Mike56073

5488 MFWD axle slop

Ok first of all merry Christmas everyone!

working on the 5488 today, thought I'd see how much slop is in the axle bolster.  I've got .045 up/down play in the front,  and just .002 in the back.  What should I do?  I have a blue ribbon service manual, but it has little information on MFWD.  I'm assuming there's a bushing that's bad, how hard is it to replace?

IMG_0598.JPG

IMG_0599.JPG

IMG_0597.JPG

Seems abit much. I'e got a narrow feeler gauge I check them with.  They normally have around .010. The Lull 844 tellahandler used this same basic axle. The axle bushing is a straight forward repair 

Drop the axle out by removing the four big bolts that hold the axle to the bolster.  The bushings are available.  Just redid my MFD.  Make sure the pivot on the axle itself is not worn down and needs reworked.

Matt

Took the lower front cap off and jacked it up today, and this is what I found:  the axle itself is perfect, the problem is that the bolster is worn. A lot.  The previous owner actually took part of a second bushing half and JB Welded it into the bolster.  Problem is that it still was sloppy, and when I took it apart the JB weld was loose.  So now I have some questions:  what are my options?  Replace the bolster, or have some machine work done to it?  I was expecting just a bad bushing, and my heart skipped a few beats when I figured out what I was seeing!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

There are people that can weld that up and bore it back to original.   Some guys are mobile.    Search Minneapolis craiglist for line boring.   He is one.  Caterpillar in Bloomington should be able to as well.   

Nate

I would do both, fix the one you have if reasonably priced and keep your eyes open for a scrap tractor with a good bolster.   Looks like someone forgot to grease the front end and just let it go to no end,  I am sure it got to point were the drive shaft was in a bind a they decided to take a look at it.

20 hours ago, nate said:

There are people that can weld that up and bore it back to original.   Some guys are mobile.    Search Minneapolis craiglist for line boring.   He is one.  Caterpillar in Bloomington should be able to as well.   

Nate

Thanks, Nate.  I've got a fellow from St Paul working on a quote right now.  He didn't seem too concerned after I sent him pictures, he said he does construction equipment all the time, and this shouldn't be any different.

Hope all goes well and you don't fall over when you get the quote!   It will be good as new then.  And the good care you give your equipment it will last forever.  

Nate

Well that sucks. Hope you can get it fixed without to much $.  Makes me think I might check mine. Feeler gage told me I was ok. But I just got my fwd 5488 and I don' know how well it was greased before me.

It just keeps getting better.  Dropped the front axle out tonight, and found a strip of rubber between the rear bearing cap and the bearing!  The rear trunnion is junk, it's got grooves over .030 deep in it.  Talked the guy that's going to rework the trunnion bores, and he's going to build the trunnion back up and machine it.  Even that wouldn't have been so bad, but the rear trunnion has the ring and pinion attached to it as well. As of tonight I'm officially out of beer in the shop.....

if anyone has the specs for the front diff, I'd appreciate it!  I need the bearing preload specs for used bearings(side bearings and pinion bearings, and the backlash specs.  Thanks!

IMG_0618.JPG

IMG_0620.JPG

IMG_0621.JPG

IMG_0607.JPG

IMG_0617.JPG

IMG_0619.JPG

IMG_0621.JPG

Had the guy come today and line bore the bushing hole for the front trunnion.  Pretty neat, and actually a fairly simple setup.  He took measurements after he got done, and is going to make a sleeve to fit into the upper half of the hole.  He machined in a step on the front and back of the bore, and will make the sleeve to look like a crankshaft thrust bearing so it can't move forwards or backwards.  Once the sleeve is in place the factory bushing halves will fit in as normal.  He also took the rear trunnion along to fill in and machine.

IMG_0631.JPG

IMG_0632.JPG

IMG_0634.JPG

IMG_0635.JPG

IMG_0637.JPG

IMG_0638.JPG

IMG_0633.JPG

IMG_0636.JPG

That's a great setup,. I bet there will be others wanting to know the details and who to call.  I am sure there's alot of 50 series MFDs out there that have alot of wobble issues.

Excellent topic for the repairs...

Matt

SHE WILL BE GOOD FOR ANOTHER 30 YEARS...

We have to get our MX 270 line bored up front. We had problems with the pin walking out last year and found out that the PO put new bushings in the egg shaped hole....

Got the parts back today from the machinist. So far it all looks good, but I'm holding my breath till it's all back together.

The rear trunnion now looks real nice, he ended up machining it true, and then making a press fit sleeve for it.  I spent today putting the differential back together and installing it in the axle.  For the record, the differential in these is a Dana 70, with a 4:10 ratio. Pretty easy to setup if you've done differentials in the past.  Set this one up with new side bearings, .008" backlash, and  a total bearing preload of 33 in lb.(24 on pinion, 9 on the sides).

Hopefully I'll have time to install it tomorrow 

For those of you that have one of these front axles:  mine was missing the breather on top, the hole was totally plugged with crap and was invisible even after I wire wheeled the axle.I didn't even know it was supposed to be there until I looked closely at the parts diagram.  Just an FYI

IMG_0651.JPG

IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0653.JPG

IMG_0654.JPG

Looks like a brand new axle,. Let us know how it fits when you get it installed.