Sign in to follow this  
Red Flyer

Set the parking brake on the MD for the last time

IMG_0549.thumb.JPG.250ed5e8108a15f8ec99e81ae2dee7f1.JPG

image002.jpg.92cf5c6842caaa7df46ab24e336d5f8f.jpg

After 30 years 8 months 18 days at Flying Tigers and Fedex Express , 26 plus years on the MD-11 I made my last landing  at Anchorage Alaska on December 12, 2017.    I am looking forward to getting started on my post retirement to do list.      

1.Spend more time with wife of 35 years who kept the household running while I was jetting around the world.

2.Attend my 2nd Red Power Roundup.

3.Attend that Antique Ag show in California that is under new management.

4.Get my 1206 before I turn 72 (I am 60 now)

5.Get my M&W dyno up to speed so I can get my tractor collection up to speed.

6.Convince Brady Boy to stop in Missoula  MT long enough to have breakfast lunch or dinner with me. (my treat).

7.Visit all the museums listed in Harvester Highlights.

8.Attend the HCOP.

And many more.

IMG_0547.thumb.JPG.ce52c921336168a9ae6c1d98d5e40baf.JPG

IMG_0536.JPG

Congratulations, get the 1206 and keep busy with hobbies. I work in a 2 man flight department. When the other guy is on vacation, the contract pilots we use are 71 and 75 year old retired airline guys. They have no hobbies so they keep working. Enjoy, Jim. 

Congratulations on retirement, something I look forward to but don't know if I'll be able to slow down, always have to be doing something.

I'm sure it was a bittersweet moment. Congratulations on a long career in the air, 

Congrats on your retirement!  Now you can get behind the wheel of something a little slower and with a manual transmission......:)

Congratulations. Get that 12 and stay busy. 

Congrats, from another montananan. Enjoy,retirement....

Congratulations on a long and successful career flying. HCOP in 2019 is a must do. You'll love it. Lots of great people, machinery and field demonstrations.

Congrats!!!!

Got a question?? While traveling via MAC I flew Flying Tigers. While not as bad as Arrow Air I had the distinct impression that the plane wasn't as well kept as North West, Delta or TWA. Am I in the ballpark or was the general appearance misleading? Not a ding against anyone....more of a cheapest bidder on a government contract thing.

Rick

I was only at Tigers for two years before Fedex bought the airline for their international freight routes. Only 2 airplanes were used for MAC charters and I was never a part of that.

Arlin

Nice "to do" list, mirrors mine almost exactly, except the "my m&w dyno" part, my list will have to say "obtain an m&w dyno"! :)

Congratulations! Enjoy! You have a great to-do-list. If you ever find yourself near NWOH let me know.

Congratulations on retirement. Now you can be like Tony. Busier than when you were working.

Congratulations on a long and distinguished career and enjoy your upcoming retirement!!~

Red Flyer - like he'd said, now you're gonna be busier than ever, or at least I've been.  Also bet'cha that many on here took that MD for M Diesel instead of the MD-11.

best, randy

I know I did. I was scrolling through the pics looking for a red tractor. Not to fond of those flying things

Randy

You are absolutely correct, I figured that I needed a good hook so readers would actually click on the post.

Arlin

7 hours ago, Red Flyer said:

Randy

You are absolutely correct, I figured that I needed a good hook so readers would actually click on the post.

Arlin

Yup, you got me. lol, congratulations and enjoy!!

Have fun. I am 62 i retired in 04 and it has been great. I started young, and retired young from the County.

Thanks for the all the comments

Arlin

Congrats on the retirement! But, holy b@lls, that's a sh!tload of buttons in there! And I get worried I can't figure out some old piece of crap with a few levers and knobs!

On 12/14/2017 at 9:25 PM, Red Flyer said:

I figured

They tell me that now they can go till age 65.  As the locals up here are wont to say - "Uff-dah".

Best, Randy

Yep, got me too.  Thought it was about a gas start diesel row crop tractor. ^_^

Congrats on retirement.  At the age I'm at I have to work more years than I've been alive to make retirement age.  (I think).  I like those FedEx planes- living close to DTW it's one of the airlines I can make out on the fuselage and the are one of the only planes with an engine in the tail. 

Be happy to, Arlin.  I pass through Missoula nearly every year.  Hopefully Missoula isn't as smokey next year as it was this year, stopped for gas and a quick tour of the Harley shop, then got the heck out of there.  Keep in touch, be happy to work a lunch into the travel plans.  BK