pt756

whats worse wind chill or cold temps?

so would you rather have a 30 below wind chill or a 30 below temp with a calm wind. seems that when the wind blows it always feels a lot colder even today in the sun it wasn't bad on ther south side of the barn or shop. this is getting to be a long cold snap since Christmas day hasn't been above zero. 20 above is going to feel really good when we get there.

THE WIND IS WORSE I BELIEVE. IT GOES RIGHT THREW YOU.

Definitely no wind. When wind starts blowing  powder snow your eyes freeze and stuff just a nice calm day is bearable.

I have worked outside in temps down to -50 without wind, and wind chill so cold the charts don't go that low.  Wind is the worst, hands down. 

Yup wind definatley makes it worse. Takes more layers to stay warm. 

Both are bad, wind is worse!

When it's blowing so hard and cold that it's hard to breath in that one's the worst.  Today there wasn't any wind here and you could function if needed.

Wind without a doubt

36 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

Both are bad, wind is worse!

X2!!!

I've got some wind proof gear. Even with no wind blowing through your clothing you can feel the effects as you bleed off heat. So yea, wind is worst. That wind proof gear? pretty warm at -30......but you can feel yourself cooling for at 0 with the wind blowing pretty hard.

Rick

Body heat makes a thin layer of warm air on your skin, the wind blows this away. Exposed skin freezes pretty quick without that protection. Full snow suit with face mask and mitts make life a lot easier! And yeah, the wind is worse.

"talk about your cold! Through the parka's fold

It stabbed like a driven nail!"

I'll take 10 below without wind to 20 above with, big difference!

Wind chill, every time. Cold is not bad if it is not windy!

Hard to say.  Cold numbs my fingers, wind numbs my face.

This season it seems like both wind chills and bitter cold are in each day's forecast.  Maybe a break coming this weekend, at least for a couple days.

You can get out of the wind but cold temp gels fuel, guess it depends some on what you need to do. That said I am not a fan of either!

Only -6* here today but feels much colder. Pretty brisk wind for the first time in a long time and it makes it feel COLD.

No question for me, its the wind that determines if a day will be ok or miserable. Sunshine, blue sky and -20F is workable if there is no wind. But I've come close to hypothermia standing around at an auction sale at 30 degrees on a windy damp day. Could hardly turn the key in the truck ignition my hand was that stiff from the cold. 

Definitely wind.  It can be pretty comfortable on subzero days if a person's in the sun and out of the wind.

The redhead and I (I was driving) drove her car in to a drift we couldn't back out of during a whiteout back in the early 80s.  I walked half a mile back to the nearest neighbor for a pull.

The wind was blowing so hard I had to walk backwards in order to breathe,  Somewhere around minus 20 F and screaming northwest wind.  Next morning, overnight wind chill of minus 70 or so was reported from St. Joe.  If I'd turned an ankle, or had too many drinks, I'm pretty sure that would have been the end of the line for me.

I talked to an old Marine years ago who was on Peleliu, then got called back up for Korea, specifically the Chosin Reservoir.  He could barely walk because of frostbite to his feet.  I commented that he sure got put at the extremes.  He said "yes, and I'll tell you what.  I'll take hot over cold any day."

15 above today with a southeast wind cattle waters are exposed and frozen more than the other day when it was cold

Wind, not so much by itself but it just seems to drive the cold into everything and everyone!

Takes the fun out of winter.    

4 hours ago, dale560 said:

15 above today with a southeast wind cattle waters are exposed and frozen more than the other day when it was cold

Hate'ta rain on your parade but liquids react to the ACTUAL temperature , NOT to the "wind chill".  How'sum'ever, any wind will cause the object's temp to fall to the OAT (Ouside Air Temperature ) faster , the movement of the wind causes the object's temp to drop to the OAT more rapidly than if no wind was present.

best, randy 

26 minutes ago, Randy Sohn said:

Hate'ta rain on your parade but liquids react to the ACTUAL temperature , NOT to the "wind chill".  How'sum'ever, any wind will cause the object's temp to fall to the OAT (Ouside Air Temperature ) faster , the movement of the wind causes the object's temp to drop to the OAT more rapidly than if no wind was present.

best, randy 

That is our problem we are to tight to run big heaters and  our heaters are small don't want to spend any more on electricity than we have to. The cattle waterers usually get a thin layer of ice on real cold days maybe an 1 inch over night. But if we get a strong 30 mph wind out of south everything is exposed driving the heat out the bottom and freezing everything up. If wind is any other direction they are sheltered. But on days like today  we pull the cover turn heater up cover sides and when cows start drinking again everything is good. We normally don't worry to much other than check the waterers a couple times a day until it gets cold and windy. About every 10 years we pull Ritchie water fountain up put new rigid insulation all around and they are good for a while. The other night at about 5 below brother had to change fountain top it rusted a hole through and was leaking into base onto heater and insulation. Just comes with the territory. When it was warm and no snow 2 years ago we don't get it excited about turning power on until temps hover around zero. I guess what I am trying to say it is like heating your house with a lighter with the screens on the Windows. No wind it can probably build some heat a little breeze your heat is blown sideways out the screens.