Sign in to follow this  
lance358436

1066 Christmas cheer

Engine was the only thing I didn't touch 

New TA,clutch, pto,brakes,axle bearings on elect side,  plus a lot of litle things to make a perfect restore other then aftermarket fenders not my call.

20170629_001707.jpg

20170701_024235.jpg

Looks nice!    Looks like you had a good one to start with. 

Nate

Nice job! The as found condition cosmetically would be look like a new one compared to all mine! :lol:

Merry Christmas all!!

Looks very nice!

Thanks.  It was painted with single stage urethane.  Over 300 hours in it.  That is not the straight forward mechanical mentioned before.  

20170707_173632.jpg

Merry X-Mass,  Thats a pretty looking 1066 that's for sure.

Great detail.

looks good.  kinda wish it was still t shirt weather around here

BOY,  you pressure washed that front axle casting right down to the sealer!  That casting was poured at the Memphis Foundry and they sealed everything yellow.  

Must be your baling tractor, I like the IH mudflap under the rearend to keep hay from balling up and dragging!

Nice looking tractor!

9 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

BOY,  you pressure washed that front axle casting right down to the sealer!  That casting was poured at the Memphis Foundry and they sealed everything yellow.  

Must be your baling tractor, I like the IH mudflap under the rearend to keep hay from balling up and dragging!

Nice looking tractor!

I use paint stripper and then powerwash, blow dry with air. repreat, like a whole day on the chassis. The mud flap is just for looks :) found it in my grandpa's stuff after he passed years ago.  This tractor was for a customer and the IH mud flap is a badge of honor if you get to have it for a bit lol 

And the paint stripper leaves an even surface for primer? Or do you sand blast after that? Forgive my ignorance. I thought that looked like sand blasting.  Interested in the urethane too.  I have not painted in years, but we use to use primer sealer then enamel and a shot of clear.  I want to get back into it someday.  

Yes. Its in the same basic condition as the factory as I only removed the paint and grease,oil. My primers are different from the chassis to Tin work. We will do some hand sanding on things like the frame rails.  

I will not sand blast Tin work or the chassis. Did it never again u cannot get all of the sand out period.  

Paint is a single stage acrylic urethane it has a clear coat built in it. Easy to paint holds up way better.

I will not sandblast either.    But I use to go through a lot of 3m scotchbrite pads, on the cast parts, after steam cleaning.  Body sander on the flat parts and sheet metal. I'll look into that paint.  Wasn't aware of it. Thanks 

I too thought you were sand blasting what kind of paint stripper? the 350 I painted the chassis on used a real strong degreaser and kept pressure washing, sand blasting makes me nervous neighbor did his 2020 jd and had to fix a lot of oil leaks later on. looks very nice.

Dad had a paint shop repaint his 450 years ago. Summers they sand blasted and repainted bridges and overpasses on Interstate hiways. Winters they did whatever work came thru the door. Took a trip or two back to town to the IH dealer to get things straightened out with the tractor, hydraulics, pto, etc.  It was a Five Foot paint job too.  Get any closer than that you could see all the sand left on the sheet metal and painted over.  That may be the way bridges get painted but not cars, trucks, tractors!

The best paint job was by the FFA guys at the local high school. They did the M's second repaint.They did good work, masked things off,  did detail work like on the Farmall hood ornament.

On 12/25/2017 at 8:39 PM, pt756 said:

I too thought you were sand blasting what kind of paint stripper? the 350 I painted the chassis on used a real strong degreaser and kept pressure washing, sand blasting makes me nervous neighbor did his 2020 jd and had to fix a lot of oil leaks later on. looks very nice.

It just paint stripper u can get it at most any auto parts place. I try different ones some work better then others. Last ones I got from O reilys. 

On 12/25/2017 at 5:16 PM, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Nice looking tractor!

Thanks for you knowledge I wondered about some of the primers I've striped on the tractors I've done.  We found white paint marking that had the date I should have taken a picture 

6 hours ago, lance358436 said:

Thanks for you knowledge I wondered about some of the primers I've striped on the tractors I've done.  We found white paint marking that had the date I should have taken a picture 

Was that on a casting or a piece of sheet metal.  My first guess would be a casting, otherwise the painters would have removed it before painting.  The tractor chassis was in about the same condition as your first two pictures when it went thru the paint booth on the Start assembly line.  The radiator was installed and cast rear wheels were not.  The assembled tires, rims, and wheels were about the last pieces installed on the finish line before the tractor was started and driven outside.  Right out of the paint booth the batteries were installed, coolant, oils, and a little fuel was added and the tractor was started for the first time, run tests of clutch, transmission, TA, pto, brakes,  3-pt, and steering done.  

My first job at Farmall, washing machined frt axle castings, extensions, steering cylinders and assembling the axles was right next to the paint booth, just on the other side of a corrigated steel wall. I never once smelled a wiff of paint fumes.  Good thing too, the welding booths for the spindles and extensions were only a few feet away.  They had a waterfall, huge vent fans took all the fumes up and outside the building.  All the sheetmetal was caustic hot water washed and rinsed, dried, and sprayed on traveling suspended racks. Stuff like Gold Demo tractors,  yellow construction or Chisholm-Ryder or Barber-Green tractors had all their sheet metal sprayed in a batch.  Even the white side panels had to be run in big separate batches. That's why IH kept going back to all red paint schemes. Changing paint colors was a pain.  1206's must have been a real pain to paint. The frt wheels came white from the supplier, rear cast wheels were painted on a different separate paint line after all the red.  But the front cast grill surround had to be painted separate from the tractor.  I think there was SIX separate paint lines at Farmall.   With all the 325 gallon totes of paint, and the 55 gallon drums, and 5 gallon pails we got in every week We pretty well used a full 20+ ft tandem axle straight-truck full of paint every week. The sales engineer from Moline Paint Mfg. came in every week for 2-3 hours and talked to everyone involved with paint, and gave me the list of paint the Foreman wanted me to order.

I always figured the cast nose was painted on the tractor? With all the red around everything. 

The date was on a casting  I can' think where I'll ask my brother he was one that help me