got done moving a wet line tank on a 4300, the couple of times I moved it I could't help but laugh remembering what our snap bean scout told me years back.................International - 13 letter word for Sh*t spreader.  

A 2007 Freightliner I drove had a Mercedes engine rated at 500hp and a 13 speed. l don't doubt it cause l could run with the big boys on l-20 at the 80mph speed limit loaded with a 185 Bbl of crude oil.  Then about 6 months before l retired they gave me a 2011 Freightliner Coronado with a Detroit 550 hp. It was ok but l liked the older truck better. Had a lot more leg room in the Classic than in the Coronado.

TOM1.jpg

coronado95.jpg