My son has a friend who has male and female golden retriever’s and it looks like we will be getting a new puppy soon. Looking for suggestions on should we get a male or female?  We will get either one fixed or spaded. Just want one that will stay home and be a good pet . Thanks 

2 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Pets are like kids.  You get out of them what you put into them.

Agreed.  And if you get them fixed early they seem to stay around. If you are not going to have them cut then get a female. 

We we had a golden retriever for years, great dog, but drove me crazy for its first 3 years, then it was great. They take some growing up

Beautiful dogs and smart. Like any dog though they respect the alpha so you have to show them who is the boss. They"re quite OK with that, just want know where they stand. Got to exercise the heck out of them so they don't get bored and start chewing the furniture.

I have a Golden Retriever (female, spaded) named her Gemma after the character from SOA. She is the oppsite of her namesake tho. Gemma is a very loving and loyal friend who brings us much enjoyment. Pic is he day we brought her home to our lil Girl.

apple 031.JPG

We’re on our 2nd golden, awesome dogs, fun and loyal and female definitely respect the Alfa, you will definitely enjoy one !

I had two Golden’s. Both lived to be 13 and 12 years old. 

The first one was probably the smartest dog I’ve had. Just a really great dog, and an excellent dog with kids or as a watch dog. 

The second one, not so much. Friendly as ever, dumber than a box of rocks. How he made it to twelve is beyond me. I think he might of been the runt of the litter, or starved for oxygen, did I mention he was dumb?

If you get a puppy, go pick him out! I didn’t and wished I had. 

Sid

We've got our first golden retriever. She's a excellent dog. We adopted here from friends of my sister. She was 5 or 6 when we got her. She's extremely faithful and probably the happiest dog we've ever had. Doesn't matter where you go or what you do, if she's with you she always has a smile on her face. She's starting to get older now and a little slower but still a great companion. Will be a sad day when she goes that's for sure.

IMG_2645.JPG

IMG_0751.JPG

i've been thinking the same thing maybe it's time for a dog as well, I just don't know if I can give it the love and attention it needs

but the neighbours golden retriever is a nice dog doesn't jump up at strangers or bark much and usually will leave you alone if your doing something, i'll agree on energy holy man that thing could run to town and back and still have lots left

A kid and a puppy, what more could you want? They'll have fun growing up together.

6 hours ago, R Pope said:

A kid and a puppy, what more could you want? They'll have fun growing up together.

You said it! Our kids grew up with a Lab as did I, another great breed. Their love is unconditional. Both kids were away at college last April when we had to put him down. We had the vet over and, well, it was one of the saddest days ever. Dug a hole with the backhoe with snow melting on my cheeks, or at least that's what I would have told anyone who saw me. My wife and I found a single malt someone had given us and drank to his memory. That Scotch has become our favorite and we think of the dog and all the joy he brought whenever we imbibe. It's a shame they just don't last but give it their all while they're here. Snow on my cheeks again........

Yep... as I sit here reading red power I look up across the room to see my little buddy staring at me. He laid right by me the whole time I was down with flu, and in the seat of the truck all afternoon feeding cows. Now he is on my furniture using my pillow and I can't seem to make him get down. 

image.jpg