Sign in to follow this  
dads706

Dec 7th

I'm 67 and wasn't born yet, but I know there are others here older than me. If you are old enough, what were you doing on Dec 7th '41 when you heard the news? 

It's just one of those questions I ask men and women of my fathers generation.

I'm Was born in 1956,   My father was a teen in a One room school house in rural mid Michigan,   His mother (my Grand 'ma) was his Teacher,   When I asked about that event, of Dec. 7th,    he recalled it took a few days for a local newspaper to have most of the information about Pearl Harbor,   Electric power hadn't been connected to that part of the county yet.     He said,  The following Sunday The "Church Service" was dedicated to those folks that were lost,  A member of the "Military" was at the church to share what he "Knew" about the "Japanese Attach" .  

In January of my dad's Senior in high school,  He and a group of young men went to Detroit Mi. and "Enlisted in the Navy" .  Dad was placed on a "Fuel Tanker ship" a floating gas station to refuel destroyers and aircraft carriers in the " Pacific Ocean" .  Dad had some great story's of what he saw.  He Never left the "Ship" , these tanker ships were extremely powerful, and when they were completely full of fuel most of ship was all but bellow the water line of the ocean,   at full power they would slid in next to a cruiser while still in motion,  hook up fuel lines and unload,  as the fuel was moved to another ship there ship would "Rise" out of the water and be Exposed to "enemy aircraft"  he was on a empty ship without weapons to defend it self,   a " Floating ship full of fuel fumes "  After they Refueled the combat ships, they headed back to refill there ship at the nearest fuel depot and back out to the emptiest   "Navel Battleship".     Dad came back to his family farm in 1947.  the rest is "History".

Jim Droscha

Man, those soldiers were sitting ducks. I can`t even imagine. 

My parents and brother and I were getting ready for church that Sunday morning. I was 4yrs and a week old then near Romney, Indiana.