Sign in to follow this  
kal

Newton Implement, Newton Iowa

2 minutes ago, kal said:

Was he a salesman at one of the car dealers?

He worked for the school as the band instructor. High school I'm pretty sure.

23 minutes ago, 1967806 said:

He worked for the school as the band instructor. High school I'm pretty sure.

You are right.There was another one that sold cars.

Kal who bought maples and ran it for a year or 2 till he ran it bankrupt? Might be the dealer sticker he is thinking of. I cant remember  but think he put his name on dealership for a short time?

Noble sells ford , chevy and dodge in newton now 1967806.

Oops missed part of kals post about noble....must be getting tired.. sorry.

Back in the 70's when we had local out of the field tractors that pulled at the county fair here a couple guys showed up with some 86 series tractors from Newton. I'd be willing to say they were probably customers out of that dealership. At the time the tractors wouldn't have been that old and they both already had the paint and decals blistered on the hood beside the turbo. Would guess they probably ran them in the field set just like they were on the track.

9 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Kal who bought maples and ran it for a year or 2 till he ran it bankrupt? Might be the dealer sticker he is thinking of. I cant remember  but think he put his name on dealership for a short time?

Noble sells ford , chevy and dodge in newton now 1967806.

Forgot about that one,it was Ira Mitchell.

Thats right! 

Kal,

Am I seeing a red square Farmhand sign down on the corner of the lot right in front of that old U-Haul truck? As I recall, Newton had some shortline stuff and Farmhand was made in Grinnell. There is also a blue pylon sign on the roof of the dealer next to the red IH. Looks like a 86 series tractor just east of the main building and south of your pickup so maybe this is late '76?

If I had a dime for every time I drove through that lot between 1977 and 1980........

I think that is an 86 series tractor,the sign by the u-haul would be the sign for Barneys gas station. We sold Gehl equipment,not sure about Farmhand.When I started there a 1466 black stripe was on the gravel pad by the building.The 4166 on right side of the building I predelivered it and it went northeast of Colfax. I had to put a pto in it and they wanted 175 hp so they could chop silage. It was scary to was that pto jump around when it was loaded.They traded it back in a few years later ,ended up north of Newton then was sold to someone in Minnesota I think. Enjoyed the visit at RPRU and the article in Red Power.

Here is the emblem on my tailgate. I guess it must be a GMC dealer.

20180102_114755.jpg

They recently moved to a larger facility closer to the edge of town.  I have purchased a  couple of cars there over the years.

What's the modern day address of the intersection in the picture at the RH side of the picture? I want to pull it up on Google earth and see if I can replicate a recent picture.

E 17 st and 1st av? Or E 17th and hwy 6 maybe as it turns to hwy 6 outside of town.

It would be east 17th St and 1st Ave east  

I cant get the right angle and height on Google earth but here is the same intersection today. Only thing I see that's the same is the car dealership building. Its still hard for me to believe as many times as I was in Newton we never went by there at some point. I'm 100% sure I would have noticed all the IH stuff. I remember turning north off hwy 6 at an Earl May store to get to my aunt and uncles. That may be on west of this place.

GoogleEarth_Image.jpg

If you turned North at Earl May that is East 23rd Street, 6 blocks East of the dealership.

The building at the lower right has been there forever, upper right is the gas station in the old picture, the gap between the buildings in the center has recently been filled with another building.

I was to that dealer close-out sale in 1985 (IIRC). I remember bidding on a very nice late TD-25B w/ hyd dozer. I bid it up to $7000, was cheap at that, but money was HORRIBLY tight back then. I often think about it and kick myself for not going higher.

That Td 25 only went South about 6 miles.Farmer that bought it used it until 2000 when he retired.Don't know where it went after it sold on his sale.

20 minutes ago, ST-470 said:

I was to that dealer close-out sale in 1985 (IIRC). I remember bidding on a very nice late TD-25B w/ hyd dozer. I bid it up to $7000, was cheap at that, but money was HORRIBLY tight back then. I often think about it and kick myself for not going higher.

8 hours ago, DT Fan said:

If you turned North at Earl May that is East 23rd Street, 6 blocks East of the dealership.

Yep, I'm sure I had to have went by it but for the life of me cant remember it. Dad sometimes came in from the east too after getting off of 80 at what is now raceway drive I think. If that's the case wouldn't have went by it that way. Been too long ago to remember a lot about it I guess.

Why did the dealership close? Bankruptcy? Retirement? A victim of the CaseIH merger? Unfortunately, dealership closing were all too commonplace throughout the 80s with the bad farm economy. Looks like a very nice place when the picture was taken. Too bad that not very many pylon stores are still in business anymore.

9 hours ago, SDman said:

Why did the dealership close? Bankruptcy? Retirement? A victim of the CaseIH merger? Unfortunately, dealership closing were all too commonplace throughout the 80s with the bad farm economy. Looks like a very nice place when the picture was taken. Too bad that not very many pylon stores are still in business anymore.

Still one open in Grinnell, iowa. 12 or so miles east of Newton. Sounds like Nepowshiekfarmalls used to work there? Mark , one of the guys behind parts counter is pretty knowledgeable about older stuff. Other good guys there too.

Original owners retired in1983, next owners didn't get along with cnh very good and closed in 1986.

9 hours ago, SDman said: