Sign in to follow this  
Firehorse Mike

Load star 1600 fire truck brake problems

Welcome aboard Firehorse ,  What a nice looking truck !!   It might take a little internet searching and a few phone calls

but you should be able to find/have rebuilt  most any/all parts needed .IH made a pantload of these trucks ,

Post up when you get into the job ,I can get you more specific info .

Mike,  Let me ask a few questions.  Did the truck have brakes when you bought it?  Have you worked on the brakes?  If, so, what have you done to them?  Reason I ask is you may not need a new hydravac.

1 hour ago, High Binder said:

Mike,  Let me ask a few questions.  Did the truck have brakes when you bought it?  Have you worked on the brakes?  If, so, what have you done to them?  Reason I ask is you may not need a new hydravac.

My thoughts exactly why do you need a hydovac I personally think a lot of them that are replaced didn't need it and it didn't solve the problem. By the way a very nice truck

I didn’t buy it yet, the current owner said he thinks it will need the hydravac. He did brake work replaced and rebuilt wheel cylinders and I if I remember correctly I think he said the master cylinder was rebuilt. 

He told me at the firehouse the other night he’s selling it this spring...he said one way or another it’s gone this spring and offered me first rights to buy it.

just doing some research ahead of time

As R190 said,  many are replaced needlessly.   I've replaced a couple, probably not necessary, and it isn't a big deal.  The remand's I've seen may run $200-250.   The problems people have with the hydravac is they don't bleed them properly and in the right sequence.  The one's on my trucks have two bleeder valves.  You have to fill the master cylinder,  make sure you are getting a pedal, then bleed the front valve on the hydravac first, then the rear one.  Most of the time the valve's are on top of the hydravac and maybe covered with dirt or grease making them hard to see.  Then go to the rear wheel cylinders and then the front cylinders.  You may have to do it two or three times over a two or three day period to get all the air out of the system.  The last service manual I looked at also said to bleed the system with the engine NOT running.   I had no brakes on one of my trucks last fall.  I told the boys how to bleed the system. No brakes.  I went out and baby sit them while they did it again.  Some brakes.  Went back a couple of days later, baby sit again, and wow, the brakes will throw you thru the windshield.  Hope this helps.  Good luck.  That's a nice looking truck. 

3 hours ago, High Binder said:

I told the boys how to bleed the system. No brakes.  I went out and baby sit them while they did it again.  Some brakes.  Went back a couple of days later, baby sit again, and wow, the brakes will throw you thru the windshield.  Hope this helps

Great statement on bleeding , used to work on a fleet of Dodge plow tucks with similar brake bleeding habits,

We used to put the front end up on the lift about 3-4ft up ,just to get the hydraulic clutch master cylinder bled out,

Then we got a top shelf power bleeder with all the doo dad adapters (boy was that nice) until someone put soap in it :(

Does that truck have two separate brake systems? My '68 Loadstar 1800 has two boosters, and two wheel cylinders on each wheel. 

On 12/23/2017 at 12:38 PM, Firehorse Mike said:

Looking to buy this fire truck, it needs brake work . Any thoughts on how hard it is to find a hydravac? And his hard is it to switch out?

E1BE15A4-73DF-43CD-933C-60FD0DC61192.jpeg

hi,

Nice truck ....

I was looking for an ordinary 3/8 brake/clutch line. Went to two different auto parts stores. Second store, Autozone, insisted on looking it up by application rather than matching it. That was the second time I've been asked "who makes International" by an auto parts store. Of course no luck. His computer showed everything Loadstar related as NLA. 

I then went to a place called Valley Friction Materials. No computers! They had 6 feet of catalogs on one counter, two feet of double stacked catalogs on another part of the counter. And four shelves of catalogs I could see behind the counter. On one of the parts shelf ends they had every size wheel bearing nut socket displayed - from small ones to the extremely large 8 point wheel bearing sockets used on semi's or large construction equipment. Of course they had the brake line. 

Turns out later I also needed the clutch master cylinder. They had it in stock. (For my Loadstar it's different from the clutch master cylinders used in Scouts and pickups). I asked them how long it would take to order a hydrovac if my truck should need it. He had those in stock too. He brought one from the back room and said this is the one my International should have. And it looked just like mine. Of course they also reline shoes and make hydraulic lines. They have everything brake related - just thought I'd share a good  brake parts store when I find one.  

Valley Friction Materials
11817 Sherman Way
North Hollywood, California 91605
818-765-5174

Dave, I don't know about the late 60's Loadstars.  All my trucks from 53-65 with juice brakes have a hydravac and two wheel cylinders per wheel.   Could you have a brake booster and a clutch booster rather than 2 Hydravacs?  I've never heard of an IH having 2 Hydravacs.

On a side note, the last time, which was my first and last, I went to Auto Zone,  I went thru the front door with a light bulb in hand.  A lady said "Can I help you"?  I said, "Can you point me to the light bulbs?" (holding the light bulb up for her to see)  She said, "What does it fit?"  I said, "It doesn't matter, I have what I need".  She said "But what's it fit"?  I said, " It won't be in you computer."  Hitting my last nerve, she said, "I have to look it up to know if it's what you need".    I said "What I need is for someone to tell me where the f*****g light bulbs are."   She yelled at some fellow and told him to show me where the light bulbs were.  When I went to pay, she walked away and some fellow had to come out of the back to take my money. 

All good info I do believe he said two wheel cylinders per wheel.

i try the bleeding sequence before I drop any cash on parts.

ill keep everyone posted on this truck if I am lucky enough to purchase it.

On 12/27/2017 at 4:26 PM, High Binder said:

Dave, I don't know about the late 60's Loadstars.  All my trucks from 53-65 with juice brakes have a hydravac and two wheel cylinders per wheel.   Could you have a brake booster and a clutch booster rather than 2 Hydravacs?  I've never heard of an IH having 2 Hydravacs. 

. . . 

One time a couple years ago I saw an early '60's Loadstar 1600 short school bus have two hydravacs, but that is the only time I ever saw two on one truck.  I tried to buy the bus but didn't have enough money at the time.