Finney

COLD

Heat wave here in central lower Michigan, it was 6°From above zero this morning!!  Much nicer that the -10° to -18°  I've been seeing in the morning.  Thankfully I live far enough from the big lake to see only small amounts of lake effect snow here.

I always kind of laugh at the wind chill to a certain point. I can't help but think about what the windchill factor is on my snowmobile at -10 or -20°F going 50-60 mph across a open field lol.  If you're not dresssed for it, it can sure make life miserable though. 

-20°F was the low overnight. Up to -12°F already this morning. Maybe we'll make it to zero for a change. 

My story continues....... My post earlier was made from under my warm covers in bed. I got up to let the dogs out and the downstairs was 58 degrees!  The furnace was running, but no warm air detected. Went down to the basement, the firebox was cool enough that I  could nearly stick my hand in with it running!  Bundled up and went outside, had to be a stuck regulator or an empty tank. (The coop has us on keep full, right?)   Brushed 5" of fluffy snow off the lid and looked at the guage:  0 %!   Called the Coop, truck will be over soon, so sorry they forgot to come fill me up, musta missed me on the list! 

Truck showed up about 11.  Driver said that his truck was the only one out of 7 L.P. delivery trucks running this morning. His tried to gel up on the way here!  Was heading directly to his nephew's repair shop a few miles away to thaw his truck out. The ticket shows he pumped in 947 gallons into my 1000 gallon tank! House is warming up as I type this. Stay warm and safe everyone,  Happy New Year!

Lucky here 29 outside and under 50 inside this morning with furnace problems.:oMommy not happy.  My guess is most of the country will be happy when climate change hits in the spring. 

3 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

My story continues....... My post earlier was made from under my warm covers in bed. I got up to let the dogs out and the downstairs was 58 degrees!  The furnace was running, but no warm air detected. Went down to the basement, the firebox was cool enough that I  could nearly stick my hand in with it running!  Bundled up and went outside, had to be a stuck regulator or an empty tank. (The coop has us on keep full, right?)   Brushed 5" of fluffy snow off the lid and looked at the guage:  0 %!   Called the Coop, truck will be over soon, so sorry they forgot to come fill me up, musta missed me on the list! 

Truck showed up about 11.  Driver said that his truck was the only one out of 7 L.P. delivery trucks running this morning. His tried to gel up on the way here!  Was heading directly to his nephew's repair shop a few miles away to thaw his truck out. The ticket shows he pumped in 947 gallons into my 1000 gallon tank! House is warming up as I type this. Stay warm and safe everyone,  Happy New Year!

We had the shop filled the other day and coop runs 2 trucks fl business trucks with automatics. The other truck driver called our driver to tell him he couldn't get pto to engage. I guess it is common on new trucks get to site and not be able to pump or even drive away.

-7 here this morning. Furnace shuts off for 10 minutes then back on. My old house isn't very energy efficient.

It's still -10 here at noon and my thermometer says it got to -23 last night. At least there's not much wind. 

KIMG0558.thumb.JPG.23c13e090a7f4dac0a3b9bd76076b3c0.JPG

2 minutes ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

It's still -10 here at noon and my thermometer says it got to -23 last night. At least there's not much wind. 

KIMG0558.thumb.JPG.23c13e090a7f4dac0a3b9bd76076b3c0.JPG

So what does this thermometer look like on a hot summer day?

Her clothes start to disappear. :rolleyes: Never totally though! 

46 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Dang! That sucks! Glad you were just outa fuel tho and not broken down furnace! Stay warm.

I hear you, nepowesheik!   At 5:30 my wife woke me up, says it's darn cold in here!  52° downstairs, my furnace fan was just humming, not turning.  Boiler was up to 180°, but no fan to blow air through the heat exchanger.  Fan motor was hot to the touch, had to lock out power and let the fan motor cool.  Was able to spin it by hand and flip the power on,  must be a bad starting capacitor.  Turned up the thermostat to 80° so it won't turn off again.  House is up to 66° now.  Nothing like a cold cellar at 5:30 am in my underwear, bleeding all over cuz I cut a finger spinning the squirrel cage fan up.  Maybe I'll watch another episode of 72 deadliest animals of south America to remind me why I live where it gets so darn cold.  It can always be worse, texted my sister in grand forks nd last Tuesday on the way home from family Christmas, my truck said-4°F.  She said hers read -23°F, she was driving to the hospital for another shift.  Her family just moved there from temple, Texas.  That's a climate change for ya!  Stay warm, RP family!!

Dad used to talk about coming into the 100 yr old house we lived in till new one was built. Would be out grinding feed in the open all day and when he would come in to drafty old house he couldn't get warm no matter how many blankets or clothes he put on. -10 last i looked here...heater on in garage, hope to work on the regular today and tomorrow before heading back to work Wednesday.

2 hours ago, boog said:

I remember back in the '50s when we were feeding cattle. One lot was two miles away, feed with an "M" on the feed wagon & an "H" on the hay wagon. H had an old cable lift Schwartz loader with a blade on the front to clear the road. Tractors did have "cabettes". And they say those were the "Good Ole Days":unsure:

Do they have your building tied down?  Knew a couple that went down in a wind storm like a popsickle stick house because they weren't tied down. When they built our they would chain a tractor to one end gable & a tele-handler to the other end.

Poles are 5.5 ft on the ground and all perlins are on walls and rafters every 2 ft. Rafters have catwalks and are cross braced with 2x6s. Also have steel strapping bracing on walls and rafters. The south wall where the overhead doors will be is chained to posts driven into the ground at 45°. On the windy days they did chain to the telehandler. We needed another week of warmer weather to sheet it, but it's supposed to get a little warmer by the end of this week. My neighbors are doing the work, we help when we can. Just got the ewes sheared on Friday, and should get started lambing by end of the week. That may take me away from the building. 

I scanned the manual so you could see AKWelder.

Scan_20180101.png.f7d26894c820357db079ca7b813209ce.png

Funny thermometer :)

I find it ironic that the thread is titled cold, red heading is alerting me it's a hot topic. ;)

We have been below zero for days, forecast doesn't look any better. Been cleaning walks in the barn.

14 minutes ago, ihfarmer1586 said:

I hear you, nepowesheik!   At 5:30 my wife woke me up, says it's darn cold in here!  52° downstairs, my furnace fan was just humming, not turning.  Boiler was up to 180°, but no fan to blow air through the heat exchanger.  Fan motor was hot to the touch, had to lock out power and let the fan motor cool.  Was able to spin it by hand and flip the power on,  must be a bad starting capacitor.  Turned up the thermostat to 80° so it won't turn off again.  House is up to 66° now.  Nothing like a cold cellar at 5:30 am in my underwear, bleeding all over cuz I cut a finger spinning the squirrel cage fan up.  Maybe I'll watch another episode of 72 deadliest animals of south America to remind me why I live where it gets so darn cold.  It can always be worse, texted my sister in grand forks nd last Tuesday on the way home from family Christmas, my truck said-4°F.  She said hers read -23°F, she was driving to the hospital for another shift.  Her family just moved there from temple, Texas.  That's a climate change for ya!  Stay warm, RP family!!

Grand forks is a nice town and generally one of colder spots in state. Hope she likes it there. If she has kids they will be playing hockey pretty quick

I feel for the rest of you folks from down here in North Texas where it is down to +24F today.  With 5 kts of wind, and short sleeves, it is COLD out.

I discovered the high-tech laser pointed temperature sensor fails to work properly at below +30F; it displays a -5F for +23F.

Good old mercury bulb is still good.

Cheap modern crap.

We jus had our warmest day of the year so far.  Haha ha.    Never got above zero

-17 here this morning. -35 wind chill. 

Jerry

-1 here in Mt. Washington,KY.. well, It is WINTER you know!!!!!

Pembroke

-12 on the way to work this morning. 

Only got to -20 last night, its a nice little heat wave, but its snowing again^_^ The cold stuff is not supposed to be here until Friday and Saturday:huh: High temp Saturday is supposed to be -15

Going to be a three dog night here tonite ! Or like my friend said thirty dog night, I got a chauawa 🤓👀🌡

Going to be a three dog night here tonite ! Or like my friend said thirty dog night, I got a chauawa 🤓👀🌡