Rich

1086 will not start

Recommended Posts

 

New to Red Power and New to my IH 1086 SN 54,xxx.  Of course my first problem was to get the transmission stuck in high and park.  knowing nothing paid 500.00 to get it unlocked.  that lasted 3 days.  so have to learn it for myself.  since I didn't know where anything was and could not make out anything with my flashlight or the (service manual NO help) Have Chassis Only Service manual, parts manual and operator's manual.  I have taken  the seat out, the seat support and the platform sub panel out.  now have a clear view.  what a dirty mess.  Linkage really stiff, clean all the linkage oiled all the connectors, took pictures so I will not have to remember all of this.  Now I can work through all the gears with ease.  One catch it will Not start.  Yes it is in park, yes I have raised the governor control,  full of gas,  batteries fully charted,  turn the key on and NOTHING.  have plenty of other questions but will start here and take them one at a time
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I

Some 86 series tractors have a safety switch in the park "gear", which I believe would be around the linkage you were just working on. Double check to see if there is a simple push button switch in the park slot that the shifter lever would hit when the lever is in park. If there is, make sure it's wires are connected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope you dont mean a 1086 full of GAS!!!!! LOL!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On an 86 series I only ever saw a clutch safety switch on the firewall directly in front of the clutch pedal, you wouldn't have touched that working where you were. probably starter or starter wires I would use a pick light to find the problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

safety switch behind the clutch pedal. later models also have one for the park lever. i think as long as you have the clutch switch working you should be fine as long as you push in the pedal when starting. quite common for them to go bad and they are pretty cheap and easy to replace

also hope you meant diesel and not gas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really kosher but make sure tractor is in park. Turn the key on and use a screwdriver on the solenoid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, hanniedog said:

Not really kosher but make sure tractor is in park. Turn the key on and use a screwdriver on the solenoid. 

I have done that, but if I were to do that in this case I would have buddy in seat with foot on clutch. If tractor was previously  in 2 gears at once just cause lever is in park don't mean inards are in this case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 1480x3 said:

I have done that, but if I were to do that in this case I would have buddy in seat with foot on clutch. If tractor was previously  in 2 gears at once just cause lever is in park don't mean inards are in this case.

Agree, and the starter is a real PITA to access on a cabbed 86.  but then you narrow it down to a switch or wire issue.  Be VERY careful, instead of starting it I'd pull throttle down to shut off position, if it's rolls over with the starter crossed then at least it won't take off and drive over you or through your shop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it worked fine before you simply bumped the wiring on the park switch. Check that out first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the later 86"s had 2 safety switches, one for the clutch peddle it mounted on the fire wall on the clutch side up past the bottom of the hood, the second one is for starting in park so you don't have to depress the clutch, its mounted on the right side under the cab about in the area of where the front right corner of the seat is, it is mounted on a angle iron brace, if one has failed and you bumped or unplugged the other, it will not start. you can see the park safety switch if you get between the right rear wheel and tractor behind the battery box, have someone shift it in and out of park and watch what moves, you can reach it to plug back up but its a bear to try to change with the seat support in place, you can try to fix the one under the hood, its a lot easer to get to, you can test the wiring by unplugging the safety switch in question, and make a jumper wire to connect to two wires that plugged on the switch, place tractor in park and hold the clutch down, with the throttle in the stop position (all the way down) hit the key, if it spins over the wiring is ok and the switch is bad. or way out of adjustment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

X2 ^^^^. Check that out first and get back to us. 

Remember on these old girls to shift them nice and easy with full movements. That sounds weird, but slap shifting a 86 series will get even a decent adjusted one hung between park/ forward or reverse. Remember if you break that park paw off, let's just say it isn't a fun experience to say the least. You would be a WHOLE lot more familiar with your rear end/transmission to fix it. So get used to shifting it nice and easy. If I'm in a sloppy one I make sure I'm in neutral before I go into park and then I let the clutch out slow and listen for the engine to slow down like it's taking off. Now that you have an idea how the shift linkages work it's easier to understand how you should be shifting it and what to expect. Oh and welcome to the forum. Ask all the questions you wish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2018 at 4:50 PM, SONNY said:

Hope you dont mean a 1086 full of GAS!!!!! LOL!!!!

guess my past city is showing.  the wife uses gas I use Diesel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's ok Rich!!! LOL!!! I knew what you meant!!!! Thanks; sonny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2018 at 3:24 PM, Rich said:

 

New to Red Power and New to my IH 1086 SN 54,xxx.  Of course my first problem was to get the transmission stuck in high and park.  knowing nothing paid 500.00 to get it unlocked.  that lasted 3 days.  so have to learn it for myself.  since I didn't know where anything was and could not make out anything with my flashlight or the (service manual NO help) Have Chassis Only Service manual, parts manual and operator's manual.  I have taken  the seat out, the seat support and the platform sub panel out.  now have a clear view.  what a dirty mess.  Linkage really stiff, clean all the linkage oiled all the connectors, took pictures so I will not have to remember all of this.  Now I can work through all the gears with ease.  One catch it will Not start.  Yes it is in park, yes I have raised the governor control,  full of gas,  batteries fully charted,  turn the key on and NOTHING.  have plenty of other questions but will start here and take them one at a time
 

Did you get anywhere with it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rich said:

guess my past city is showing.  the wife uses gas I use Diesel

we all do it, that's why i just say fuel now. have a friend with a diesel truck and he always says he needs to go get gas. love giving him a hard time about it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2018 at 5:31 PM, Missouri Mule said:

Did you get anywhere with it? 

Yep.  Was the Park switch.  or as listed in the parts manuel on the dash page as "Neutral" switch.  took hour to get it off week to order the part and 10 minutes to put a new one on.  works great now.  Just have to get it put back to gather.  now don't know if I can lift that seat back in place.  Tried a Red Neck fix for high low sticking.  used a hose clamp with a rope running to the rear left and right front (out of the way of all other gears).  pull on it and will change gear.  Hoping that will get it unstuck without all the hassle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now