RedPower5488

local 5488

You can buy a rough Magnum for that price, but I don’t think one that clean with those hours. Higher than a lot of 54’s but looks very well taken care of. Especially if you will be the sole or primary operator, I don’t think you’d be sorry. 

Personally I don't think the price is out of line, but I wanted a few opinions. It has decent rubber, a new cab interior, aa full rack of weights. Only downfall is no tilt steering and I really wanted 18.4 42  rears but these look to me like 20.8s, not a deal breaker tho. I will be only operator no hired help here.

That machine should be in top notch shape for that coin.  Just sold a beautiful mx240, 8000 hours, rebuild trans, base/clear DuPont paint, brand new firestones on all fours corners, 2000 lbs of steel weights for less than that.

What would you guys value it at then?

I'm not an appraisal expert by any means, but 22-25 is more what I expect it would bring

It is a 5488 front assist, which means $$$. Full front weights and good condition so asking price is not out of line. On auction it would be in the 20's like ihfarmer1586 said. If I were shopping for one I would not be scared off.

2 hours ago, ihfarmer1586 said:

That machine should be in top notch shape for that coin.  Just sold a beautiful mx240, 8000 hours, rebuild trans, base/clear DuPont paint, brand new firestones on all fours corners, 2000 lbs of steel weights for less than that.

That's because that's an mx. This is a 5488^_^

Probably worth less than $30 but it appears to be real straight, only thing I don't like is that it's an early one so it probably won't have some of the updates.  If you drive it and it's nice and tight pull the trigger.

Make sure sentry module is in it.  I got another one in shop with burned up trans because of test harness.  Just dont know when people will learn not to run these.  Looks like nice tractor.

Mike

A second look on my PC it sure looks well taken care of, I will point out it has the rotary pump instead of the inline pump.

Where is the sentry located?

10 hours ago, tractorholic said:

I think $3.20 corn is finally catching up with most producers.  The last 5488 I saw sell on auction was a nice looking 2wd that brought $7200.  So $33500 seems out of line.

49 minutes ago, RedPower5488 said:

Where is the sentry located?

Open door between pedals.  The sentry is mounted on left wall.  Make sure its there and plugged in

Mike

49 minutes ago, ihfarmer1586 said:

I think $3.20 corn is finally catching up with most producers.  The last 5488 I saw sell on auction was a nice looking 2wd that brought $7200.  So $33500 seems out of line.

I gave $6000 this summer my 2wd w/duals and a full rack of weights. It's not a gem but it sure isn't hashed. A bit rough but all there FWA 5288 brought $14k at an auction hete this summer and it had a $8k loader on it. I agree $30k is high.

20171030_141253.jpg

It says the ad has been posted about a month, and updated 18 days ago, so evidently buyers aren't knocking down the door.

Might try a 20K-ish offer and see what happens.

Good luck

Mike

15 hours ago, tractorholic said:

Lol, that's what I was thinking even before I read this down further here. 

There doesn't seem to be much middle ground on these tractors.

21 hours ago, ihfarmer1586 said:

Judging from some of the comments, was the mx that bad of a tractor? Seems like the early ones had some electrical issues, but I thought the latter ones were better? 

As far as the 5488, considering farm commodity prices are down, perhaps that is high priced? Mid twenties? I would love to have a 5*88 series, but than the practical side of me says you’re 2/3 the way into a nice Magnum.

Sid

No, it was sold at auction.  It was a very sharp, great running machine, I certainly expected more, but the farm economy here is crap.  I just watched an auction this week where some 92&9370 stiegers brought between 10-35k.  And the expensive one had nice triples and a FULL set of weights front and rear, 6000 hours.  Anyone seriously wanting to sell farm equipment has to be willing to sell cheap, unless commodity prices double.

1 hour ago, ihfarmer1586 said:

No, it was sold at auction.  It was a very sharp, great running machine, I certainly expected more, but the farm economy here is crap.  I just watched an auction this week where some 92&9370 stiegers brought between 10-35k.  And the expensive one had nice triples and a FULL set of weights front and rear, 6000 hours.  Anyone seriously wanting to sell farm equipment has to be willing to sell cheap, unless commodity prices double.

I watched that auction too, just remember those tractors were ran hard and the 9270 had 9000 hours on a twelve speed trans.  The 9370 was a good buy though.

I looked at the tractor in person this weekend and drove it around  the yard and down the road, tach reads 14 mph at wide open, fuel gauge doesn't work it just wanders back and forth like crazy, ac doesn't blow cold, he has never investigated. Set up on 30" rows and doesn't turn worth a $!&@ but I assume I can jack the front up and put the tires on the opposite sides to be able to turn sharper?

I don't know if you can improve the turning radius, but the electrical problems scare me.  It could be as simple as a bad ground, but with an electrically controlled transmission it could turn into a huge repair.  IMO the seller is way off base, that's why it's still for sale.  If he'll take 30-40% off his pie in the sky asking price, and you're comfortable with doing some repair and maintenance yourself, then it may be a good one to buy.  As I said earlier though, the entire ag sector is down.  35 year old tractors are down too.  It's a buyers market out there, don't let anyone tell you different.  If you've always wanted a 5488, and who wouldn't, it's probably a good time to hunt up a deal.  Either way you decide, good luck!!

Is that truely an electrical issue? The RPM readout and other gauges work as they should. He was the second owner and supposedly it had a lot of work done to it before he bought it.