Finney

COLD

2 hours ago, 806 man said:

Not trying to start anything political here, however,  a friend told me it's so cold there the libs have their hands in their own pockets for a change.. 

Good one. Actually the intense cold is coming out of Siberia and down over the top of the north pole. Polar vortex is what they call it. Like Trump says "Global warming and shakes his hands in front of him"

On second thought, one good thing about the cold weather is that cattle and hogs eat more to keep warm. So with more than normal  corn and soybeans being consumed, the prices should eventually rise.

"Mini ice age".....When I graduated from Hi-school, in 1965, the wizards of smart all said that going to college was a waste of money...Everybody on earth would  freeze to death before 2000, in the next ice age.......:blink:

Well, I'm still waiting....

Mike

Warmed up to -6°F this afternoon. Took off on the sled for a few hours and toured around the neighbourhood.  Saw something I've never seen before around here. Nice little bobcat was sitting in the middle of the trail. Not something you usually see around here. Wasn't terribly afraid of me but I didn't go chase it either to see if it purred or growled lol.  Could've got a picture if my phone hadn't died from the cold. Was back down to -11°F when I got home.  Only managed to get one picture before the phone died  

IMG_2838.JPG

This cold weather  is getting serious.

My brother lives on the coast neat st Petersburg fl.  He is forecast to be in the 40s later this week.   he will have to put both of his sweaters  on!

THX  ACE

20s here and breezy.  Had 30mph wind friday, 2" of rain, 27d.  100s of poles and trees down.  They think pos tuesday power back....lo hopes.  2 farms diesel is killing us...  Yes cold makes everything go slow.  And dumb...

55 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Warmed up to -6°F this afternoon. Took off on the sled for a few hours and toured around the neighbourhood.  Saw something I've never seen before around here. Nice little bobcat was sitting in the middle of the trail. Not something you usually see around here. Wasn't terribly afraid of me but I didn't go chase it either to see if it purred or growled lol.  Could've got a picture if my phone hadn't died from the cold. Was back down to -11°F when I got home.  Only managed to get one picture before the phone died  

You are braver than me going out on a snowmobile today. It was nice enough in the sun and out of the wind but that wind chill out in the open was more than I wanted to face for more than a few minutes. Wonder if it was a lynx you saw? From what I have read they are more of a Northern critter while the bobcat is more in the South. 

With my good snowmobile suit on I was actually quite warm. Nothing for wind protection on my sled so I have to buy good cloths to wear. Hands were nice and toasty. If by chance I do get cold I either do a little bit of technical riding where I have to move around or I get off the sled for a couple minutes and just walk around. Usually doesn't take much to get warmed back up again. I wasn't breaking any land speed records, don't think I hit over 50 mph today.

I debated at first in my head if it might have been a lynx. I looked at the pics when I got home though and I'm sure it was a bobcat. It didn't have the two long points on it's ears or below it's neck. Lynx has a couple tuffs of hair below its chin on it's neck that comes down to a point. This animal was all smooth. When my brother was dirt biking last summer up in the bush near the Hansen Lake Road he saw a Bobcat in the bush there as well. First for both of us. That one was another 60 miles north of here as the crow flies.

2 this morning in Mt. Washington,KY . I'll be staying in most of the day.  Have to walk the dog once in a while. He didn't want to go out this morning,but finally did his business and headed back to his house. Don't blame him a bit!!!

Pembroke

Woke up to -22 this morning, I'm glad I don't have livestock on a morning like this.  It's the coldest on record for 2018!

4 minutes ago, Pete1468 said:

Woke up to -22 this morning, I'm glad I don't have livestock on a morning like this.  It's the coldest on record for 2018!

Wow! That pretty crazy, must be a nation wide thing as we had record lows for 2018 also. 

-29 this morning, its warming up finally!! 

1 minute ago, ChrisNY said:

-29 this morning, its warming up finally!! 

Is it Chris? I think your just getting use to it. Yesterday we had 3 for a high and it wasn’t bad as long as you stayed in the sun and no wind. The shop was 50 and felt extremely warm.....

Well its better than -32 the other morning. Its a small victory but I will take it. Has not been above 0 here in a few days. Looks even colder at end of week so got that to look forward to.

-27° yesterday at 7 am, got colder as sun came up down to -31°. -28° this morning right now. Supposed to slowly warm by end of week. I have a load of steel to put on my new shed but it has to be warmer than this! Tractors really put out a fog! The 5288 on the bale processor headed down to feed cows a mile away. The 560 still has #2 fuel in it. Covering the engine really helps. We sure are spoiled with cabs with heaters!

20171231_101221.jpg

20171231_090014.jpg

21 below zero at 8:30 in the morning on New Year's day.  High is forecasted to be 7 below for today. Lines to dishwasher on the north wall froze up yesterday. Have faucets dripping hoping that we don't loose any more lines.  Forecast is for below zero the next several days.  Are you kidding me????? 

45 minutes ago, 1958560 said:

-27° yesterday at 7 am, got colder as sun came up down to -31°. -28° this morning right now. Supposed to slowly warm by end of week. I have a load of steel to put on my new shed but it has to be warmer than this! Tractors really put out a fog! The 5288 on the bale processor headed down to feed cows a mile away. The 560 still has #2 fuel in it. Covering the engine really helps. We sure are spoiled with cabs with heaters!

20171231_101221.jpg

20171231_090014.jpg

I don't see how Y'all do it even with cabs!!  Just shows how tough the old timers were, cloths weren't as good then and no one had a cab.  Cows still got fed though, You yanks are some tough Men, I'll take 100* with snakes and bugs.  My hands are cold just thinking about working where Y'all are.  I watched loadstars video yesterday getting the old truck out, did most of His work with one glove off!!!!  I think My fingers got numb watching.

lot colder this morning main water line into barn froze and broke here in central wis.

I  heard Lake Erie is freezing over at a record rate pace . I m for it cause it results less lake effect snow , think People in Erie pa area would like that ! I think ,maybe not ! 

-17* this morning, currently -10* with a wins chill of -26.  Sure glad I don't have livestock to feed & water anyore, feel for you guys that do. I did check on the cats out in the shop yesterday, they had plenty of water & food & heat was set on 50*, they're on their own today cause this "old crusty fart" is staying in.

1 hour ago, 1958560 said:

20171231_101221.jpg

20171231_090014.jpg

I remember back in the '50s when we were feeding cattle. One lot was two miles away, feed with an "M" on the feed wagon & an "H" on the hay wagon. H had an old cable lift Schwartz loader with a blade on the front to clear the road. Tractors did have "cabettes". And they say those were the "Good Ole Days":unsure:

Do they have your building tied down?  Knew a couple that went down in a wind storm like a popsickle stick house because they weren't tied down. When they built our they would chain a tractor to one end gable & a tele-handler to the other end.

15 hours ago, acem said:

This cold weather  is getting serious.

My brother lives on the coast neat st Petersburg fl.  He is forecast to be in the 40s later this week.   he will have to put both of his sweaters  on!

THX  ACE

We went to Disney world before Christmas about 7 years ago. It was down to 29 in Orlando one night and a 40 mph wind. It was cold down there that day also. High humidity cold and wind will make you shiver.

12 minutes ago, boog said:

I remember back in the '50s when we were feeding cattle. One lot was two miles away, feed with an "M" on the feed wagon & an "H" on the hay wagon. H had an old cable lift Schwartz loader with a blade on the front to clear the road. Tractors did have "cabettes". And they say those were the "Good Ole Days":unsure:

Do they have your building tied down?  Knew a couple that went down in a wind storm like a popsickle stick house because they weren't tied down. When they built our they would chain a tractor to one end gable & a tele-handler to the other end.

I think you can see it cross chained top to bottom behind the 560. They big buildings like to blow down without tin on don't they.

Just reading on Facebook in 1983 some of coldest temps in state  North Dakota were recorded had a grand forks news paper article. Lots of 48 49 below and they were talking 97 below windchill. The other morning we had 31 below and 57 below wind chill for a while.

IMG_2003.PNG