Sign in to follow this  
MTO

Explosion on New Years

The ball had just dropped on New Years Eve, wife was sound asleep upstairs, all 3 dogs were nestled in bed also.

I was sitting on the couch with my first and last shot of JD to celebrate 2018 all by myself.

It was 12:15 and I was reaching for my new Red Power magazine when the house trembled/shook with a LOUD explosion!

It woke my wife as I heard her yell WTH was that?!

Yorkie jumped up on my lap and coyote/husky started barking.

I looked out all 4 sides of the house expecting to see an exploded gasline or a house/building on fire.

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

There was only one blast. 

I kept looking/searching/listening for some sign as to WTH this was!

At 12:30, I called 911.

Female operator said she heard nothing and that I was only person to call about it. 911 center is 15 miles from me.

Then I called PSP. Female trooper said she had heard/felt it was too busy to investigate outside. PSP is about 1 mile from me.

I then began texting people/friends about it and surprisingly, they ALL heard/felt it also.

Since then, just about everyone I`ve asked about it, they all heard/felt it. 

Absolutely nothing about it in the news or paper though.

My best guess would be shockwave  [sonic boom] from a plane or meteor, dunno. 

Scared the bejesus out of us all...

They have open pit stripped all around me over the years and this explosion was 20 times larger than any blasting I`ve heard.

Aliens maybe???

Maybe it was HP trying to get an early start on tree tapping in some frozen Canadian maples. Dynamite and welding gloves don't go well together.  Guess better check on him:lol:

3 minutes ago, ChrisNY said:

Maybe it was HP trying to get an early start on tree tapping in some frozen Canadian maples. Dynamite and welding gloves don't go well together.  Guess better check on him:lol:

I don`t think he ventures far from the heat source anymore...

and I ain`t sayin where he gets his heat. 

A few years ago me and dad were working in the shop, welding something up I think. We were working away when all of sudden there was no power. I went in to check the breaker and it was all good. All of a sudden we heard a huge boom. Shook the whole shop and was extremey loud. Looked around and saw 1/2 mile away guys were dumping dirt along the road. Well I guess the one guy caught the power line with the tandem as he was lifting the box. Blew the line fuse so we lost power then the boom was both front tires on the truck exploding.

I don't think it would be something like that, but figured I'd share that story. That was the loudest boom I've ever heard.

Twice I've been woke up like that.  First time was a fertilizer plant that blew up, port Neal for those close to Sioux city, we're 30 some miles away from there.  The second was an inner tube we left one the garage that we were using as a floater that let go in the middle of the night.  Dad and I looked for a day or so before we found that one.

Good luck figuring it out.

I remember in the 70s, sonic booms were as common as today`s drug overdoses. 

I just don`t remember them being as intense as this one was. 

I have heard and felt stuff like that around here. I always figured it was someone like IHrunner having some fun in the bottoms (2 miles away) with some binary or something. 

I would bet money it was some guys ringing in the new year with tannerite......... Around here they tend to mix more than "one"!! lol

Some dumba##  butt shooting off fireworks.  Had a lot of 'em around me.  . 

Had one like that in the middle of a fine, clear, chilly Sunday afternoon about 10 yrs ago. Neighbors all came out looking around at the same time since they heard it too. Rattled the windows and cabinets, I first thought a car had run into my house! A couple acquaintances multiple miles away heard it as well!

About a week later, there was a story in the local paper about a couple guys testing a home made version of one of those gopher zappers that use propane and oxygen to blow up gopher tunnels. Apparently, they used a little more gas than they should have. The theory was, due to the fact the ground was frozen, the shock traveled multiple times farther than it would have. I can't say whether that was the culprit, but I would like to have seen the look on their faces on site if it was.

Any honda civics missing from the immideate area?

I had a tire blow on the rear of a Super M one time. Dad and I were a quarter of of a mile away from the buildings at the time. We could not find the source of the noise until we walked into the shop. The tractor next to it was drenched in calcium!  What a mess!

Considering the time and date it occurred, it was most likely some one celebrating the new year with an explosive device.

2 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

I had a tire blow on the rear of a Super M one time. Dad and I were a quarter of of a mile away from the buildings at the time. We could not find the source of the noise until we walked into the shop. The tractor next to it was drenched in calcium!  What a mess!

My friend had a 8N Ford. Pulled around to my shop to air one of the rears. Now he was a fellow who was very proud of how he dressed and would NEVER get dirty. I warned him to not put too much air in the old tire but,  He locked the chuck on and let it rip.  BOOM, the tire blew and soaked him from head to toe in old stinky calcium.  I laughed my a** off but was left to clean up the mess. It was priceless

Could it be the "frost quake" I read about??

16 hours ago, ihfarmer1586 said:

Could it be the "frost quake" I read about??

Mysterious noise near Ionia on new years day.

We had this happen about a month or so ago.  Loud boom in the middle of the night, woke us up, shook the house.  Numerous reports in a 10 mile radius.  Never did figure it out.

3 minutes ago, TN Hillbilly said:

We had this happen about a month or so ago.  Loud boom in the middle of the night, woke us up, shook the house.  Numerous reports in a 10 mile radius.  Never did figure it out.

So far I`ve spoken to people 20 miles away that confirmed hearing it. 

River is 10 miles away and nobody across river heard it. 

Interesting read about the frost quakes on google though. We had a lot of snow before deep freeze came. Dunno.

Sound like my teens and early 20s near three rivers Michigan lots of booms mostly cutting torch related but so,e heard miles away.....

I heard the same thing here on the MO/KS line. It sounded like someone slammed a car door here but right next to my bed. I jumped out of bed and ran outside to see wha tthe heck was going on and didn't see anything going on. Nearest neighbor is a mile away.

The first dealership I worked at also had a machine shop. A couple of the guys liked to make acetylene bombs by filling a balloon with acetylene and laying it outside the building. I can't remember exactly how they lit it off. They either had some type of a fuse or lit a match next to it and ran like he!!.  They would rattle the walls of the building when they went off! Bosses got a little upset!

A little like these.

I'm gonna go ahead and say runner sent something into orbit with a 30.06 and "some" tannerite!