Finney

COLD

Its 11*, trying to get everything started. Old Dodge/Cummins fired right off. Welding machine no go. Supposed to spend the day at a sawmill.  

We have all gotten used to these mild winters this is the kind of winter I remember ,

Yesterday it was -31* here but much colder further North. Too dang cold for shop work on the Demo C, use too much wood warming.

Sun is heading into a slow, colder solar cycle. Order your 90 day rm corn boys, mini ice age coming!

Feel like winter back in the 60s here.

-32 here this morning

Huh, only -24 here Chris, surprised you were colder.

Everything operating on the farm?

Anyone with livestock knows how tough it is when the temp drops this low. Everything you do just takes longer and some days it seems it is just one problem after another.

Just getting through the day and getting chores done can be quite an accomplishment. But, getting everything done and returning to a nice warm house at the end of a long day is such a sense of satisfaction.

5* here at 7:00 AM, pretty balmy compared to you Chris!     Global warming strikes again.

1 hour ago, hillskinefarms said:

Anyone with livestock knows how tough it is when the temp drops this low. Everything you do just takes longer and some days it seems it is just one problem after another.

Just getting through the day and getting chores done can be quite an accomplishment. But, getting everything done and returning to a nice warm house at the end of a long day is such a sense of satisfaction.

I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN. I REMEBER THOSE DAYS. GETTING TRACTORS STARTED..BARN CLEANER BREAKS GET THAT FIXED THEN SILO UNLOADER. THAW WATER PIPES. THEN PLOW SNOW. GET FIREWOOD IN. BURNS A LOT MORE WOOD THAN NORMAL. PLUS NORMAL CHORES...

1 hour ago, hillskinefarms said:

Yea, everything operating just a lot slower.  Glad I am the crop guy on these days.

7-below here this morning, and Houghton looks to be the warm spot in the Upper Peninsula.  Lake effect snow is over for a day or two.  It's been 24-7 snow for the past week.

So far no freeze-ups or hard starting,  just cold fingers and lots of snow to move.

2 hours ago, ChrisNY said:

-32 here this morning

As the locals up here are wont to mutter - "Uff-dah".

best, randy

2 hours ago, hillskinefarms said:

knows how tough it is when the temp drops this low.

Yup, concur, made me recall life growing up in NW Iowa/SW Minnesota, tank heaters, etc!

best, randy

50 minutes ago, bob_carr said:

and Houghton looks to be the warm spot in the Upper Peninsula

Chuckle, that made me recall flying that route we had from DLH to CMX.  One photo I've kept was one of our DC-3s behind a snowbank there at CMX, couldn't see another plane in the photo behind another snowbank.  (Good ole days)

best, randy

Down here in North Texas it has been in the 30's F for the past several days. Dry, no ice or snow. Expected to dip a little colder later next week, still dry.

Coldest dip has been  around +20F in 24 hours.

Did bring in the rosemary bush to protect it from the cold and put out some more feed for the wild critters we feed.

3 hours ago, bob_carr said:

7-below here this morning, and Houghton looks to be the warm spot in the Upper Peninsula.  Lake effect snow is over for a day or two.  It's been 24-7 snow for the past week.

So far no freeze-ups or hard starting,  just cold fingers and lots of snow to move.

Yea we got a little of that lake effect to go with the -32

http://www.wwnytv.com/story/37148363/woman-rescued-from-snow-buried-home

http://www.syracuse.com/weather/index.ssf/2017/12/62_inches_redfield_breaks_48-hour_oswego_county_snow_record.html

Which begs the question I ask myself numerous times a winter, why do I live here? Then spring comes and I remember.

crop farming would be really good now I will agree that cows and cold weather makes things a lot harder to get done. what does the average crop farmer do now? part time job?

What is it about being out in the cold all day and coming inside at the end of the day?  Dynomite wouldn't keep me awake once I warm up. I can snore so loud everyone else leaves the house. LOL

Well got done at the sawmill around lunch, I was real brave didn't get in the truck to warm up once. Spent the rest of the day in the shop working on a cattle guard for son #2.

14 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Sun is heading into a slow, colder solar cycle. Order your 90 day rm corn boys, mini ice age coming!

Could be.  What I've read about it has made some sense.

It's been so cold up here that the North and South poles are both warmer.........

You'd wonder where the cold comes from anyway! If you find a hole up in Canada where it's coming from, put a plug in it will YA !

the storm just came in off the big lake visibility about 50'

finally closed on our farmstead today and now have another drive way to find [30'' deep]

I hope the temps ease up so we can work outside 

Mike