Matt Kirsch

1586 Pictures

Well to avoid any further forum rule infractions, here is my recent purchase. My "new" 1586.

So far it seems to be an all original tractor, except the tires of course. 2885 hours on the tach. Shifts like a new tractor, so I believe it. The engine block appears to be original as does the injector pump, which has the IH tag on it. Cab is beautiful inside.

Someone had left the key on so the batteries were dead. They jumped it off of a car battery, it fired right up with a quick puff of black smoke like a proper DT436.

1586_1.jpg

1586_2.jpg

1586_3.jpg

1586_4.jpg

1586_5.jpg

Nice we had two 1566’s at one time, slow pigs on the road but they got the job done. 

they are a good ole horse, sometimes a little short on gear selections though, we have had ours for many years nephews wanted to get rid of it several years ago but were out voted [since I have the majority vote] I put a nice farmhand loader on it and use it as a chore tractor it will stay as long as I stay.

12 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Thanks. Now I have to figure out how to get it home. About 150 miles.

From where to where?  The 1586 looks sharp.

Newark Valley NY to North Java NY

I don't plan on doing anything to it cosmetically except maybe cut some new "1586" numbers.

Nice tractor, really like those as said above. they get the job done. is it okay to ask what u paid? just guessing 6 to 8 ?  Never had a problem with gear selction pretty much high 1 throttled back.

Nice looking tractor.

66/86 series prices are about 30% higher here in the Northeast, and I still think I stole it, if that is any indication.

Don't know why I'm being coy with what I paid, because if you can find the auction results online, you'll know...

For comparison purposes, and for those that didn't read the other thread, there was a clapped out 1466 on this sale too. 7800-ish hours, open station, rops, wore out 18.4x38 DynaTorques, didn't steer, jumpy 3pt, 3pt balls wore out to category 4, PTO didn't want to stop, drawbar pulled almost clean through... Brought $5150.

Later in the sale, a 966 advertised as "rough but runs good," and it was rough. Mismatched rear hubs so it had seen things and done stuff. 3pt was in a pile on the ground underneath it. Shifter so sloppy you could put it in hi, low AND reverse at the same time. Missing a lot of cosmetic stuff. I didn't even climb on it to check the hours for fear of contracting tetanus... Brought $6250, I think.

Last but not least, there was a real nice 766 that I'd seen sell at the RG Mason fall auction for <$7000. I think it got bid in. This time around it brought $7750 or thereabouts.

Nice 15 matt!

5 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Thanks. Now I have to figure out how to get it home. About 150 miles.

You'll make it in  10 hours flat..........!B)

22 minutes ago, TomH said:

You'll make it in  10 hours flat..........!B)

But, I don't want to wear the tires out!!! ;)

That would be a once in a lifetime trip. Oh the memories you would make.  

Nice tractor!  Congrats! 

Just now, Matt Kirsch said:

Wear THOSE tires out?   Drive it like you stole it!!!!

2 hours ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Wear THOSE tires out?   Drive it like you stole it!!!!

He did ( probably steal it). My guess is that he shelled out $4,500 for this nice 15. 

Some say they are slow but I think they still go faster than the 30 series junk deere do 

4 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

What size are they,  I thought 20.8 at first but they look wider in the rear view?

They are 20.8.  Needs a set of Deep Tread Firestones on it.  You got lucky on that one.  Nice rig.  Love those wide front tires.

PS.  If you have engine trouble, Do NOT put a reman. in it.:P

19 minutes ago, rsscott said:

PS.  If you have engine trouble, Do NOT put a reman. in it.:P

Troublemaker lol

6 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Troublemaker lol

Matt knows I'm just joking.  As irritating as it is, I think all of us have had trouble with buying something and getting cheated.  On the bright side, Matt's 1066 is a legit Black Stripe and is worth what a new block and rebuild is going to cost.  I had to do the same thing after paying almost seven grand for my 1066 and I got green liquid out of the oil pan after running it for only ten hours.  I'll bet someone on here has a good engine core for that ten.

Drive it i drove my combine 70 miles at 13.5 mph

If it was March through September, I would, but the days are too short for a 10 hour tractor drive especially when you're starting out with an unknown quantity. As good as it looks it's still got a lot of unknowns. Don't know if the TA works. Don't know if the brakes work. Don't know if the lights work. Don't even know if it runs beyond starting and revving a few times...

Fortunately I found a hauler. Put an ad on Y T's hauling schedule, and had a call within and hour from a guy with a good reputation who lives near the auction and has dealt with the auctioneer numerous times. He's squeezing me in end of next week.

Matt, I'd almost be willing to bet that will be a good one for you.  Hours are low and it looks cared for.  Keep us posted.

On 12/6/2017 at 8:51 PM, rsscott said:

They are 20.8.  Needs a set of Deep Tread Firestones on it.  You got lucky on that one.  Nice rig.  Love those wide front tires.

They could be I guess,  but they look more like 23.1 X 34  in that rear view.