Sign in to follow this  
Missouri Mule

Cold start. Who want some

So I have been down and out with flu the last couple days. It's been about 5 degrees here with some wind. Maybe 10 during the day. Go to start old red feed truck. "Gas burner" to no avail. 

Next 763 bobcat.... hit and run but not go. Glow plug 2-3 times same thing. Man it would run for 5 seconds and die. I gave up. 

Next was 7400 Deere. Phssss. Yah right. Not without being plugged in. 

So I walked down to the open machine shed where the 766 was parked. Pushed the either button for 1 second which probably hasn't been changed in 10 years. I didn't hear anything even spray. Hit the key and bam. Sob turned over and lit off like it was 50 outside. She made some funny noises from the pump and whining from being cold but it went. No problems. Let her idle for a few minutes and used that to push my truck in the shop to thaw out. Fed some hay at home and by then truck was ready. Guess it had a little water in the fuel line maybe??? Once it thawed out it ran perfect. 

So what in the world did ih do to the 766's with d360 anyhow. That thing starts better than any engine I've been around in the winter. Trucks or tractors. Gotta love that. None of my 400 series start that good. 1086 is runner up. Then 756, then 986. 

The 360 non turbo engine has slightly more compression than a turbo charged engine. May make it start a little better cold. 

It all depends on the condition of the engine. My 5288 doesn't start as well cold as my 5488. Both have the same amount of hours on them. I'm not sure if either one has been apart, but I did replace the rods and mains and  rod bolts and injectors in the 5288 at 6500 hours. I have only had the 5488 for a year so never messed with it yet. 

Its opposite here. Our 766 bs has to be plugged in at 0C (32f) otherwise it'll fire and run about 5 seconds then die. I'm sure it would go with ether, but I'd rather not unless it's out on field or away from power. Our 1486 on the other hand will start down to -15C (5f) without being plugged in or ether.

Have a 966 and 766 if they spin they start. The 9 is the better of the two though. NH160 skid loader,went to feed cows last week spun but no-go. Changed fuel  filter and took right off. Long overdue! Fuel man winter blends fuel but I'm still adding a little bit of anti-gel. Cheap insurance.  Always try to plug them in if I know I know I need them. Just takes at least twice as long to get anything done.

Luckily, we have a couple of the gas-start diesel Fords.  Never hear of 'em? Work great, no matter the temperature.  Here's the starting procedure, if you are interested.

1.  Pull choke out on Farmall C or M.

2.  Engage starter on Farmall C or M.

3.  Push in choke.

4.  Hook chain from running Farmall C or M to desired Ford diesel tractor.

5.  Pull Ford diesel tractor to top of hill.

I feel I should leave out the rest of the steps, as I don't want to put anyone in the operators manual business out of a job.

1 minute ago, TN Hillbilly said:

Luckily, we have a couple of the gas-start diesel Fords.  Never hear of 'em? Work great, no matter the temperature.  Here's the starting procedure, if you are interested.

3.  Push in choke.

I feel I should leave out the rest of the steps, as I don't want to put anyone in the operators manual business out of a job.

LOL :lol::lol:

Reminds me of an old guy who used to have a couple of "hill tractors". All summer you could see them parked on a downhill slope ready for when he needed to use them. Weak batteries? Low compression? My IH DT466 in the combine is the only one I've started in cold temps but barely below freezing. It needed a little shot on the ether button to fire up. 7130 Magnum started once at pretty cold temps in a place where I had no electricity to plug in the heater. If the starter turns it will start, and it did. Never had ether on this tractor. If its at home and I need it in the cold  weather it will have the coolant heater plugged in for a few hours before I even try it. 

5 hours ago, TN Hillbilly said:

3.  Push in choke.

Sounds like a John Deere Cold Start assist,  Farmall M and a log chain.

Our gas 706 tractors always start.  My 666 will usually start too.  The 856 and 1206 are very cold blooded. 756 will go down to 12 degrees.

My mom always talks about when they went to town in the late 40s. There was no road to their farm but an old trail for 2 miles. So they left their car at a neighbors 3 miles away. Take horses  and sleigh with enclosed cab to neighbors . Unhitch horses pull start car put horses in neighbors barn go to town. Come back and leave car take horses home. GrAndpa had a team of horses on his sale yet in 72.

My 1566 was the easiest starting tractor I have ever been around.  It would light right off at 20 degrees with no either.  Seemed like if it would spin over once, it was running.  Had to start it at 20 below one morning to feed cattle but I did have it plugged in overnight, no ether needed to start it then, either.  Dad's 1086 was a good starter but not quite as good as that 1566 was.