Sign in to follow this  
421malibu

flu fires always in the back of my mind

Love the heat from a wood stove but hate the mess, danger and extra work. Used to burn wood years ago but as I got older it was much easier to just turn up the thermostat. When we built new house we built EnergyStar certified with extra insulation and did not even consider putting in wood stove or boiler.

Aside from having a good 10# ABC extinguisher handy, another trick you can use if you can access the top of your chimney is fill a couple sandwich bags with ABC powder from extinguisher and throw them down the chimney. Bags melt as they go down chimney and updraft carries powder with it and works great. Usually takes at least 2 bags.

Outdoor wood stove here... loving life. Always have hot water, and a warm house. I don't mind turning up t stat knowing it's just more wood. Before on gas 2 tanks a year and stingy with the tstat. I burn some feed bags and net wrap almost daily when I'm done feeding off my truck and that takes care of any creosote in the flu which is only 6' long. But I will admit if your not willing to commit some serious time to cutting wood and as I like to say being married to your stove all winter, it's not for you.  I usually load mine 2 times a day. It depends on how cold it is to how much wood i pitch in. I find this works better than stuffing it and trying to go longer. You wind up with a bunch of unburnt coals in the bottom.  One word of wisdom for anyone considering putting one in. DONT SKIMP On the underground pipe. Put in only the best. It's expensive. Logstor or thermopex are a couple good brands to name a few. I learned this by school of hard knocks. Cost me $900 in the old stuff that lasted 2 years and $1800 in the new. My wood consumption went down 40%. No lie

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:46 AM, Farmall Doctor said:

This stuff works great! I used to turn the flue damper back and forth to break the creosote in the damper, but now there is none! Just sprinkle a capful on a low hot fire every couple of days. 

IMG_20180101_114232.jpg

searched for this product and all in Canada ?

Could be, but I am sure you could find another brand somewhere.  I am still going to sweep and fully clean out the chimney and woodstove at least once a year, but this stuff definitely helps with creosote buildup, and will promote better heating.

In town we still have a zinc smelting operation that in the old days employed about the whole town. The old timers would bring home a handful of zinc powder and throw it in the stove. Said the creosote just fell out the flue. Maybe that’s what’s in that bottle

my great grandpa always had potatoe peelings around and kept some fresh ones by the stove. Claimed in the case of a flue fire just throw them on your fire and it would put it out. Not sure if it really worked

Probably the steam from the potatoes put it out??  I have also heard of burning aluminum cans to reduce it too.  We have a Fisher stove and a SS flue tube down the chimney.  Being smooth and straight helps with the buildup as well.