Sign in to follow this  
1480x3

6 row mounted picker on 1486

1 hour ago, ZachGrant said:

I've always been told it takes 70# of ear corn to make a bushel of shell corn. If my math is right that makes around  $4.38/bushel. Plus I can get my corn out earlier than combining.

It's cheaper than cake (albeit lower protein) and cattle can pick it off the ground when there is snowcover. They lose a lot of corn on the ground if it's not on the ear.

Pa always used to say 72# ear corn to bushel so you’re probably close. 

There are a couple guys around here with the uni-system and 6 row heads. This year one guy came up with some monstrous picker with an 8 row head, not sure of the brand but it is huge and he can really cover some acres.

With 3 people (one picking, one unloading wagons, and one shuttling wagons) our 2 row picker never stops moving in 7 ton/acre corn and it is about the perfect flow. If we were picking much faster the bottleneck would be the unloading and we would need to find a bigger elevator.

20161006_152651.jpg

How do you go about picking those piles up. Several still pick here but it’s all put in cribs

2 hours ago, Bdse25 said:

How do you go about picking those piles up. Several still pick here but it’s all put in cribs

20160212_171808.jpg

A couple of guys that sold ear corn back 20 years ago or so used Farmhand Ranchhands like this to load ear corn.

DSC00133.JPG

13 hours ago, SDman said:

A couple of guys that sold ear corn back 20 years ago or so used Farmhand Ranchhands like this to load ear corn.

DSC00133.JPG

I've never seen one of those before, but for a designed loader it doesn't look like it has very good bucket visability when it's on the ground. Or can you see under that cross bar?

Just now, ZachGrant said:

I've never seen one of those before, but for a designed loader it doesn't look like it has very good bucket visability when it's on the ground. Or can you see under that cross bar?

It LOOKS like someone added some type of quick hitch to it, but I have not seen one of these before......

The farmhands like that all had quick attach. The later ones used the 3 hook points while early ones used only 2 hooks one on each arm. The red piece hooked on front seems to be a fork lift or bale spear attachment. One thing with a 9 ft snow bucket on a farm hand they could get more in the bucket than could safely lift. One thing those farmhands were good for was high reach repair or painting.raise arms crawl up cylinder and cable and if more reach put extension ladder in bucket. They had a 21 ft lift height so with ladder in bucket forty feet wasn't unreachable.

3 hours ago, dale560 said:

The farmhands like that all had quick attach. The later ones used the 3 hook points while early ones used only 2 hooks one on each arm. The red piece hooked on front seems to be a fork lift or bale spear attachment. One thing with a 9 ft snow bucket on a farm hand they could get more in the bucket than could safely lift. One thing those farmhands were good for was high reach repair or painting.raise arms crawl up cylinder and cable and if more reach put extension ladder in bucket. They had a 21 ft lift height so with ladder in bucket forty feet wasn't unreachable.

I'm about certain the f25 on my 560 goes higher than 21ft. Sure feels higher than that when you're in the bucket anyway haha

On 12/11/2017 at 10:11 AM, ZachGrant said:

Zach, I'll be honest with you in that I have never actually drove a Ranchhand. Farmhand made them in the early to mid 1970s using truck parts. They used a GMC V-6 gas truck engine, 4 or 5-speed truck transmission, and a truck axle for the drive axle. IIRC, they could go 30+ mph for top speed. The reason I remember the one guy that raised/sold ear corn wanted one so bad was that he had his ear corn scattered all over-he usually piled his ear corn at the edge of whatever field he was harvesting. He needed something with a fast road speed when he loaded trucks or when he fed his own cattle from a pile several miles away. I was told those things had a tendency to break axle shafts. As far as the visibility to the bucket, it looks like it could be a problem. This particular machine was at RPRU in Huron in 2014.

DSC00131.JPG

DSC00132.JPG