Sign in to follow this  
Jordy2012

Super M ignition points

I have a Super M that I have had 3 sets of points fail in the last month. They are cracking on the fiber contact and then just bending as the cam lobe rotates so the points don't open. There is some side to side play on the shaft. Is this just a result of bad points or from the slop in the shaft and should I rebuild or replace the distributor.

Buy an electronic igntion kit from pertronix and be done with it. Easy to install,uses the stock distributer and makes the tractor twice as reliable and smooth. Put the pertronix coil on it too. You can find these on yesterdays tractors,steiners and multiple other places like ebay and amazon. Modern points stink period.

Thus far have never had points trouble with my 400. Agree probably getting harder to find quality points tho. I put a set in probably 4 or 5 years ago......

I've had the same problem ... had condensers and coils bad right out of the box too

BTDT,  an  electronic ignition  & high performance coil will solve your problem plus your plugs will last a lot longer. Have converted a SMTA, SM, &a M as well as our old Toyota fork truck. Fork truck would burn out a set of points & a condensor plus foul out the plugs in 3 days. Put an electronic ignition in it 4-5 years ago. Still on the same set of plugs but in at the same time plus starts a lot easier.

If I would convert  it to electronic ignition can it be done without replacing the whole distributor, just replace the points and condenser with the $100 kit that is sold. Also will the play in the shaft have any effect on the conversion

If its got a lot of play in shaft thats not gonna be good no matter wether points or elctronic imo.

1st Pertronix, then call Brillman and get a brass distributor cap from him, lastly you will wonder why you didn't do this year's ago.

Are you putting lube on the rubbing block? Points used to come with a little tube of lube but it has been years since I have seen any new ones that come with it now.

On 12/28/2017 at 9:30 AM, superih said:

1st Pertronix, then call Brillman and get a brass distributor cap from him, lastly you will wonder why you didn't do this year's ago.

Is the whole distributor cap machined brass/bronze or just the contacts molded into the cap?   I checked their website, They handle Everything!  Looks like contacts molded in are brass.  Been a while since I saw a dist. cap with brass contacts. Everything is aluminum now days.

Companies I've dealt with have machines that could machine an entire distributor cap from brass barstock in a couple minutes.  CNC technology just kicks butt today!  But a solid brass dist cap would cost 200-300 Bucks! Take a BIG chunk of brass to make one, lots of chips to recycle.

So what caused ? And how did the phenolic plastic lifter on the points breaking get corrected ? 

3 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Is the whole distributor cap machined brass/bronze or just the contacts molded into the cap?   I checked their website, They handle Everything!  Looks like contacts molded in are brass.  Been a while since I saw a dist. cap with brass contacts. Everything is aluminum now days.

Companies I've dealt with have machines that could machine an entire distributor cap from brass barstock in a couple minutes.  CNC technology just kicks butt today!  But a solid brass dist cap would cost 200-300 Bucks! Take a BIG chunk of brass to make one, lots of chips to recycle.

Ya and it would make a great paper weight ,but actual functioning dist cap, not so much.

Get the original points working if at all possible. New ones are garbage. And yes, electronic is the way to go.

9 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Lol, just the contacts, and they fit tight just like the originals, very nice cap

Go to Napa and get Echlin tune up parts! Have had excellent results with them. Their caps have brass contacts in them I believe.

I ended up having the distributor rebuilt, looks like the shaft was the only part that got replaced, there is no play in it anymore and it seems to have solved the problem

3 minutes ago, Jordy2012 said:

I ended up having the distributor rebuilt, looks like the shaft was the only part that got replaced, there is no play in it anymore and it seems to have solved the problem

Thanks , interesting