Sign in to follow this  
kal

Newton Implement, Newton Iowa

Picture that a friend of mine found.Was taken in the late 1970's.My pickup is setting next to the street and driveway.The buildings were torn down several years ago.East side of Newton,Iowa.

Newton Imp.jpg

Wow!  That is a neat photo, Kal. Now I know exactly where the dealership used to be.

Cool photo. Never get tired of seeing those prototype buildings. I personally wish more were still standing. Thanks for sharing.

2 hours ago, kal said:

Newton,Iowa.

Newton?  Isn't that where they made Magtag washing machines?

best, randy

Yes it was,sad day when they closed.

Cool picture, wish could blow it up to see what equipment is parked around there

Me too on the awesome picture! Love to see that stuff. I've said it before, oh to go back to when IH was IH. Thanks for sharing!

I started there in July 1976, this had to have been right after that.Another building was added to the one on the left and the main building was remodeled before 1980.

1 hour ago, DT Fan said:

My how the landscape has changed since then!

Alot of the buildings are gone and the few that are still there are being used for different things now.

WHAT IS THE HUGE BUILDING ACROSS THE HIGHWAY?

1 minute ago, farmall666 said:

WHAT IS THE HUGE BUILDING ACROSS THE HIGHWAY?

That's the old 'shopping center'. It's gone now, replaced by a HyVee store now, (with the most miserable parking lot ever conceived).

So what part of newton was this in? Is out close to where walmart is now north of the race track? I have relatives that live near the east part of town in newton that we used to visit quite often in the 70s and 80s and I never even knew there was a dealership in that town. They moved there in 72 into a new at the time house. My uncle stayed in the house after my aunt passed away. He is a retired band instructor form the newton school.

I always remember gawking at the machinery at the dealership in Knoxville on the way to newton. They were across the street from the racetrack then.

Right off of Hwy 6 towards the east side. The dealership was on the north side if the highway, the shopping center on the south. The little building on the angled lot on the south side of the highway was a budget used car lot for years. Neat to see the car dealership behind the store in the background.  When did you leave the dealership, Kal?

It would be about a mile to the west of where Wall Mart is, on the main drag through town. If you look at Google maps and zoom in enough it shows the HyVee location, Newton Imp. was just to the East of there. There is an anytime fitness there now.

52 minutes ago, 1967806 said:

So what part of newton was this in? Is out close to where walmart is now north of the race track? I have relatives that live near the east part of town in newton that we used to visit quite often in the 70s and 80s and I never even knew there was a dealership in that town. They moved there in 72 into a new at the time house. My uncle stayed in the house after my aunt passed away. He is a retired band instructor form the newton school.

I always remember gawking at the machinery at the dealership in Knoxville on the way to newton. They were across the street from the racetrack then.

I believe there is a halmark store in the approximate location of where part of ihs store/ lot was. Barneys gas station was on the coner, was right next to ih. Napa store there now. The old Maple chevy dealer been closed for sum years now. Other busineses and storage rental there now.....

The street in front of the building is Hiway 6 running east and west. The store was on the south side.Swimming pool on the left belonged to MidIowa motel and has been filled in several years.Maples Chevy was on the south side.Small brick building across the street was the Fireside restaurant,the long building next to it was the state liquor store at that time.There is four businesses there now.I stayed until they closed in 1986.Ten years to the day that I started there.

3 hours ago, kal said:

The street in front of the building is Hiway 6 running east and west. The store was on the south side.Swimming pool on the left belonged to MidIowa motel and has been filled in several years.Maples Chevy was on the south side.Small brick building across the street was the Fireside restaurant,the long building next to it was the state liquor store at that time.There is four businesses there now.I stayed until they closed in 1986.Ten years to the day that I started there.

So what street is that on the west side of the dealership running north and south? We may not have ever gotten out that far east. Sometimes we would take 80 over to the exit where the racetrack is now and go in to my aunt and uncles. Their place was west a little bit from that road that goes out to 80.

4 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I believe there is a halmark store in the approximate location of where part of ihs store/ lot was. Barneys gas station was on the coner, was right next to ih. Napa store there now. The old Maple chevy dealer been closed for sum years now. Other busineses and storage rental there now.....

What is the Chevy dealer called in newton now? I got a tailgate for one of my pickups this summer from a salvage yard that had their decal on it. Cant remember what it said now.

2 hours ago, 1967806 said:

So what street is that on the west side of the dealership running north and south? We may not have ever gotten out that far east. Sometimes we would take 80 over to the exit where the racetrack is now and go in to my aunt and uncles. Their place was west a little bit from that road that goes out to 80.

That is 17th St it just goes about 1/2 mile south and at 8th Ave by the YMCA.If you don't mind me asking ,what was your aunt and uncle's name? Maples was the last Chevy dealer there,it was Hawkeye before that.Noble now has Chevy and it is at the west Newton exit.

26 minutes ago, kal said:

That is 17th St it just goes about 1/2 mile south and at 8th Ave by the YMCA.If you don't mind me asking ,what was your aunt and uncle's name? Maples was the last Chevy dealer there,it was Hawkeye before that.Noble now has Chevy and it is at the west Newton exit.

My uncle was Donald Perkins. He married my dads older sister Moneta. I think she worked at a bank up there for several years until she retired.

Seems like my cousin took us to a YMCA a few times to go swimming. It was indoors and it was winter I do remember.

Was he a salesman at one of the car dealers?