Finney

COLD

our fire dept lost a house yesterday it was -12 could see the smoke a mile before we got to the hall still had to go 6 miles the out to the fire  every thing was freezing up would take a cap off to hook up a line and it would be plugged with ice spent 8 hrs there all the water had to be hauled  The good thing- nobody hurt  !

Weather girl said that Omaha set a record yesterday .. -30.  Old record was in 1880 or something like that. I was outside for a couple hours yesterday. The sun was shining, and with the right clothes on it didn't seem that cold at all.  I was worried about the cattle, but when I went to check, they were all laying in the sun. Didn't seem to be bothering them.  Heat wave today, supposed to have a high of 5 or 6.  Shouldn't complain, there could be 3 feet of snow out there too. I remember many times growing up having to push snow away from the bunks so I could feed the cattle.

It wasn't uncommon in the 50's to be snowed in for a week at a time (or more). Walt Messerschmidt use to run the open station crawler with a V blade. I remember his sheepskin outfit he wore. Everything was covered except his eyes, and those were covered with goggles. He would stop every few miles at a farmhouse to warm up and get some coffee. Don't know why I remember it, but in '56 they said his dozer never shut off in 4 days. He would let it run while he grabbed a couple hours of sleep, and then go back at it.       Back when men were men.

3 hours ago, R190 said:

our fire dept lost a house yesterday it was -12 could see the smoke a mile before we got to the hall still had to go 6 miles the out to the fire  every thing was freezing up would take a cap off to hook up a line and it would be plugged with ice spent 8 hrs there all the water had to be hauled  The good thing- nobody hurt  !

No discharge drains on that engine?  No pump pans or pump heaters? Cold weather ops are not easy but they are doable. At least no one was hurt

we have pump heaters  heat baffles and drains but if you pump for several  hours and your valve allows even the slightest drop of water through you get a slug of ice where the pipe comes through the pump panel and buts up against the cap.  and  these nice nfpa turndowns we have pumped in a lot colder weather with less trouble but yesterday things did not go real smoothly.

54 minutes ago, R190 said:

we have pump heaters  heat baffles and drains but if you pump for several  hours and your valve allows even the slightest drop of water through you get a slug of ice where the pipe comes through the pump panel and buts up against the cap.  and  these nice nfpa turndowns we have pumped in a lot colder weather with less trouble but yesterday things did not go real smoothly.

Ahhh ok, I thought you meant it was froze up when you got there. I feel your pain. 

483B8A4D-B100-41A2-B258-A27E8B509FEC.jpeg

5 hours ago, dads706 said:

that Omaha set a record yesterday .. -30

I strongly suspect that OMA was quoting the "windchill"/"chill factor" instead of the actual ltemperature (a BIG difference between those two!

Sorry Randy. That was actual temp. My thermometer showed -26.   Wind chill was recorded at -45 in Atlantic (25 miles from here)

1 hour ago, dads706 said:

Sorry Randy. That was actual temp. My thermometer showed -26.   Wind chill was recorded at -45 in Atlantic (25 miles from here)

Yup, had figured that it was the OAT and not the windchill.  Surely see a lot of that cr-p, the TV stations/radio stations seem to use that a lot to show how bitterly cold it is and - to tell'ya' the truth, it's useless for information to anything other than a living being.  It just confuses the issue - as it did here!

best, randy

Guess are dog must think it's cold too.  At noon came in house to let him out and found him buried in his kennel! Too Funny! Had to share. You can see his nose sticking out in the corner closest to you.

20180105_143347.jpg

Above 0F here now again for the highs. Actually calling for around 30F on Sun. T shirt and shorts weather lol. Also calling for snow on Tuesday so I'm hoping they get it right.  One forecaster is saying 6-8 inches. Would give me some real nice ridding conditions if that happens.

11 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Would give me some real nice ridding conditions if that happens.

Not much snow here but I did take my first ride this morning @-17°  was a little chilly....

20180106_090251.jpg

Gearing up now for a ride, 10* above

Again.....i cant even imagine. Minus anything.  Imagine Tony?  Hed need some Crown just to keep blood rhin enough to pump. 

23 hours ago, ole 815 said:

Guess are dog must think it's cold too.  At noon came in house to let him out and found him buried in his kennel! Too Funny! Had to share. You can see his nose sticking out in the corner closest to you.

20180105_143347.jpg

Is that a chawauwa?

1 hour ago, 560Dennis said:

Is that a chawauwa?

Multease/ poodle.     (Multi/poo)

This was coming thru Sterling Illinois early this am.

58A10D02-ABB1-4798-95C8-65729A608381.jpeg

2 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Again.....i cant even imagine. Minus anything.  Imagine Tony?  Hed need some Crown just to keep blood rhin enough to pump. 

Ha.  We rode today, hit a low of -15.  

and crown does help 

On 1/5/2018 at 8:10 PM, ole 815 said:

20180105_143347.jpg

Man i wish i was a dog...... who wouldnt love that?

-18 with -48 windchill Friday night

-28 with - 34 windchill this morning

Little warmer weather coming this week