Sign in to follow this  
Mudfly

Case IH 9190 - Ever Built?

I happened to be on Tractordata looking at something and happened to notice that CaseIH and/or Steiger has a 9190 listed.  Its listed rating is at 525 HP, but doesn't have any numbers built.  It appears it may have only been built in 1987.   Was the model discontinued?  Were they ever built?  The 9180 was only rated at 375 HP, so this was quite a jump. 

Since there was no 9290 built and the 9390 was rated at a much lower HP (425 HP), I would assume that the transmission and drive train was insufficient to hold up to that amount of HP, but that was just my speculation.  

Or is the information on tractor data incorrect?  Just curious as to if anyone had any information or history on this model?  

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/001/2/1/1211-caseih-9190.html

You heard of a couple out in western nd. Steiger built them before being bought out so drive train could handle the power.

Versatile was running tractors with the 1150 for a while. Was rumors of some of the early red Steiger runnning some Cat engines. Don't know if they were actual caseih tractors or if they were sold through Steiger dealers and painted red with caseih model number.

I think the 9190 was the tiger painted red . 

Alan

Yup, there were 9190s-most were sold "down under" in Australia. Same thing as a later Steiger Tiger. They had the 1150 Cummins with an Allison Automatic trans.

CaseIH/Steiger hurt themselves when it comes to the Tigers/9190s in later years. They were a "batch tractor", meaning the assembly line had to shut down all other models just to build the 9190s/Tigers. Steiger built them in batches of 25 at a time or so, depending on orders. CaseIH also required a 25% down payment when a tractor was ordered. You may have to wait upwards of 2 years on a tractor that you had to pay 25% down just to order it-something most people didn't care for.

Dale, there were several early red Steigers that had Caterpillar engines. They usually have extra resale value because of the Kitty engines. Cat engines were offered up to serial #3600 IIRC, which started production July 1, 1989.

1 hour ago, SDman said:

Yup, there were 9190s-most were sold "down under" in Australia. Same thing as a later Steiger Tiger. They had the 1150 Cummins with an Allison Automatic trans.

That's interesting.  I always thought the 9190's had the power shift transmission.

CIH 9190's were a rebadged/red Steiger Tiger KP-525 Series IV. The same 1150 Cummins and the same 6 speed Allision Automatic w/ a 4 speed transfer case. I believe there was a total of 250 tractors made between all the extra-big frame (ST-450's,470's & 525/9190's) tractors. Only 15 or so of them being "factory" 9190's.

9190.jpg.ccc7b4551b35e8055761e68d8df9bf73.jpg

The only reason I ever heard of them is my brothers roommate farmed about 10,000 acres with a 60 ft concord  airseeder and 1156 versatile and he always wanted a 9190 if he could find one.

In the early years of production(1978-1980ish)you could get the 3408 Cat or the non- intercooled 1150 Cummins, they were ST-450's. Later the ST-450's only had the 3408 Cat and the ST-470 only had the Intercooled 1150 Cummins.

Interesting!  I didn’t know they ever put the 3408 in a tractor. 

Did the Steiger's with the Allison shift automatically or did they have the touch pad for gear selection?

Thats pretty neat. Imagine the work you could get done with one of those!

36 minutes ago, Long Farms said:

Some of the last Tiger IVs were painted Red with 9190 S/N tags.

They were the EXACT same tractor.

1 hour ago, BOBSIH856 said:

Did the Steiger's with the Allison shift automatically or did they have the touch pad for gear selection?

The early models had a mechanical cable/linkage and the later ones had a electronic shift but it was still a lever. They all had a "lock-up" torque converter. The lock-up could be adjusted to what rpm's you wanted it to lock up at, but it was done with wrenches.

^ i know they were the same tractor, but some of the 1st SN 9190s still had Tiger IV emblem on hood, Case IH on grille and painted red. When they used up old inventory they started putting 9100 series decals on and badging them as 9190 like in the pic and most of those are down under. The Steiger to Case IH 4wds had some mix matched mutts untill they assembled what was in the line and used up parts on hand. Then they all started coming out red with 9100 series and all case ih badging. 

1 hour ago, Long Farms said:

The Steiger to Case IH 4wds had some mix matched mutts untill they assembled what was in the line and used up parts on hand. 

Ain't that the truth. I know of a 9170 around here that has green paint under the red(back axle) and black(front axle) paint that CaseIH painted it from the factory-also has a Steiger floor mat instead of the all black ones that most 9100 series had. 

The Steiger Tigers and Versatile 1150/1156s were the respective makes' answer to Big Bud, which used the 1150 Cummins as well in their bigger models.

Interestingly, some of the later Big Buds used the same Fuji Intravance  transmissions as the CaseIH's had in them in the 9100 series. Steiger Series IV tractors used a Twin-Disc powershift that was also used by Case in their 4994 and Versatile in some of their models.

The first big changes in the CaseIH Steigers came at serial#JCB0003600, July 1, 1989 production date. They started putting Hy-Tran in the axles, quit painting the Steiger models green, stopped calling the Steigers by the feline names and started calling them 9100 series as well. They also installed smaller hydraulic pumps(27GPM vs. 44GPM) on the bigger models.

I'm not exactly sure when the Steiger-branded tractors and Steiger dealership network ended. I do have pictures of a Steiger 9270(not CaseIH) so I'm guessing in the 1991-92 time frame. When I went to service training on the 9200 series in 1993 there was no mention of Steiger tractors at that time-only CaseIH "Fargo-built" tractors as they called them at the time.

Interesting.  So sounds like Steiger had a 500+ HP tractor, and maybe versatile.  Big Bud had been there for awhile.

Did Deere have anything that even came close at the time?  

Seems like there wasn’t a huge demand for that much H.P. but it was available.

was there anyone else with an offering in this horsepower range at the time?

12 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

Interesting.  So sounds like Steiger had a 500+ HP tractor, and maybe versatile.  Big Bud had been there for awhile.

Did Deere have anything that even came close at the time?  

Seems like there wasn’t a huge demand for that much H.P. but it was available.

Closest Deere had was the 370 hp 8850.  

The last 2 green Steigers were decaled as 9180s, but some of the 1st CIH 9170s and 9180s had the early Steiger Panther 1000 body style. Tiger IVs are awesome 525hp brutes but if the 4spd drop box grenades, its a 25ton brick. No more parts. The Tiger IIIs are more sought after. Some Tiger IIIs ST-450 and ST-470s went back for upgrades and came back decaled as ST-525. 

IMG_0643.PNG

They look like toy models in that brochure.....

2 hours ago, SDman said:

Ain't that the truth. I know of a 9170 around here that has green paint under the red(back axle) and black(front axle) paint that CaseIH painted it from the factory-also has a Steiger floor mat instead of the all black ones that most 9100 series had. 

The Steiger Tigers and Versatile 1150/1156s were the respective makes' answer to Big Bud, which used the 1150 Cummins as well in their bigger models.

Interestingly, some of the later Big Buds used the same Fuji Intravance  transmissions as the CaseIH's had in them in the 9100 series. Steiger Series IV tractors used a Twin-Disc powershift that was also used by Case in their 4994 and Versatile in some of their models.

The Series 3 Big Buds used either a 6 or 9 speed Twin Disc if equipped with a powershift.  The series 4 used either the 12 speed Fujitech or the 12 speed Twin Disc. 

Here's a page on the 9190 from a Steiger Tractor Guide (on PDF )

CIH Steiger 9190 Information.png

They are models i made and recreated old ads. No true Case IH badged and 9190 decaled tractor has surfaced and been photographed and posted on line. A few true red tiger IVs with 9190 sn have have surfaced and some Tiger IVs once green painted red and decaled a 9190 have popped up too. So far there is no other 9190 decaled pic 4wd outside of the brochure.

IMG_0645.JPG

DSC02293.jpg

IMG_0698.JPG

DSC01688-1.jpg

IMG_4996_zpse1d2e3b4.jpg

IMG_0778.JPG

IMG_0649.JPG

IMG_0788.JPG

IMG_0779.JPG

P3240038.jpg

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 8:30 PM, Long Farms said:

The last 2 green Steigers were decaled as 9180s, but some of the 1st CIH 9170s and 9180s had the early Steiger Panther 1000 body style.

What's the diff?  What else did CIH change from the 1000s?

Never seen a 9190 (or a Tiger)  but remember being in awe when I got that old CIH 4WD brochure with it in the back.  "The definition of power."

18 hours ago, 5088 said:

What's the diff? 

Quite a bit, actually. So much so that I consider the very early 9170s/80s a completely different tractor than the later machines. The first 500 or so 70s & 80s were Series IV machines like Long Farms described. About the only things that are the same between the 2 are the engines and Raba axles.

The first thing you will notice about the older machines is that the tilt-forward hood doesn't go all the way back to the cab-there's a cowling that is about 2 feet long that fits between the hood and front of the cab that covers the AC unit on the front of the cab that is separate from the hood.

These machines also used  a Twin-Disc 12-speed powershift transmission instead of the Fuji/Intravance EW-16 transmission that most 9100 series used.

From a service tech's point of view that worst thing on those older 9100 series is what Steiger called their SECC(Steiger Electronic Control Center) system. It used a series of printed circuit boards(everyone referred to them as "cards") that plugged into a control box in the RR corner of the cab. Think of a system that had about the same technology as IH's Sentry system used on their 50 series tractors-and try to run the whole tractor off of that system(air conditioning, transmission, 3pt. hitch, etc). For the most part the system worked OK, but it could pull your hair out when it didn't. And just like IH's Sentry system, once the company got bought out by Papa Case/Tenneco, all further development/improvement of the system was dropped immediately. 

One other thing you will notice about the early 9100s is that all the gauges are on the dash, not on the RH corner post like the later 91/92/9300 series did.

I've got a couple early 9100s still around; I cringe when those guys call with major problems.

One more thing on 9190s. I looked through some of my old Steiger info last night. It shows that there was a last batch of 9190s/Tigers built in 1990 starting at SN#4600, which would make sense since the #SN3600 break started at July 1989. I'm guessing those machines all went to Australia