Sign in to follow this  
skippydoo

Harrisburg Farm Show ?

I used to go to the Harrisburg Farm show years ago and was thinking about going this year.  Is the show still the same ?   They always had a lot of farm equipment and vendors there.  I'm not going for the livestock.  Thanks

Never been there , when is it ? March !

Not the same. Basically all of the Ag equipment vendors have left and it now is mostly focused on livestock and the products produced by pa agriculture. Still interesting and I have a lot of friends who take animals out. 

Now the good news.  Basically the equipment vendors left because they were tired of school children running everywhere and there equipment being used for picture backgrounds. Sooooo they went and created their own show called the York farm show or something like that. Also indoors and runs the same week and is in York county. If your just looking for equipment that’s the one to go to.  If your looking to promote Ag or see livestock the farm show is better

of course all this is dwarfed by Ag progress days that Penn State puts on in mid August. If you have never been there it’s about 20 acres of brand new equipment and tours of all the research plots. Very cool 

I went 3 or 4 years ago and that was the first time since the mid nineties . Disappointed, no good equipment displays. Just static, set up arrangements with signs showing non farm folks what it does.Still ok for animals and food. I spent about an hour, thats all it took. Got my milkshake and left.  Ag progress at Penn State is much more fun from an ag perspective. 

16 minutes ago, TomH said:

. Got my milkshake and left

If nothing else those are some good milkshakes. All the food is pretty good

560Dennis, the PA Farm Show begins this weekend, the 6th and goes to the 13th.  I used to go religiously since I was a kid.  The crowds, the lack of ag equipment, and the high parking price of $15 keeps me from attending.  I go only once every five years now and then wonder why I went.  I chalk up my desire to go to the food.  The food stands in the food court are fantastic and are almost all run by state-wide associations.  My food favorites are the potato doughnuts, french fries, milk shakes, and the roast beef sandwiches.  The PA Farm Show has become a intro to agriculture for suburbanites.  My intolerance for strollers and crowds keeps me away.

Skippydoo, the Keystone Farm Show in York is a real equipment farm show like Bdse25 said.  I attend that York show fairly regularly.  http://keystonefarmshow.com/

5 hours ago, EquipmentJunkie said:

560Dennis, the PA Farm Show begins this weekend, the 6th and goes to the 13th.  I used to go religiously since I was a kid.  The crowds, the lack of ag equipment, and the high parking price of $15 keeps me from attending.  I go only once every five years now and then wonder why I went.  I chalk up my desire to go to the food.  The food stands in the food court are fantastic and are almost all run by state-wide associations.  My food favorites are the potato doughnuts, french fries, milk shakes, and the roast beef sandwiches.  The PA Farm Show has become a intro to agriculture for suburbanites.  My intolerance for strollers and crowds keeps me away.

Skippydoo, the Keystone Farm Show in York is a real equipment farm show like Bdse25 said.  I attend that York show fairly regularly.  http://keystonefarmshow.com/

Agree with the above.  IMO the farm show is a JOKE!  The old main exhibition hall is nothing more than a big flea market now, or at least it was the last I was there.  The only thing interesting might be the antique tractor pull they have and the food likes been said.  Otherwise to me anyway its a waste of time.

And to think back in time it was the farm show Louisville is now............

I do think the farm show is beneficial though. It does a good job of introducing agriculture to people who would otherwise never see it. The farm show has essentially become a state funded public relations program for farming. If you already know “ this is a combine. It harvests the crops farmers grow” the farm show is basically 400 people gathered around a heap of butter, and livestock shows

I haven't been to the farm show in about 35 years. It is the keystone farm show that I attend every year since opening it's doors , may have missed one though

I was going to pull there , I'm out classed , don't have the motor ,but if the truck wil make it I'll get beat good and se what these guys are doing then come back at them in 19 .

that reminds me Columbus power show is coming up 

27 minutes ago, 560Dennis said:

I was going to pull there , I'm out classed , don't have the motor ,but if the truck wil make it I'll get beat good and se what these guys are doing then come back at them in 19 .

that reminds me Columbus power show is coming up 

Is that columbus show a good show to attend? Never heard of it

32 minutes ago, Gleaner k2 said:

Is that columbus show a good show to attend? Never heard of it

I have not been there in a long time , ! 

I did not know it was discontinued! 

Here is its replacement link http://www.omeda.org/powershow/

Sorry !  Good or bad can't say ! 

I haven't been in years like 35 or so. I am from PA,as a kid it was a highlight to go to, a great adventure. In the 70's I remember seeing a big IH 4wd there. I also remember seeing the famous 1066 on display there,the 5 millionth tractor.I was to young to realize it was a piece of history. I guess no one knew what was in store for IH.

Then what is the Bloomsburg show? All equipment? How does Bloomsburg compare to Keystone?

2 minutes ago, MTO said:

Then what is the Bloomsburg show? All equipment? How does Bloomsburg compare to Keystone?

Bloomsburg is the Redpower roundup in '19 unless I missed something. Keystone is the farmers farm show. 

Last time I was at the farm show I was a kid and I'm sure probably we were there little more often when I was a kid because Mom was part of the dairy promotion in Bucks county.    I don't know whether she helped do stuff there for that but I do kind of remember going there fairly often. 

The only thing I don't like about the Keystone Farm Show is the fact that Bath Fitter has a booth there and then there's a booth that hands out hand lotion type stuff and so it is getting some of the non-farm stuff there . Whenever I go by bath fitters Booth I just say we don't have indoor plumbing I'm Amish and keep walking ;)