Sign in to follow this  
Patrik

Quick question

How much work would it be to change the o-rings/seals in the lift cylinder?

We suspect it's leaking because the hitch only goes half way and won't pick up if you load it.

Leaking cylinder should still go all the way up.  Draft lever in the heavy position?   

7 minutes ago, lance358436 said:

Leaking cylinder should still go all the way up.  Draft lever in the heavy position?   

X2, I had one once where the draft lever would move back and forth fine, but the linkage going into the hitch cover was froze up.  When the lever was moved all it did was bend the linkage back and forth

The draft lever is held in heavy by a steel wire to keep it in place, but it moves back and forth fine.

I'll check if the linkage is ceased

The draft linkage moves to light but gets stuck halfway to heavy, the rest of way it just bends the arm.

8 hours ago, Patrik said:

The draft linkage moves to light but gets stuck halfway to heavy, the rest of way it just bends the arm.

Same thing I had, it took a lot of penetrating oil, and working back and forth with a pliers.  Otherwise it'll have to come apart

Update:

The linkage on the outside moves freely. But i still have the same issue, i removed the fuel tank and opened the cover to seperated the linkage and it moved fine. It seems to be in the bowles of the rearend. Now the liftarm position lever comes forward when you force it into heavy. 

I need more help

Edit: The draft control is now in heavy, the problem persists. 10 years ago this tractor was completely torn apart and that is when this problem started. Is the bellcrank on the rockshaft in the wrong place, would that be possible?

I really hope noone comes around and tells me that the bellcrank and rockshaft arms can only be assembled in one way, because i just thought that if it is you just take the arms off and twist the rock shaft until it's bottemd out.

Just a side note, do not shove the draft lever past heavy. You want to leave it a little ways from the end , not real sure why it does this but you won't have much if any hydraulics with the draft lever hitting the down stop

I've removed the toplink mount and there is no leak from the lift cylinder (started the tractor), the draft linkage moves and does what it's suppose to. Is there a valve of some sort that could be causing my problem? Pilot relife valve, safety valve etc?

I am not sure but can the arms be on the wrong spline? I would raise it completely, take an arm off at a time and index it higher. I am kinda thinking they have a punch mark to show where to install

I was on about that previusly, but i looked inside and the piston has about 1 dm left of travel so i don't think they are. Besides the arms would not be "fully down" if they where on the wrong spline.

First off, what tractor are we talking about here.  Sounds like large frame tractor like 706   on up to 1586.   Couple of things here.        If hitch cylinder leaks the hitch will settle back down when engine is shut off.  It would have to leak very bad to not lift a load.   Next thing.  The draft control lever does not affect the lifting ability of the hitch.  If draft control lever does not go to full forward, heavy position, there is a linkage problem.  Probably adjustment but could be linkage installed wrong at some point.  If it is correct or even close to correct, the draft control lever should raise the hitch when pulled to rear before it reaches end of upper slot. It will go as far as draft control internal linkage allows which is not as far as position control lever will raise  hitch.  It will go all or none.  You cannot just lift it part way with draft control lever and you cannot just lower hitch a little amount. It is all up or all down.

Next thing , the position control lever is the one that will affect the lift capability of hitch and all other aux valves. This is because that last portion in quadrant is a action control.  When you go past that off set in quadrant, internal linkage contacts the action control valve. When this happens, it reduces the flow both on raise and lowering of hitch.  In other words, it restricts the drop rate so hitch lower slower, and also dumps the incoming oil so it affects lift speed and lift ability along with affecting aux valves. 

Normal position of draft control lever is always full forward in heavy position.  Only when using a below ground implement like a moldboard plow do you use draft control lever to automatically control the draft load on the tractor.  Very few ever use it as it is just a pain and misunderstood  part of all these tractors.   It does work well in uneven ground where keeping a plow at even depth is a problem.   On flat ground, it leaves uneven furrow depth if ground density varies.

It sounds to me the first thing that needs to be done with this tractor is properly adjust all linkages and then trouble shoot problems.  There are measurements for all aspects of the hitch operating linkages including full lift of hitch.  

38 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

I think he is working on a 3588.

OK, my bad.  I over looked the indication of model in original post.      All of my comments still apply except for the action control which is somewhat different on a pfc hydraulic system.  There is a separate control for lift speed of hitch . 

It will be truly amazing if it's ONLY in need of adjustment. The draft needed a bit of adjustment because it was pressed up hard agianst the lever on the draft shaft which made it hard to move into heavy and to stay in heavy.One thing that may not matter, when you move the position lever all the way down and into the narrow part it stops lowering. My father assures me that nothing was assembled incorrectly. This tractor will never see a plow agian and our cultivator is on the hitch hook so the pain of using draft control is easily avoided.

I will get back with an update tomorrow or on friday.

Edited by Patrik

15 years ago the rear end + gearbox was reabuilt, and this problem with the hitch arose. Now 5 minutes was all it took with a 13mm wrench to adjust the linkage and it is fixed! 

I thank you all for your time (wasted😉) but pete23 thank you very much!

Under the cab where there is this sliding grove on the lever were the pressed shearmetal shaft bolts on, moved it from the middle all the way to the right towards the front.