Sign in to follow this  
fudwayne

1282 engine vibrates

Have a 1282 cadet that vibrates and rattles everything. It is the worst above half throttle. Has new motor mounts & drive shaft is good shape. Any ideas?

Assuming the stock engine is still in place 12 hp Kohler single cylinder K-301,,  it should have balance gears inside the crankcase.  I've had experience with that engine, ran one for 15 years.  Most of those years without the balance gears.  When I first got the Cub Cadet the flywheel was missing most of five fins in a row out of twelve, way out of balance!  The engine vibrated enough to crack sheetmetal, wallowed out all 4 tapped mounting holes in the aluminum oil pan.  I Helicoiled all 4 mounting holes, replaced the flywheel with a good used flywheel.  Make sure the driveshaft is straight and secure in the mounts on both ends. The rag joints in that vintage CC have a bad reputation.  There is a balancing system available from Kirk Engines, Inc via his website, only $20, and really smooths out these engines running without balance gears.  I had him balance my 14 hp K-321 about 15-16 years ago.  My balanced 14 hp runs smoother than my stock 10 hp ever did.

Make sure there are no rotating parts that are out of balance, like the pto clutch, drive pulleys, drive shaft drive hubs.