alourinho

IH 684 D239 injector rings?

Hi,

After having noticed the IH 684 was heating up and having water in oil, I removed the engine head and replaced the head gasket - the problem was really not the gasket but one of the head's expansion seals.

Anyway, I'm in the process of putting the injector nozzles back in the head. To do all this i bought an engine head gasket set which includes a set of rings.

As the nozzles were not removed by me (it was done in a shop which tested and faced the engine head) I'm uncertain which of the engine head gasket kit rings should be used in the injector nozzles...

I have attached an image of the injector nozzles and another with the rings included in the gasket set.

Would you guys be able to indicate where each of these rings should be used? And if any should be used in the injector nozzles?

Thanks a lot for your help,
Antonio Lourinho

image.jpg

image.jpg

the big black orings you have look like the ones that go on the injector body for dust seals. The return line banjo fittings will take two copper washers each, and looks like you have the 8 of them. I don't know what the other 3 style washers are for though.

3 hours ago, alourinho said:

Is it supposed for any rings to be put at the bottom end of the injector nozzles inside the liners?

no nothing is used at the bottom they are a taper seal injector to injector sleeve.

Well, installed the injector nozzles and used the tractor for a while.

Sounds and worked good. But when I stopped It I noticed that two of the injector nozzles were wet with diesel near the dust seal rings. The injector nozzles clamps were torqued according to manual.

as such I have two questions:

1) could these small leaks mean that the sleeves and injector nozzles should be replaced?

2) I read somewhere that the injectors should be installed in such a way as to have the return line screws face the rocker cover - when I bought the tractor these were facing the left out side of the tractor - as such I reinstalled the injectors in this same way - can any of you confirm how the injectors should be installed?

thanks in advance.

I would bet orings around cylinder sleeves are causing the water in the oil problem. As for injectors all I have seen the line faces valvecover. I always try to replace injector sleeves when have injectors out sometimes they can be a bear to reseal. May be able to remove injector and use tool to "reform" sealing surface 

Thanks for the feedback - I'm going to replace the sleeves - I thought that it wouldn't such a big problem to take the injectors out and back in again.

about the water in oil problem - when I took out the oil sump out i saw that the water was coming out from the  engine block lateral oil holes. From this I figured that it had to be from 1) a severe engine block crack as the water flow was high 2) head gasket or 3) cracked head

i took the head to a shop which pressure tested, refaced and did the valves. The test result was ok, they found holed expansion seals and corrected the seals.

I replaced the head gasket - seemed too be too glued to the engine block to be in a healthy state.

Reassembled the whole thing and no more water in oil. 

As such, I don't believe the water in oil was due to the cylinder sleeves.

To remove injector sleeves drain coolant shove some rag in bottom of sleeve and thread a 7/8" bolt into sleeve can either pry it out or use a slide hammer. I alway put some locative around new sleeve when installing, right or wrong, never had one leak. If google part number can find them cheaper than case ih. Need correct tool to install them, can use injector as template if have a lathe to turn one. Not sure wager u at but have one u could borrow if u willing to pay shipping both ways.