Sign in to follow this  
TN Hillbilly

Rebuilding steering valve JD 318

So the recently resurrected John Deere 318 has been home a few weeks now, and overall I’m  pleased with how it’s doin. However, the other day while hauling firewood into the basement, I noticed that it was leaking hydraulic fluid from under the steering wheel. A little searching online lead me to the conclusion that one or more seals in the Parker steering valve had shot its wad. I’ve got the thing out, which wasn’t too bad, just not much extra room there. (Now I gotta tell you, the folks over on the green forums must not have to deal with very complex mechanical problems very often. They made removal of the valve from the tractor sound about on the same level of difficulty as rebuild a engine at night with no flashlight and only a crescent wrench to work with! But I digress...) Anyway, any of you ever replaced the seals in one of these Parker units? Looks like Deere is the only place with the seal kit. Anyway, any tips for me? It’s a good cold day project, especially where I’ve got it parked!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks like a miniature version of big tractors. There will be some tiny thin gaskets a couple seals and some caged check valves the way it looks. The gears inside are timed so a manual would be nice to have.

Do a search on Only Cub Cadets. There are a few guys that have rebuilt those. If you can believe it,  Deere is the cheapest place to buy a new kit.

Be careful taking it apart, and make sure it goes back EXACTLY the way you disassembled it.

Good luck, 

Trent

Thanks, guys.  Found a manual online from Parker.  Doesn't look like it will be too bad, unless I drop a tiny spring or something on the floor and it "disappears."  I have a seal kit on the way from Deere.  $89 with my great discount! (sarcasm)

That Cub Cadet forum looks really neat, but I wasn't able to find any search feature on it, and I didn't feel like browsing through all those pages!  Am I missing something?

Son has a 318 and a 400. Never messed with the 318 but the 400, had to work on the hydraulic valve. Had a spool stuck and wasn't letting oil feed the steering. Got that freed up and now steering works. I think they were half assed when they worked right. The 318 is a lot better deal.

I have done that exact fix........without taking it all apart...wanted nothing of that!!!!

There is a quadring (square o-ring) in the top of the valve stack...it leaks and fills the column with oil.

CAREFULLY remove the long bolts...reverse 2 ea. to use as alignment dowels.  Take of ONLY the top cover, do not separate the stack anywhere else along the way, just the top cover.  Replace the quadring and reassemble.

Steve

I also have a .PDF of the manual...see IM

Any luck?

The seal kit from Deere didn't show up until yesterday.  My dealer told me last week, "Oh, we ordered those, but Deere must have lost the order.  We'll order them again for you."  Yeah.  I said, "What should I do if the first one you ordered also shows up?"  (Pause)  Local dealer says, "I don't much think it will show up."

Anyway, may tackle that tonight when I get home.

2 hours ago, TN Hillbilly said:

The seal kit from Deere didn't show up until yesterday.  My dealer told me last week, "Oh, we ordered those, but Deere must have lost the order.  We'll order them again for you."  Yeah.  I said, "What should I do if the first one you ordered also shows up?"  (Pause)  Local dealer says, "I don't much think it will show up."

Anyway, may tackle that tonight when I get home.

Yeah, forgot to order is more like it.

Got the new square seal and o-ring installed under the top cover.  Thanks, Mr. Plow, your advice kept me from taking the rest of that mess apart.  And you were spot on - the o-ring in that square seal was no where to be found, then I found some black debris up around the steering shaft, so I guess that's where it went, when the fluid pressure behind it pushed it up there.  Will try to get it back in the mower this weekend.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, this is the most knowledgeable, most helpful, and most respectful gathering of folks anywhere on the internet. 

Glad to hear all went well for you!!!