Michael Halsall

International 384

Here is a general question for all those with a good knowledge of International utility tractors.

Question, was the 384 utility tractor sold in the USA?  Does anyone here own one?

I have just bought on Ebay a sales brochure from the US, dated 1/83. It advertises the 84 Series diesel tractors, 484 to Hydro 84, but no 384.

Australia got the 384, but only very briefly

Regards from Michael H.B) in Australia.

P.S. All the best for 2018!B)

I have seen numerous 384's for sale here on the east coast of Canada, so IH must have sent them to Canadian dealers. Kent

The 384 was sold both in the USA and Canada from 1978 to 1981. It was a popular little tractor in eastern Canada with landscapers, small dairy farmers and people owning a country estate. My cousin had one back in the 1980 to 2010 period at his country place in the Muskokas. The ones sold in Canada generally had 14.9-28 tires on them. The ones I have seen on Tractorhouse from US dealers all had 13.6-28 tires on them.  

I have a International 384, and my friend in California also has one. I really like the size and power of it. but mine was a beat to death POS money pit. Parts tractors don't seem to be come by easily. I still have it and use it.  But I could have bought a nice one for what I have in this one.

The 484-884 tractors were built in Doncaster England. But the 384 was the odd ball built in Bradford England. 

2 hours ago, Binderdan said:

I have a International 384, and my friend in California also has one. I really like the size and power of it. but mine was a beat to death POS money pit. Parts tractors don't seem to be come by easily. I still have it and use it.  But I could have bought a nice one for what I have in this one.

The 484-884 tractors were built in Doncaster England. But the 384 was the odd ball built in Bradford England. 

You are right. I believe the 384 was the last model built at Bradford. The 384 used the British built BD-154 diesel engine. The later 385 and the larger 84 Series  tractors used Neuss (German) sourced diesel engines.

Regards from Michael H.B)

The 384 was basically an updated version of the B250/275 series started in the early 60's. They had nothing in common with the world wide series starting with the 454 and 574 and the later 84 series. I believe the 384's tooling was shipped to India for a joint venture with IH and Mahindra.

30 minutes ago, Eason said:

The 384 was basically an updated version of the B250/275 series started in the early 60's. They had nothing in common with the world wide series starting with the 454 and 574 and the later 84 series. I believe the 384s tooling wade shipped to India for a joint venture with IH and Mahindra.

Sort of a "runt of the litter" compared to the other larger 84 series tractor. I believe the 384 was the last model to use the BD-154 engine which started with the B-414.

In Britain there was 374 which shared a similar relationship with the larger 74 series models.