Sign in to follow this  
russ_alabama

M or SM, based on ID plate

Strange it does look like a band brake hand clutch setup with cover bolted straight to transmission housing and top cover without the disc brake type adapter plate for cover  mounting .  Disc brake side doesn't appear to have the holes to mount brake cover or the inboard big hole for the brake operating shaft in cover. Someone went to the trouble to drill and tap for mounting the unit on the left unless left was drilled and right not unless I'm missing something. First one seen like that by me.  last 3 engine serial numbers are the same as last 3 on tractor 99.9% of time for when that tractor was built.

So about almost 4000 ms with disc from factory and only about 300 H s. Will have to pay attention to them next time I see them. And the Ms I have seen were real not after market so I always thought they made a bunch of them.

1 hour ago, DWV said:

Strange it does look like a band brake hand clutch setup with cover bolted straight to transmission housing and top cover without the disc brake type adapter plate for cover  mounting .  Disc brake side doesn't appear to have the holes to mount brake cover or the inboard big hole for the brake operating shaft in cover. Someone went to the trouble to drill and tap for mounting the unit on the left unless left was drilled and right not unless I'm missing something. First one seen like that by me.  last 3 engine serial numbers are the same as last 3 on tractor 99.9% of time for when that tractor was built.

yeah, don't know... i doubt dad would have done a drill and tap install himself... so, not sure... could have had it done, but i just don't remember the who-done-it details... ... i was pretty sure that it was done after the purchase, but now i wouldn't be shocked if i was wrong and it was a dealer addition... just sticks in memory that dad referred to it as something he'd added... you guys know better than me what's plausible, tho'... 

2 hours ago, DWV said:

Sure looks  strange to me. I have had both and they are quite different in mounting to the tractor.

I wonder how the all the internals fit up let alone trying to get that cover aligned and properly drilled.

I have never seen that style M&W on a super so it will be interesting to see the internals when that cover is removed.

3 hours ago, kevinj said:

Sure looks  strange to me. I have had both and they are quite different in mounting to the tractor.

I wonder how the all the internals fit up let alone trying to get that cover aligned and properly drilled.

I have never seen that style M&W on a super so it will be interesting to see the internals when that cover is removed.

eventually, i'll have to take it apart to clean, as that boot let water in... it doesn't actuate since i got it back and the regular clutch works like it should... could have been that way a while, but don't know... could be only since the 2nd owner had the stroke, when it sat out for two years... the old mechanic down the street that worked on IH stuff for the public (when not in the cotton field) went thru all the details and motions of disassembly and getting it right again, saying he'd worked on a bunch of them (mostly hay guys locally had that added, so i'm not sure why Pop did, other than for the arbor saw)... the mechanic, he's in his 80s and in good health and great mind... he could have been the one to install it, but he didn't say so when he came by after i bought the tractor back... might be interesting to get his take on it.  might be some local guy other than him that did those odd installs that you guys are saying ain't the norm, without the adapter plate.  we're apt to do unconventional things in bama... peanuts in cokes, chocolate gravy, etc... 

There is a guy on ebay selling the leather boot.

1 hour ago, kevinj said:

There is a guy on ebay selling the leather boot.

Thanks!  I'll get one while I can.  If I were an optimist at my age, I'd get a spare. :)

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 8:37 PM, kossuth said:

It's very likely.  In fact I wouldn't be a lick surprised if the original dealer put a oversize kit in it when they got it and put the Super emblems on themselves.  If you could find the original sales paperwork that would be really neat to know.  I could see a dealership doing something like that though particularly on a new obsolete tractor

I find it hard to believe a dealer would overhaul a brand new tractor plus I don't think IH released the Thin wall sleeves and pistons for the  Hs and Ms until the late 50s the earliest letter I can find on them is dated 1962 but I think they we out before that

17 hours ago, russ_alabama said:

Thanks!  I'll get one while I can.  If I were an optimist at my age, I'd get a spare. :)

That would be a good idea, not sure when I will have more made up.

Sales have been slow this winter.

happened to think of pop's need case on the m&w... he had a model 66 allis combine that he used most every year until about when i came along... was like this one (still had it in the shed, but not being used when i was a little kid):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-6mv4ESRj8  ... got a moline for a year, and then bought a neighbor-traded-in '65 E Gleaner at the dealer... but the pull type combine would have been the dominant case for wanting the m&w, i'd guess... said it did a great job, but was just slow with that small a header.  was a sack-grain type (no bin) until pop's brother told him he could have the bin off his scrapped allis 66 (hauled back from faunsdale, al in a pickup)... we used the E from about '72 till about '92 or so... was a great operating machine and did a nice job on beans...