Sign in to follow this  
Futuredairy

Favorite Truck Ever?

Plenty of experience in LT Fords Dr E, they were short on leg room, cab corners were rotting out within 5 years and the heater worked great in summer but moved a lot of grain with them. Jerry 

A1DDD73A-BFEA-4CE2-A7F2-2B6081F164BE.jpeg

474CD1ED-402C-4829-9377-8F4191CF5E31.jpeg

BC3BDC7F-4D90-4F00-A061-617DB46264EB.jpeg

We got rid of a 359 Pete 3406 c and bought this 97 ford with a 375 cummins 500,000 miles. Hated the peterbilt love this ford. More room more visibility and a few more payments it is ours. The ihc are my favorite though

IMG_2047.JPG

IMG_2048.JPG

IMG_1574.JPG

IMG_2017.JPG

1986 F5070, PT270, 8LL. This is the truck I drive when I help chop hay and corn. Its like the energize bunny, it just keeps going and going and going...

20170608_151113.jpg

Just now, Bdse25 said:

Probably a long nose Mack superliner. I’m a bit biased. The Mack plant is only 45 minuets away and I’ve got several relatives who work there

I am awful fond of the SuperLiners also.  I grew up with a few on our farm, and NOTHING compares to the torque (or sound) of an E-9 under load!!

Had to look up E-9 Mack. None of those running around here that I've seen. Looks like you can still get an Aussie Super-Liner, but with those dual snorkels it looks like an alpaca. 

15 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

I am awful fond of the SuperLiners also.  I grew up with a few on our farm, and NOTHING compares to the torque (or sound) of an E-9 under load!!

Like said I’m a bit biased but everyone around here just loves there Mack’s. Especially the r models. Everyone says the just run and run and run they’re definitely the most common trucks around here. Back in the day fords were a close 2 nd. Today freightshakers are probably 2nd to Mack’s 

1 minute ago, Bdse25 said:

Like said I’m a bit biased but everyone around here just loves there Mack’s. Especially the r models. Everyone says the just run and run and run they’re definitely the most common trucks around here. Back in the day fords were a close 2 nd. Today freightshakers are probably 2nd to Mack’s 

Macks were great when they were still Macks.......now they are glorified volvos no thank you.  

The only late model macks I ever see in this area are the medium duty CO garbage pick-up trucks.  They haul the home garbage to a transfer area dump-it and then they reload it onto large trash haulers that move it 30 miles to the multi-county land fill. Most of the full size trucks are Freightliners, for the same reason our truck is a Freightliner, nothing fancy just grunt, less expensive to purchase and to operate long term.

Cracker box Jimmy is my all time favorite. Drove one back in the ice-age , thanks; sonny

1c7ac494a033916092fed4233b2a367c.jpg

1 hour ago, SONNY said:

Cracker box Jimmy is my all time favorite. Drove one back in the ice-age , thanks; sonny

ahh yes drove with 671s and 8v71s we called them rivet poppers. good day

1st picture is a neighbors Sundance truck I would like to paint our yellow 1850 like it but switch yellow to red. A picture of our 3 tandems together and we even had a paystar in the yard plus the petey that left for the ford.

IMG_0643.JPG

IMG_0163.JPG

IMG_0854.JPG

IMG_0457.JPG

IMG_2049.JPG

Had an 84 GMC S-15 for about a year and a half- good truck, but worn out.  Then came a Chevrolet S10 SS that I had for 15 years, it worked and I enjoyed owning it.  Current truck is a '12 Silverado Crew Cab.  So far it's the best truck I've owned, and don't miss a mini truck at all. 

I'll try a pic of my '05 Pete 357 with ISM Cummins and 10 speed with a 20' Scott bed and hoist.

Fall 2011 054.JPG

3 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

Macks were great when they were still Macks.......now they are glorified volvos no thank you.  

Kind of like ih. Why does all the good stuff get bought up and all you get to keep is a name. 

For me it's the early 1980's 4300 Transtar Eagle. Guy hauled grain with one when I was a kid. Two tone brown. Always enjoyed watching him come and go. He pulled a corrugated sided Chamberlin hopper bottom. His looked similar to this one. Had a sleeper and a single stack.

IMG_0893.JPG.jpeg

13 hours ago, SONNY said:

THATS quite the wrecker!   Guy on the ATHS website posted copies of the GMC 8000 series Crackerbox brochure showing the fabricated aluminum frame, independant air ride front suspension and air-ride rear suspension.  Also showed the forward mount and rear mounted cab positions. That wrecker is rear mount. Forward mount has cab steps ahead of front tire wheel well. 

A 210 hp 6-71 that was standard would sure make a lot of noise fully loaded, and probably about 40-50 mph. I never got to ride in a Crackerbox but rode shotgun a LOT in early '60's gas V-6 powered L-series tilt cab GMC's. The guy Dad drove for had a Chevy C-70, about a  '64 or '65 that looked exactly like a GMC B-series short nose conventional, only the model emblems and Bowties were different than a GMC, even had a ToroFlow diesel, the NA big V-6, 478 cid.  Was a LOT nicer local truck than the tired old CO-190's he had, or the Emeryvilles.

To put that 210 hp 6-71 in perspective, the '74 Diamond Reo readymix truck I drove had a 208 hp 555-Cummins V-8 in it, Allison 5-speed and 3-speed Brownie.  It was licensed for 50,000 but typical load was 52,000#.  It was s-l-o-w.  But better than the '66 White that grossed about 51,000# with a 165 hp Cummins 6 and 5+4 trans.  Now days my 210 hp pickup is underpowered. '96 F-250 7.3L PSD. 

2 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Now days my 210 hp pickup is underpowered. '96 F-250 7.3L PSD. 

Ain't that the truth.  Numbers that would have been bragging rights for over the road rigs are now inferior for a pickup that never hauls anything but groceries 

........IH   and  Mack.......why would you need  anything more ???!!

Mike

post-157-1202462614.jpg

post-157-1202931059.jpg

18 hours ago, red tractor fever said:

For me it's the early 1980's 4300 Transtar Eagle. Guy hauled grain with one when I was a kid. Two tone brown. Always enjoyed watching him come and go. He pulled a corrugated sided Chamberlin hopper bottom. His looked similar to this one. Had a sleeper and a single stack.

IMG_0893.JPG.jpeg

Here is the sales brochure for one of those bad beasts

image.jpg

Anything Paccar.( on my second Pete ) , But a year ago I hired a local company truck a load to the USA/ The dude rolls up in this old 1989 KW cabover 425 Cat, old school and no speed limiter (that plagues us up here)  I had saw it before but being up close to a cabover after many years I wanted one ( I am over that now) The driver was a fanatic (althought the truck was dirty on that Nov day), 

I have a great driving job but if I were to buy a truck I would go old school Paccar

Some guys might like the load more than the truck . the pics are him leaving my driveway

kwcaB.jpg

KWCABSW4.jpg

I got this one in May, really like the truck so far, just wish it had a little more Hp.

KIMG0254.JPG

KIMG0093.JPG

Red 59 dodge fleetside 318 v8 push button automatic. was parked beside barn when barn burned down when I was in college.

End of a nice truck, lots of giddy-up go.

5 hours ago, hillman said:

Anything Paccar.( on my second Pete ) , But a year ago I hired a local company truck a load to the USA/ The dude rolls up in this old 1989 KW cabover 425 Cat, old school and no speed limiter (that plagues us up here)  I had saw it before but being up close to a cabover after many years I wanted one ( I am over that now) The driver was a fanatic (althought the truck was dirty on that Nov day), 

I have a great driving job but if I were to buy a truck I would go old school Paccar

Some guys might like the load more than the truck . the pics are him leaving my driveway

kwcaB.jpg

KWCABSW4.jpg

hello are them all w4s heading to u s just curious good day

Never drove one but I always liked the looks of the R Model and Fleetstar 2000s. When I was a kid in the 60's the Weyerhauser company Kenworths were the only west coast trucks we ever saw. Mostly IH, GMC, Ford, and Whites.