pt756

3688 ?

there is a 3688 for sale in area, looks really nice DuPont tune up? 6k hours. what are they? a 986? they have a 436 motor I understand so our old 1066 is pretty much stock been checked right around 135 hp. would the 3688 be close? would like to run discbine with it 13 foot new Holland 1431, are the clutches and rear end gears the same as a 966? what about axle size? I have always thought they would be an ok tractor basicallya dressed up 66 series with out the 88 transmission, I was told they shift better is it because of a better transmission brake they aren't synchro are they? and is there less linkage than a 86 series. had one of those also/ thanks

1 hour ago, pt756 said:

would the 2350 loader on the 1066 bolt on to the 3688?

I think I read here a 2355 loader is needed for a 3688.  A 3688 was Nebraska tested at 113.72 pto hp.  Just a bit more than a 966/986 but not quite a 1066.  Same 3-1/4 inch axles same as 1066.

A 3688 is a 986 with 88 series sheet metal. Only differences are transmission brake, electronic ta and maybe a few other minor differences. Tractordata.com will have most of the info you're looking for regarding HP.

They had pfc/closed center hydraulics. Also could have up to 4 hydraulic outlets. 

A 2350 will fit but you have to take the side panels off.

Had one and had a love hate relationship with it. Loved driving it it was a very handy size for haying and planting. But I hated working on it and that never seemed to stop. The pfc hydraulic is a weak point.  They are very prone to breaking the input shaft on the pump. And a discbine or forage blower are two things that can cause it to break along with a square baler. Old IH mechanic warned to avoid using it on these jobs and he was right.....

so would a 986 have less problems with the hydraulic pump should be just like our 10 and 1466? was hoping that a 2350 would fit on it, and I understand that when it comes to radiator time that si very expensive? we have dairy cows and it would always be doing those haying jobs,