Sign in to follow this  
Gleaner k2

Shop with a living quarters

Does anyone live in thier shop? The wife wants our own place to live! Were still renting only cause its really cheap and land lord fixes anything! We havent found the right place to buy at the right price! So i got the great idea how about a shop with a living quarters! Pros cons to this idea Since its just the two of us doesnt half to be big and maybe i can get the idea of a her dream mini home outta her head!  and down the road we can put in a new house beside the shop building then when i can thrown outta her place i gotta place ti go! Trying to kill about 4 birds with one stone! Haha 

People do that but it depends what you do in your shop.I know if your wife is like mine any smell to do with diesel or any type of oil drives her bonkers,. Those smells all seem to follow to the warm areas.  Good luck though.

I have not met a guy who didn't like the idea, or a wife who did.  If it's a means to an end I think it works great for the short term, otherwise a small house/cabin close to the shop seems to keep momma happier.  

It would hope to be short term! Not forever! 

It will be a special woman who will tolerate going to bed with the smell of diesel and 90 wt in the air.

In early Europe and still in the out-back middle east, the milk cow is in the basement and the family lives above.

I guess you could get accustomed to the arrangement.

Come to think of it, is that arrangement really different from an attached garage at my home?

1 minute ago, oleman said:

It will be a special woman who will tolerate going to bed with the smell of diesel and 90 wt in the air.

In early Europe and still in the out-back middle east, the milk cow is in the basement and the family lives above.

I guess you could get accustomed to the arrangement.

Come to think of it, is that arrangement really different from an attached garage at my home?

More than a few stories of chickens living in a room in house around here in the 20s and 30s. 

I did at the ranch I worked at never noticed smells....noise was annoying...id build it in a lean too with a double wall to separate... Closed cell foam insulation with a air lock/room to prevent smell penetration.

But then it might as well be separate....

Then the issue becomes when do you quit working for the day when it’s on the other side of the wall....

When I had my Morton Building built, I looked at some of the combination shop/home buildings, and thought about doing that, but then I read about the difficulty of insuring one that was built that way.

I also learned that IF you can keep the living quarters secret from the tax appraisers, it is only taxed as a workshop.

However, in retrospect, I wonder if I would have had as much trouble selling that, than the difficulty in selling a 2-bedroom custom built home.

Don't forget zoning restrictions and building codes. After far too many carbon monoxide tragedies, some areas have made it illegal, or at least very difficult, to build a "shouse". 

I agree with everyone who voted 'nay'. I know of only one situation that was a combination, the house portion was built in the loft area of the shop.  It sits empty.

Unless you are planning on something as small as an apartment that you could eventually use as an office or 'cleanroom', I think you will find that the additional cost of a house and shop vs a combination will be minimal. Plus no insurance issues, zoning issues, resale etc. that have been mentioned already. A win win for everyone. Not sure if you are familiar with home construction, but think of all the additional requirements needed to keep everything separate. HVAC becomes a major issue when trying to keep the smells in the shop and not in the house because now you have to make sure and completely isolate air transfer between the two areas. It may be as simple as a vapor barrier or as complex as a dead air cavity between the two. (which would still need something to isolate the air). naturally you will want a pass through between the two area, and I promise you a simple door no matter how good it is won't be enough. This is just two things to consider, there are more. You would probably want or be required at least to have two electric services. Yes, you could get by with one, but two is the right way. The more I type, the more things I think of.  You get the idea.

Growing up as a kid, dad had his shop in the basement until he built his shop. Many nights I did my schoolwork with the aroma of welding fumes. And my room was on the second floor. As a gift from mom, one year dad got a fan to sit in the basement door to the outside. Does that tell you anything?

Locally there are several.  For years there was a deal with county.  Shop ok, home huge pain.  Tons of guys build shop/pole build.  Get inspection and then frame in home.  Buddy made his so nice they are on 15 years in it.  Skipping house.  After few years you go get house permit easuer since the address is a residence.  Silly but made workable for alot of families to move out of town.  Most have 40x60 (no fire supressuon needed) with 2 12 bays and rest home with upstairs 

Always liked the idea when were getting ready to building both at the same time, until I really thought it through. If you have a fire you lose everything was the biggest drawback for me. Insurance is a big issue as well as building codes, needed fire separation required is big expense. Then I said to myself, why do I want to breathe diesel fumes because I don't care how tight you build it you are going to get them and the related cancers caused from breathing these carcinogens. At least you are not in it 24 hours a day when you have a separate home. That added exposure over many years and you might as well put a cancer doctor on retainer now.

Just the added mental state of being able to separate yourself from your work and give yourself a mental break I would think would be an issue. It would for me. I need a place I can get away from things once in awhile. Just think about this, you are working on a project or piece of equipment and things are not going well and you get frustrated and need to walk away, where do you go? Upstairs?  For me I need to get away from it and rethink things and go back at it the next day and its nice to just get away from it clear my head.

My wife loves tractors and equipment as much as me, however after a few years of 24/7, I think it might wear thin. And if momma aint happy, then nobodys happy.  Just my thoughts

I know of a shop with a living area in the upstairs absolutely beautiful, idea was maybe a apartment for one of the kids?  Insurance said no way, could have been due to the way it was constructed.  It now sits vacant used for a break area or lounge.

Tax Man around here is big on this. I have heard many stories of our Amish Friends building a "Shed". Permits and all. Soon  a window appears and as soon as  Curtins are added the Tax Man cometh. Re permit/ inspect for code violations or Vacate. 

But I like the Idea and see many of the shops on Successful Farming show having  pretty nice temporary living quarters attached to the offices. 

I know of 4 within 5 miles of my house. A couple more even further. Several more that were built "on the cheap" to live in for a couple years until the house was built and now it's a spare guest house/ party room/ kids sleepover. Really works great. The two I'm most familiar with the shop is built way higher than living quarters. Neither complain about the smell of diesel. Both are very nice. 1 WAS a bachelor, now married still in garage. Another is still a bachelor. I think if done right it would be fine. You just have to figure out if it's forever or temporary. All the ones I know are on their home place. One thing that hasn't been mentioned that I ran into years back when I looked into this, the banks didn't loan any money on such. They claimed incase of default on payment the market for this type of structure is limited vs. a house. Things have changed over the last 10 years. But before you have big dreams check with your banker. I think mine wanted 50% down at that time. I was only lacking 49% being 22 yrs old. Lol

I think there great but make sure you put over the top firewall in!!   There has been two that burn in my area, one lost everything other had all lot of smoke damage both fire started in shop one was semi wiring started fire other was electrical 

Why not look at  nice Mobile Home ?  You can hopefully sell it when you decide to build a house.

2001 bought ranch house with 2 car attached on acre+. 

2002 built 30 x40 shop attached to garage , 6" walls and blowin in ceiling better insulation than in house.

Walk thru 40" door -- garage into shop. 18' shop door ,220V , 2 ceiling fans  and LP gas Hot Dawg Modine. Could add Murphy bed for sleep if needed. 

Wanted bigger,  but code restricted size. Is full , but does function for business and pleasure.