snowman656

656 pto slippage

I have a question on how to tell if your pto is slipping.  When I was using it this summer for haying I was running a pivot tongue, square baler, and bale wagon with it.  I noticed when I was cutting a alfalfa field that it didn't seem like it was running the pivot tongue like it should, I plugged up a few times with it and when I would clean it out and turn on the pto to finish cleaning the head out the pto would turn but sounded like it was ratcheting.  I also had a similar experience when running my square baler, I got into some very heavy hay and plugged up as well, the pto did the same thing, I never had any issues with the bale wagon due to not much load on the pto.  One of the reasons I'm wondering if the pto is slipping is later on in the summer I fixed my 4020 and used it on the pivot tongue and square baler to see if there was a difference, what I found and I know the 4020 is more hp than the 656 was I was cutting faster and didn't have any issues with the pto on the 4020.  So is the ratcheting that I was seeing and hearing on the 656 normal?  Or do I need to plan on rebuilding the pto on this tractor?

When was the last time you checked your pto pressure?  

Travis

Haven't checked it at all.  Just got the tractor going this spring and had to get haying done.  Where to you check the psi and what is the psi suppose to be?

When mine slipped on the brushing it just stopped did no ratcheting, I wonder if your input shaft stripped?

Ratcheting to me sounds like input shaft at the flywheel. The PTO unit itself has wet clutches, nothing to ratchet.

Ok thanks for the input, I at least have a direction to go towards now.

I've still got my bad unit of you need parts....

Pto clutches would not  ratchet, and they really only slip, about one time, then they just kinda stop, right?  That's my experience anyway.  But I think I probably had a little more load on them than what this 656 is seeing. 

I know a guy who had a 656 PTO come on while he was hooking up the PTO. Busted off a finger.

On 1/4/2018 at 8:53 AM, lightninboy said:

I know a guy who had a 656 PTO come on while he was hooking up the PTO. Busted off a finger.

Little harder to come in with the engine off....

Had one years ago that would make a groaning noise on engagement. Overhauled it and still made noise and seemed to slip a little. Finally got a gauge and found pressure was too low. Internals were fine, but the overcenter linkage was worn enough that it would lean in toward center of the tractor. It wouldn't pull spool valve up enough to get correct pressure. After replacing that we never had anymore trouble.