Sign in to follow this  
oleman

Fed Emissions test results fo Suburbam

Attached are currents test results for our 93 freshly overhauled 454 Suburban.

How do the results look?

scan0001.jpg

Your burban puts out the same emissions as a brand new rig. Clearly you need to upgrade. To a 70k $ vehicle.

Did you at least stop at Hutchins BBQ while you were in town?

15 minutes ago, SMiller said:

Did you at least stop at Hutchins BBQ while you were in town?

Same fine food they have always had.

A rebuild at 123,000 miles?  In round numbers, I get 2 to 3 times that many miles on my cars/trucks and unload them because the vehicle is nearing end of it's life, but engine still runs O-K.

Did they enter the wrong vehicle info? Paper says 1500 sub with 5.7L V8

Big dose of E85 in a nearly empty tank? Running pretty c-lean.

Back in the e test days here in MN, my old carbureted 200k mile F150's had no chance passing without a little help. So I took a washer fluid jug and filled it with isopropyl and ran a fuel hose through the cap, zip tied the jug up under the hood. I would pull into the parking lot across the road from the test station and swap my fuel line over to the jug, then proceed to get it tested. Get my "pass"certificate...... that thing was a clean air machine! Drive right back to the lot and swap back.

Enough people were cheating this way that the state just dropped the testing requirements. 

19 minutes ago, BOBSIH856 said:

Did they enter the wrong vehicle info? Paper says 1500 sub with 5.7L V8

It is the correct VIN but the rest of the data is not correct.  Don't believe the machine decodes the VIN and the tech kid just put something in the fields.

The engine had 207,000 miles when I tore it down.  Found no bad bearings or bores and the crank went back in with a polish.  I had it bored +20 just to fit in  higher compression pistons. Standard compression ratio on a stock 93 454 was calculated to be  only about 7.2:1 with no squench.  Heads had leaking exhaust valves on 2 cylinders and blown head gasket between the cylinders 6 and 8..

Actually the pistons are stock forged LS-6 from 1970 454 but with the "modern truck head" with gigantic combustion chambers the CR is 9.2:1 or so.

The cam kit is a comp cams RV grind. Their model CB XE256H-10.

All electrics are new or rebuilt. EXCEPT I have not done anything to the ECM.

Standard rebuilt TBI. New cat, single exhaust 3"  big flomaster muff.

Proving that a stock TBI system will support more performance mods and still pass emission tests.

I still run a carb on a 440 375 Mopar but am seriously considering a version  of the MK-V 454 system on the mopar.

2 minutes ago, oleman said:

It is the correct VIN but the rest of the data is not correct.  Don't believe the machine decodes the VIN and the tech kid just put something in the fields.

The engine had 207,000 miles when I tore it down.  Found no bad bearings or bores and the crank went back in with a polish.  I had it bored +20 just to fit in  higher compression pistons. Standard compression ratio on a stock 93 454 was calculated to be  only about 7.2:1 with no squench.  Heads had leaking exhaust valves on 2 cylinders and blown head gasket between the cylinders 6 and 8..

Actually the pistons are stock forged LS-6 from 1970 454 but with the "modern truck head" with gigantic combustion chambers the CR is 9.2:1 or so.

The cam kit is a comp cams RV grind. Their model CB XE256H-10.

All electrics are new or rebuilt. EXCEPT I have not done anything to the ECM.

Standard rebuilt TBI. New cat, single exhaust 3"  big flomaster muff.

Proving that a stock TBI system will support more performance mods and still pass emission tests.

I still run a carb on a 440 375 Mopar but am seriously considering a version  of the MK-V 454 system on the mopar.

Figured it was a typo. I bet the overhaul sure added some get up and go to your suburban.

5 minutes ago, BOBSIH856 said:

Figured it was a typo. I bet the overhaul sure added some get up and go to your suburban.

First and foremost  the Suburban is a working truck, it weighs 6900# empty [certified scales] and so I didn't expect to to be anything like a hotrod.

With good 4.11 gears and the lower geared 4L80 automatic, it will move smartly to get into moving traffic or away from a stop with the 2000 EW trailer attached.

The 454 was always a good powerful engine, now the fuel it consumes produces more respectable go-power.

I have used it some off road and it is a powerful machine  in 4 W low.