Sign in to follow this  
Ihfan4life

Self loading round bale wagon

K- title says it all!

Anyone use or made a self loading bale mover?

I would like a quicker one person way of moving round bales.

Sid

I used a hayhiker 881, held 8 bales worked pretty slick needed brakes in hill country it pushed the mx125 around pretty good. Took some getting used too but easy to damage wrap if not careful. Its been years but a seem to remember welds on the bale lift, but his rounds were very heavy too.

Something like this

DSCF2361_Meea6e7f8-3f85-449e-9aa6-34a3ca56aff6.jpg.45a64470be0a7498ee3077a75ae32da5.jpg

Probably 80% of the cattle and hay farmers around here have one. We don't  have one yet, since the truck and trailer is alot faster. I'd say Highline is the most popular, then Morris, then some other brands. Most of the ones built now carry 14 round bales. The arms have most likely been welded up on any older models, but they do get alot of abuse from hitting the bales and lifting all while moving. They work real good for stacking bales on the field.

There's other types of round bale movers to. Haukaas is another one here, kind of a different design but I've heard it works well and is easier on net wrap. 

Back in the fall of'89 at my dad's cousin's place I used one that held 5 bales. Was two tubes parallel to each other, hydraulic swing out, tilt the front down to the ground with hydraulics. Then you drove into the bale while a chain on each rail was hydraulic driven. Once you had it flush with the front you raised it and drove to the next one and repeated. Once full swing it behind the truck ( he had a small Tioleta ) and drive back to the farm. Then back up to the row of bales tilt the back down and run them off of the back. 

I have no clue what brand but it worked well

We still use one that used to be self loading and unloading it had an arm that lifted the bales up and on then a single chain moved them back. Unloading them just run the chain and pull forward. Problem was the chain it always ripped the twines. Net wrap would have been worse probably don’t know never used it with net wrapped bales

4 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

IH had one of these in their lineup.20170804_144335.thumb.jpg.96c0fabf31b2cc4198db6aa4cac1df68.jpg

20170615_145943.jpg

I never knew IH had one! I’m under the impression that the hitch moved to the side to load it? Seems like a simple design compared to the side loaders

IH had a model 30, 3 bale and a model 50 5 bale. They're pictured in the 78 buyers guide.

Alan

IMG_0803.JPG