pirlbeck

7250 lazy clutch return

We have a 7250 in the shop that the customer complains about the clutch pedal not fully returning. He says he has replaced the clutch cable at least 2 times in the last couple of years trying to fix this problem. We have removed the clutch pedal and pivot and cleaned and lubed the pivot and adjusted the cable and pedal stop using a pressure gauge on the master clutch test port. It seems to work OK until you shift above 6th gear. When the master clutch pressure increases to full pressure it will not fully return. It does not take much force to pull it up. It has the cast iron pedal and the black clutch return spring. I know you are not suppose to put the stronger, silver spring on with the cast iron pedal but I have never heard an explanation of why not to use the stronger spring. Anyone know why or ever use the stronger spring with the cast iron pedal? Or do we have something else at play here causing it to not return?

Thanks!

I don't have any knowledge but I have never used the clutch pedal after initially moving. Don't even need it for starting to move forward at all either. Ours are higher hour Magnums and we have become accustomed to pulling up on the pedal as a safegaurd after having trouble with the bushings sticking on a tractor or two

My 7130 did that this spring the bottom accumulator was low on nitrogen hope that helps .

Case had some trouble with bad cables out of the box.   Makes sure the cable is free by hand  both ends unhooked. 

My now ex 1994 7220 developed that problem. Installed a new control cable on it and that fixed it. 

Pat, in sifting through some of CNH's technical support on this matter, it turns out you're not the only one this has happened to. In some certain situations, they have actually suggested using a "helper" spring in conjunction with the regular clutch cable/pedal return spring to give more help to get the pedal to raise all the way up. The problem is that the Master Clutch pressure is working against the inching/clutch spool, trying to push it up(which, in turn, is trying to hold the clutch pedal down). The part #s they suggest trying are 1954682C1 or 19940DA. Something to consider.

OK, thanks for all of the replies and help.

Customer says he has put 3 new cables on this thing trying to get it to return. We had already checked/charged the accumulators and while they were a little low, that made no difference.

I ordered the 1992620C1 and received it yesterday afternoon and we are going to put it on this morning and see if it fixes the problem. By the way this 1990620C1 spring is painted black, so the color is no longer an indicator of what spring you have. If this does not fix it we will look into adding the springs as suggested by SDman.

The new, heavier spring seems to of fixed the problem. I still wonder why Case-IH don't  want it used on the cast iron clutch pedal.

Thanks again!

Pat