Sign in to follow this  
ThePunisher

IH LB Engine

I picked up an old lb motor (3-5hp) that I plan on restoring. It is complete and turns freely, but the previous owner said it has been in the barn untouched for at least 20 years. Surprisingly, the oil wasn't horrible when I changed it, but I don't have much spark. I took the points cover off and when I cranked the engine, there was no spark. I took some sand paper and cleaned the points with it and I am now getting spark fairly consistently at the points, but nothing at the cap or at the plug. The cap where the spark plug wire comes out is cracked, but has been repaired at some point. The little tab inside seems good. I tried a different plug wire with a new plug but still nothing. Having little experience with magnetos and points, where should I investigate next? Does Steiner carry any of these parts? I found an owners manual, and that cap seems to be the same as the one in Steiner's catalogue... however maybe the coil itself is bad??? I am kind of lost as to what to do next...

Pics? I would have to reread a book i have on mags but there will be a condenser in there too that could be bad. Also i think you will want a soild core plug wire? Idk if points spark im thinking coil, condenser are working. At moment i would lean towards cap or wire....or the rotor or button it touches...

Smokstak is a great information resource also there is a fella on youtube  "shopdogsam"  that has many videos on repairing

the IH small engines ,   I linked one video here -- search for the other videos he has made ,he covers many many

topics,      here is a link to his videos shopdogsam - YouTube - YouTube

Thank you both for the info! As an update, I did get it going. For whatever reason both of my test lights showed no sign of power at the coil. However, if u were to hold ur thumb on the coil and turn the motor over, u very quickly discover there is substantial power present!!! 😂

The plug wires you tried, were they copper inner core ? I've read the carbon fiber inner wire has too much resistance, therefor won't spark that well. How well is it running?

Seems to run good as far as I can tell... I'm quite happy with it🙂! I think the biggest issue were the points... I cleaned them again before I got it going and I made sure the plug wire was in the cap tight. After my shocking discovery, I found my spark plug tester and lo and behold, it had spark!! On the third crank it fired!! Sounds silly but nothing feels better than getting a motor to start and run after trying to figure out why it won't! 😊

Glad you got it going. Those are cool.