Sign in to follow this  
Adam - NC

Farmall 240 Fix Up

We backed the 240 into the corner of the shop yesterday to start the clean up and repair process. The list so far - 

Rebuild carb, fix manifold outlet pipe, new radiator hoses, fix starter, new temp gauge, new oil gauge, drain / flush / fill cooling system, change oil & filter, drain and refill hydraulics and rear end, find a fast hitch drawbar, rewire / add lights / maybe get charging system working, find replacement side panels, replace bushing in steering column... probably a few other things I'm missing

What's your favorite supplier for gauges and carb kits?  I may also be looking for a replacement fuel guage sending unit.  If I decide to switch to 12V with an alternator, can I get a compatible sending unit and fuel gauge?

IMG_1762.JPG

IMG_1763.JPG

IMG_1765.JPG

Adam, great project.  Here are the ones I use the most.  Not in any particular order.  I usually check price and availability and try to combine shipping.

Pilot Knob Restorations, Steiner Tractor, Yesterday Tractor.  And I know there are others.  I've been satisfied with the above.  They all Have online catalogs.  Pilot Knob is order by phone.  Have fun

Dennis

We've piddle at this a little bit over Christmas break.  Today I wanted to get the steering shaft out of the column, so I could figure out what to do to take the wobble out of it.  I want to get as much slop as I can out of the steering.

Step 1, break a tap off in the puller hole in the steering wheel hub.  The steering wheel is fairly nice, don't want to ruin it.  I took the shaft loose at the u-joint below the dash and got it apart from below.  I guess I'll leave the broken tap in the hole and hope I never have to pull the wheel again.

I decided to drain the antifreeze.  Finally got the drain tube between the front wheels flowing.  The block drain was broken off flush, so I decided to teach my son how to deal with broken bolts.  I drilled a 1/4" hole into the plug and showed him how to break off a bolt extractor.  Then I showed him how to drill tiny holes around the broken extractor and finally wiggle it out.

I got the drain plug drilled out to 1/2", still have a little bit of it to get out of the threads some how.  After rinsing everything off with brake cleaner, I decided to try to heat the remaining metal from the drain plug with a micro torch (butane soldiering iron).  Imagine my surprise when the brake clean floating on the water left in the block ignited.  My son was stoked that he got to use a fire extinguisher on the burning brake cleaner on the lid of the bucket I had drained the antifreeze in.  I was able to blow out the fire running down the block, but the lid of the bucket was too wide to blow it out.

All in all, a normal day in the shop, right?

21612234-6EB7-4187-BBB5-F20FD15A8FA3.jpeg

50C67795-9296-47BA-8340-231F2E5748B0.jpeg

9F4A856A-911E-4C34-9385-0D3A3047F4B7.jpeg

Yup, normall shop day.....Sorry about the bad luck.

I had to weld an Allen wrench into a plug the other day after rounding off two Allen wrenches and the hole with no movement.  It was nice when I finally "won".  The little things take the most time it seems. 

Be careful with that brake cleaner. It doesn’t mix well with fire.

Wonder why easy outs are called easy outs?  In my experience, they are not easy and seldom result in getting anything out...  but today we had success!

I had gotten as far as I could on the block drain, so I picked up a 3/8 pipe tap today.  I stuck a 9/16 bit In the hole and tried to turn it with a wrench.  Once it bit into the remains of the plug fairly well, the plug started to turn further into the hole.  I got my largest easy out and backed the remains of the plug right out.  I chased the threads with the new tap, and I believe that little problem is taken care of.  I’ll run water through to flush out the shavings when it warms up outside, and be one step closer to putting it all back together.

9AAA7CAD-37EE-48FE-9131-E84CE216B602.jpeg

Tried to fix the threads in the neck of the manifold tonight.  Haven't been able to find a 1-1/2" NPT tap to borrow, so I tried making a thread chaser out of a fitting, and tapering off the threads on a piece of pipe.  No luck.  Then I noticed daylight through the bottom of the manifold.  There is at least one pin hole in the exhaust passages, so I suppose I'll be pulling the manifold off tomorrow to see how bad it is.  I've got a neighbor that's pretty handy with a torch and brazing rod, maybe it is patchable...

C8495997-A84E-4596-B745-4421D517B7C2.jpeg

EF2BADBB-C6AF-4EA5-A26B-51CFBF9C5962.jpeg

E968DECF-EEAF-4A68-B251-3749E480810D.jpeg

those threads will clean up nicely if you sandblast them. not sure about the brazing though

On 1/1/2018 at 6:49 AM, TN Hillbilly said:

Be careful with that brake cleaner. It doesn’t mix well with fire.

Brake Cleaner is very dangerous when exposed to heat Phosgene will kill you

Picture

I have tried tapping those manifolds, no luck at all! All those years of exhaust blasting out have hardened the cast so a tap won't touch it,

3 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

Brake Cleaner is very dangerous when exposed to heat Phosgene will kill you

Picture

Yikes!  Thanks for the reminder.