I'm needing new tips/points on my ripper. It's a 5 shank of unknown origin but I have a heavy white clay (called crawfish dirt down here) with a hard plow pan about 8-14 inches down. Wondering people's opinion on best ripper points or tips, I was gonna get the winged tips but I don't know if they are the best for my situation or if there is better. Looking for experienced input, hopefully. Thanks in advance.  Jonathan 

Sorry but can admin delete all but one of my post. I don't know what I did wrong there, sorry.

Is it common to rip there? Around here if you rip clay it just seals back up waste of time and fuel 

The concern is with wet clay the wing tips compress the soil structure which can create more of a drainage problem then u have now. A straight point with no wings might be ok

We farm some clay soils and like the winged points. Creates more shattering and lifting effect. 

Lots of farmers around here running the 360 winged points on case IH disc rippers.

On 12/7/2017 at 11:59 AM, dumbfarmer said:

Is it common to rip there? Around here if you rip clay it just seals back up waste of time and fuel 

I'm only about 10 miles from the Mississippi so there is alot of clay around especially in higher spots and the low laying land has black gumbo soil. I just was curious if the winged tips were the best for clay or if there was some other choice that would work better in clay. And yes, ripping every so often is common here. My land was farmed til late 80s and it has been fallow since then and during the winter there are some spots that water will stand for quite a while

Winged tips will do a good job for you. I run them on heavy clay river bottom ground. Wings help shatter between the shanks. 

1 hour ago, Cool1566 said:

Winged tips will do a good job for you. I run them on heavy clay river bottom ground. Wings help shatter between the shanks. 

*as long as it’s dry underneath it shatters

On 12/9/2017 at 12:07 PM, jass1660 said:

*as long as it’s dry underneath it shatters

Very true. If you try to do repair type tillage when it's to wet you will increase the damage rather than fix anything