Malone Farms

IH 1460 combine Hydrostatic Cable Replacement

Yesterday my propulsion cable on my 1460 combine froze up. It won’t move at all, so I’m going to put a new one on it. But where do i start on that. It seems to loose me through its way to the cab. Any help would be appreciated!

Been awhile with a 1460 but I think if you take the cover off on outside of cab opposite of door (outside wall where controls are) you can unhook from lever and it goes through the cab and routes above the cylinder and back out to the pump back by the engine

I did a throttle cable when we had ours it was not terrible but took some time it runs basically the the same route if I’m not mistaken 

Once you start pulling it through the cab from pump end will it just pull out? 

And when replacing it, how hard will it be to hit each hole with the cable? It seems to loose me when it crosses above the rotor. I don’t know if there’s a pipe for it to travel through or if it’s just loose. 

Thanks for any information 

Tie a string or wire on old cable before you pull old one out.    Tie string or electrical tape it to new one and pull it the same path.  

Nate

It has a couple clamps that hold it up out of the way inside by rotor the hard spots are small holes at back of cab and should have rubber bushing/ grommet in cab wall and wall of seperator you can reach inside seperator from left side of machine and feel your way to top of cylinder and your throttle cable will be there also it basically follows same path I had to stand on 4’ step laddder to reach top of cylinder cause I’m too short

If I remember correctly I took side panel off by cab, side panels by rotor undid  clamps hooked small rope on and puiled it out used rope to help guide new cable in. Grommets behind cab were the worst part. Helps to have to two people. Not hard just tedious. 

I remember when dads 1460 was almost new. He was combining rye for neighbor about 6 miles away he started the dust on top of rotor on fire. Burnt the throttle and hydro cable. He was hot ( mad) combine came flying in the yard wide open after he put 🔥 out. The vise griped the hydro open and bent cable to hold throttle open to drive home.

Malone

Like Nate said,   I would be sure and tie the new cable to the old one before you pull the old one out.    I found a couple of NF nuts and welded a couple of inches of small chain to them.    This allows you to pull the new cable straight and won't hook the threaded end on something 1/2 way through.    It is less likely to pull off than the tape or rope .

GT&T 

Thanks guys! I got it replaced. It was surprisingly easy. I tied a string to the end of it and pulled it out then tied cable to string to do the reverse.  Thanks for all your help!