Sign in to follow this  
806frank

986 gear noise

The driven to gear on our 986 has a tooth broken off, so makes a clicking noise every revaluation. Would you split ta housing to fix, or run as is?everything else work as should

Which gear is gone? How do you know?

Won't be long and the one next to it will go too. 

The rest of the story, tractor started making rattling noise, sounded like from rear. Of engine dropped pan and removed couple of rod caps ,found one with wear and some crank damage. Thought that was problem. Did major out of frame overhaul.put back together still have noise drained rear end and dropped transmission brake. Found gear tooth laying on housing.

I would guess that you have a tooth missing on lower PTO drive gear, with your speed transmission bottom cover off (where you accessed the transmission brake) carefully check the very front lower gear for a missing tooth. May have to have someone bar engine over while you watch. Pretty easy fix, tractor has to be split between speed and range transmission to allow gear to (drop) out. I always use threaded studs at split joint to keep everything aligned, roll it apart far enough gear will drop out. To install new split gasket which has to go around lower IPTO shaft which would require rolling tractor apart 3 ft or so, instead I cut the new gasket with interlocking cut (think puzzle piece) and fit it around the shaft. Also make sure you replace the o-ring on front pump suction port between speed and range housings.